FIOS vs XFinity cable - Does it make a difference?

I know Tablo is all about OTA, but we (I’ve joined you! I’ve ordered a Quad) need the internet. The price and specs are virtually identical for my house.

• Do you folks have any preferences?
  • Any special considerations?

FWIW, I currently expect to switch to Verizon FIOS.

"Factory" router - I’ve checked “best router” sites, but I remain confused.

• My current XFinity router works OK, but we’re only using it for 3 phones, 2 laptops, and 3 coax wired TV’s - “Dual band WiFi 802.11 a,c” - it’s about 2 years old (it was replaced)
  • The Verizon better router ( AC1750 Wi-Fi (G1100)) costs $200 or $12/mo. The “best router sites” seem to say it’s surprisingly OK
  • I’ve read numerous stories where customers can supply their own routers, but the results seem mixed. Sometimes the tech is useful, sometimes he says it can’t work.
  • And in any case, don’t I need the factory router to accept the coax feed?
  • My tentative plan is to get FIOS, rent a router for the first month, and then experiment with other routers.

As you can see, I really am confused!
Thanks, as always.

Hello-
In most locations now, Verizon will install an Ethernet connection to their Optical Network Terminal (ONT) rather than the coax MoCA connection for router attachment. Ask before installation to verify that you can get an Ethernet connection. Your choice of routers is greatly expanded with an Ethernet vs. a coax connection (very few routers have a coax WAN connection; virtually all routers have Ethernet WAN connection).

Feature wise, the G1100 router seems adequate for most home users’ needs.

I have had FIOS and Xfinity for Internet service alone, and am now back on FIOS in my new location. I greatly prefer FIOS.

@hobkirk

I have Verizon FIOS.

You want their better router Quantum Gateway Model Fios-G1100

Often you can buy the router outright, (I paid $99 2 years ago) instead of paying monthly and just renting it.

Chas

We have been very happy with FIOS, using my own router off of the Frontier ONT. Very reliable, and consistently good speeds, even using TP-Link AC1200 extenders.

Love the symmetrical speed. Performance of Direct TV Now was highly “hit and miss” with cable internet. Now, it is rock solid, and we see buffering less than 2x per month. Tablo has been flawless, too, with very good (although not excellent) performance with the beta commercial skip feature.

Wonderful!
#1 is a very helpful suggestion, I already knew #2, and #3 is exactly what I asked for.
Thanks!

1. Did you forget the last “0”? Or is there a G110 model? Their web site only showed two options and listed a G1100 as “better”
  2. I only planned to rent for 1 month, while I experimented with better routers. The G1100 is $170 on Amazon, so if I buy, I’d probably pay the extra $30 so Verizon cannot dispute responsibility if there are any problems.

Thank you.

1. Did you add the extenders to the FIOS router to make it acceptable?
  2. …“we see buffering less than 2x per month…” - an excellent way to convey performance.
  3. Thanks for the skip feedback. I expected it would take Tablo a while to get SKIP to work well,
    (a) but you folks on this forum seem pretty positive (and I like the Tablo “pitch”)
    (b) so I decided to cross my fingers that it will become decent in the future.
    (x) The skip feature was probably the biggest reason I was considering going with TiVo.

So thanks.

NOTE TO ALL:
It took me a while to figure out how to quote in a reply, and a multiple reply post doesn’t work (IMO) without that. I just got the message (generated by the forum software):

• " Consider replying to several posts at once…Rather than several replies to a topic in a row, please consider a single reply that includes quotes from previous posts…"

My bad. I should have re-calibrated my mind after I figured out how to quote. I personally find the multiple individual responses objectionable, both in creating and in reading. Next time I will do better.

@hobkirk

Yes… I left off one Zero. It’s G1100

Chas

Response:

1. Using my own TP-Link Archer C7 router. Using extenders to provide max signal to distant corners and floors. Router wifi by itself provides a reasonable signal, but I live in an area with a lot of congestion in the 2.4gHz band. Using the extenders not only provides a “hardwire” link to those devices that can use hardwire, but also provides a “5-bar” signal to those devices that can only use wifi – anywhere in the house.

House is a 2000 sq ft ranch with many interior walls, and a finished basement. used as an office, party room and media center. It is “L” shaped and signal must overcome both the foiled back insulation used and the poured / rebarred concrete used. It’s a challenge. Fortunately, the ground system is good and this allows the use of the AC1200 TP-Link extenders.