FireTV Stuttering Issue

Hummm…maybe ask @TabloSupport for the video player and while you are at it, open a ticket for this issue.

@Teregon @lowbee 

There are some existing issues with the FTV player that we’re working hard on. We’re doing some final testing/polishing over the next few days. Hopeful to push this out soon. Sorry for the wait on this!

@TabloSupport so the New Tablo Video Player (v1.6.3.0) for FireTV just updated automatically and it is NOT better than v1.6.2.0…

The v1.6.2.0 used to stutter and now the v1.6.3.0 fixed the stuttering but turn it into BUFFERING…
I uninstalled the new Video Player (v1.6.3.0) and go back to WebApp Video Player (v1.5.0.26) and LiveTV is silky smooth…looks like you have more work to do on the FireTV Video Player

@lowbee

I just updated to the newest Tablo Video Player on the Fire TV Stick, and I am not having any stuttering issues. I have a Tablo dual tuner with .28 firmware. My recording quality is set to 720p Roku / Chromecast.

What is your recording quality set to?

@theuser86 My recording quality is set to 1080p BUT I NEVER have any stuttering/buffering issues with any version of video player while watching recorded shows.  The stuttering/buffering issue only shows up when I watch LiveTV with either v1.6.2.0 or v1.6.3.0 video player

Perhaps you can run a 1080p test on your perfectly running setup to see if you’ll run into the stuttering/buffering issues on LiveTV and let us know.  If stuttering/buffering is going to happen, it will shows up within the first 3 minutes, try it on different channels too…the behavior of this bug is very non-deterministic.

@lowbee

I shall run a test later. I don’t use 1080p because I can’t use Tablo Connect at Full Quality then as my internet’s upload speed is only 10 Mbps.

I am having this issue as well on my Fire TV Stick, but not really on my Fire TV.  On the Fire TV it does it for the first 30 seconds then goes away.

Question I have is how do I un-install the current version of the video player? All I see is a single Tablo app referenced in the app manager.  I would assume that is the app itself not the video player?

How do I side load the older version

Sorry for my ignorance, I am only 1 week into this.  

Bumping this issue up again…

I opened a ticket with support on this FireTV stuttering/buffering issue with the latest video player (v1.6.3.0) and their initial respond was not a lot of people is having this problem so I am not sure if there is enough momentum for @TabloTV to do anything at this point. So for those who is having FireTV stuttering/buffering issue, please open a ticket with support to make sure they know it is a problem for some of us.

@Jeepwx03 you can sideload an App called “App Backup & Restore” to uninstall the FireTV video player and install the video player for the Android Web App (v1.5.0.26), that will be your workaround for the stuttering issue at the moment.

1 Like

So I just changed my Tablo dual tuner to 1080p recording quality. I am using the most up to date Tablo app with the newest Tablo Video Player on a Fire TV Stick and it played Live TV smoothly without buffering for 5 miuntes. Bandwidth monitoring on my router was 6-11 Mbps. I normally use the 720p Roku / Chromecast setting.

@lowbee

Have you tried switching your Tablo to 720p Roku / Chromecast?

I have the same issue with live TV buffering (for short bursts, every 15 seconds initally, then every few minutes on the Fire TV stick. It is the only device I see this on (and the only device I use that isn’t / can’t be hardwired. Stick is in same room as newish wireless router, in direct line of sight maybe 6 feet away. Don’t know if it is a video player issue, or some combination of that plus the stick being on wifi, but I definitely see the issue @Teregon has. I’m running latest Tablo .30FIT and latest FireTV stick firmware and Tablo App (plus video player). Haven’t tried sideloading the old video player, as I don’t watch any live TV and it isn’t worth my trouble, but thought I let @Tablo know that others are having this problem.

@ChrisFix

Are you running the Stick on the 5 GHz band for WiFi?

Please file a support ticket so @TabloTV know I am not the only one having this problem

@theuser86 I appreciate you trying out 1080p but I fail to see how setting a different “recording” quality would affect my LiveTV viewing unless the setting are mislabeled; beside, I have absolutely NO stuttering / buffering issues with video player v1.5.0.26 in any recording quality settings or playing either LiveTV or recorded show…so the problem has to be in the video player v1.6.3.0…I can’t think of any other logical explanation for this.

And for giggle, I did try putting recording quality to 720p and I have

• Buffering / stuttering issue with v1.6.3.0
  • NO buffering / stuttering issue with v1.5.0.26

@lowbee

This is an interesting bug. I really wonder what the difference between your set up and mine is that is causing the problem.

Same Tablo firmware, same Fire TV OS with same Tablo app version. The only difference is our networking equipment.

And different harddrives - which I believe account for some of the variant experiences people report with Tablo.

I just leave these here as I don’t know what to make of them (meaning they could mean absolutely nothing)

Plot 1 (v1.5.0.26 video player) = a 2 minutes bandwidth plot when Tablo is tuned to a LiveTV channel
Plot 2 (v1.6.3.0 video player) = a 2 minutes bandwidth plot when Tablo is tuned to the same channel for LiveTV viewing

v1.5.0.26 video player = NO stuttering / buffering
v1.6.3.0 video player = Stuttering / buffering happens at least once every 2 minutes…

Plot #1 (v1.5.0.26 video player)

Plot #2 (v1.6.3.0 video player)

p.s. new forum is good, I like it that I can post picture :grin:

I’m seeing a similar problem on my FireTV with the latest Tablo app. The FTV is hardwired back to my Gigabit router. Watching live tv stutters badly on the FTV app. Sitting on the couch with my laptop and watching the same live tv channel over my browser and wifi does not stutter at all.

I have a second FTV in a different room running the same version of the Tablo app on a different hard-wired network (100Mbs) and it is stuttering as well. This is definitely a problem with the Tablo app on FTV.

Just for fun, I streamed the live tv stream to my laptop while in a hotel across the internet and hotel wifi and there were no stuttering issues at the same time my wife was watching on the first FTV and the stream was stuttering.

I’ll be putting in a ticket with Tablo tomorrow since using Tablo’s ‘Contact’ link returns a page not found error.

Hopefully this will be addressed as the live tv stream is unusable as-is on the FTV.

Where did you see this? In the app itself?

I plan to chat with the FireTV team about this issue again today.

I just submitted a ticket on the stuttering Fire TV issue.

The broken link I was referring to above is the http://support.tablotv.com/hc/en-us/requests/new URL. I was able to reach this page this morning to submit the Ticket so this looks like a transient issue.

Tx @sstjean - This is provided by our third party ticketing software so they may have been offline briefly when you attempted to send a ticket last night.

Does anyone have a source of the video player v1.5.0.26 apk?