FireTV Stick just announced and special two day sale

Not only for one per order, but they only allow one per account. I tried to order a second one the next day and it said I had already purchased 1 at the discount price and could not purchase a second at that price.

@Angus  I ordered 2 at the same time that was all it allowed. Maybe once you submit an order it will not allow another even if you could have ordered 2 the first time :wink:

No, I tried to order two initially, but it would only allow one. You must have gotten your order in before they made they added the limit. :)  Oh well, I only really needed the one. I just thought I’d get more since it was such a good price!

I had a pleasant surprise this morning to learn that my FireStick has been shipped and should arrive this Thursday.  The original date was next week.  Can’t wait to try it out. 

@snowcat - Cool! Let us know how you like it!

@snowcat - You must have been one of the very first, mine are still saying Dec 10.

Quick review after playing around with it tonight…

I plugged it into the TV and plugged the power cord in, but when I first booted it up, it complained it was not plugged into a power socket (weird).  I just allowed it to continue. 

I really like how it finds all the networks, and all you have to do is select your network and enter a password if you need one (using the remote).  It recognizes both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz networks.   After getting on your network, it will upgrade the software (took me 5-10 minutes).   The software update seemed to fix the power plug warning issue.

I don’t use Plex, so I can’t comment on how the Tablo works (Plex does cost $5 on the Fire).  Netflix, Amazon Prime, and WatchESPN all played well on it.  Amazon Prime account info is already set up on the stick, Netflix allows you to enter your email and password directly on the stick, but WatchESPN required me to go to http://es.pn/firetv to get it setup (similar to the Roku).

I don’t like the remote quite as well as the Roku’s but it is still pretty good.  You can also download an app on Android to control it.  I haven’t looked up whether I can get my Harmony remote to work with it or not.

Overall, it’s a terrific deal at $20 (and still a good deal at $40), and I like it better than the Chromecast.   Hopefully Tablo can get an app for it.  The one app that I use a lot that I didn’t see was Crunchyroll (apparently there used to be a version, but it was too buggy).

@snowcat Thank you for the most informative review.  My FireTV Stick is still scheduled for 12/11.  I am anxious to see if it corrects a few issues I have with Chromecast.  Also, most curious about how it works with PLEX/TABLO.

I don't use Plex, so I can't comment on how the Tablo works (Plex does cost $5 on the Fire).

Plex apps on sale currently for $1.99.

Apparently it’s been tried without success.   For the FIre TV stick, looks like I’ll be waiting for Tablo to release dedicated app.

http://www.aftvnews.com/fire-tv-stick-will-not-accept-a-usb-keyboard-or-mouse/

So my 2 fire sticks slotted for Dec 11th originally…

"Arriving Wednesday, December 3, 2014"

Sweet!!!

Can’t wait to play!

Mine arrived over the weekend.   Had the initial nag screen about USB power not being sufficient but after ignoring it went through update and setup normal.    Haven’t done any benchmarks or tried streaming content over the home network yet but all streaming services work fine.   Menu’s may be very slightly slower than regular Fire TV although difference isn’t really significant.   I’ll side load Tablo android app later today and probably Kodi to see how it handles HD local content.   

Mine just arrived and I must say really unhappy about the power plug! What numbskull designed that? I need the size of a regular plug I am already full on my strip… uuuuugh!

So Plex on FireStick works, however as I have reported many times to @Davidvr the override of IP address does absolutely nothing so I can never watch the Tablo I want to watch. It always defaults to the one I do not watch. So from my perspective it is useless as of now.

I’ve sideloaded Kodi which works fine and have no problem streaming large HD high bit rate local content.   Will be sideloading Tablo web app shortly and will report back.

@7up

Glad to hear it, can’t wait for my Fire Stick. How’s the Plex UI on it?

I briefly tried Plex on Fire TV and  while it did allow playback of Tablo recordings without issue, navigating through shows was pretty painful so I abandoned it.     I will be trying it out on the Fire TV stick though.

@7up, I would love to know how the Tablo app works on it. But to be honest I still like the Roku interface much better… Easier to navigate in my opinion.

@Jestep

You’re like the only one who doesn’t complain about the Roku UI.

I wasn’t talking about the Tablo one, just Roku in general :wink: @theuser86