Fire TV awake from sleep

It seems when my Fire TV goes to sleep with Tablo paused in the middle of the show whenever I wake it up with any button (typically select or play), the show starts back over at the beginning and loses its place.

Any idea?

Someone else reported this today. Guess it’s a known bug. I generally watch a show until the end, or if I know I’ll be gone long I exit the Tablo app and turn off my TV.

@critikle - We tried to reproduce this today but weren’t able to.

Can you let us know:

• How long was the show you were watching?
  • What point of the show did you pause it at (e.g. 30 minute mark)?
  • How long did you have it on pause before hitting Play?
  • What version of Tablo firmware and FireTV app are you running?

I don’t think this is a bug. My FireTV box and stick do the same thing in Tablo, Hulu, Netflix, and Watch ESPN apps when I pause. It actually starts a picture slide show first, then sleeps. I have not noticed it going back to start in Hulu or Netflix when I resume, but I rarely use Tablo with FireTV.

• How long was the show you were watching?

It happens on all shows I’ve seen. Mostly hour-long shows.

• What point of the show did you pause it at (e.g. 30 minute mark)?

It happens every time, so anywhere from 5 minutes on I guess.

• How long did you have it on pause before hitting Play?

It pauses to the point of the Fire TV going to screensave, then sleep and the screen going black. I am not completely sure if it does it if it just activates the screensaver. I can test this some more.

• What version of Tablo firmware and FireTV app are you running?

2.2.2 for Tablo. It’s the newest firmware on the new 2nd gen Fire TV. I’ll check on the exact version later.

This happens for me on the Nexus Player too since the last app update. Happens every time it switches to the “daydream” mode (when it starts showing those random photos). By default this happens after being left paused for 5 minutes so I’m getting around it for now by increasing the time before it goes to daydream mouse

Just an update…

I did get the firmware upgrade to 2.2.6 and the issue still persists. Was watching a football game. Paused it 2 hours in. Came back and the Fire TV had gone to sleep. Hit select and the Fire TV woke up, briefly showed the position it was in previously and then the time changed to 0:00 and the picture changed to the first frame of the recording. Hitting select or play again starts the recording from that point.

Tablo Firmware: 2.2.6
Fire TV: 5.0.2.2
Tablo App: 1.0.23

I may have found an even bigger bug that could be causing this issue. I don’t think resume is working at all. If i start a show, fast forward a bit, go back, the episode info updates and the play button does become a dropdown with the two playback options, but if i choose the option with the time code where i quit watching before, it still plays back from the beginning. So it seems to be saving the saved spot, but when called it just falls back on playing from the beginning.

I can confirm this too. All videos play back from beginning in all cases regardless of whether I have watched any part of them at any point in the past.
This all started with the latest version of app. This version fixed the bug where you had to manually press play to start the video after you selected it, however I’m guessing this fix also had the unintended result of mesding up the resume.

Hey folks - We haven’t been able to reproduce this here.

As for resume, when you want to resume are you exiting the recording and seeing a new updated snapshot (of the location where you stopped your recording) before resuming?

I don’t have Fire TV but Nexus player, and I have the resume issue with the Tablo app (v1.0.23). When I select a recording to play, there is an option “Resume at …” and the snapshot on screen correctly represents the position. But clicking on the “Resume at …” option will only start the playback from beginning.

@kamy2015 - I was able to reproduce on the Nexus. Will let the team know so they can work on a fix.

Not that it should make a difference, but folks who are seeing it on the Fire, are you using the stick?

I’m seeing it on the new 2nd gen Fire TV box (not the stick).

And yes, after hitting back with it paused, it does update the screen with the new save point and the progress bar under the screencap partially fills.

I should have tested this before, but I do have the first gen Fire TV demoted to the bedroom and the pause functionality works fine there, so it seems to be limited to the new generation with the 5.0 software.

Fire TV 2nd Gen:
Fire TV: 5.0.2.2

Fire TV 1st Gen
Fire TV: 51.1.6.3

@critikle - Well that’s an interesting wrinkle. Thanks for helping us suss that out. Our gen 2 Fire TV is on its way but we’ll see if we can try to fix this before it arrives.

1 Like