Finding the Tablo HD on the network and accessing it

Just got the Tablo in and working last night.  I am putting together a home theater and hope to make use of the Tablo for TV content (live and recorded) for theater use as well as on other devices.  Right now, PLEX seems to be a good way to pull together most of my media sources, but getting TV into and out of it in live format is a bit difficult it seems.  It is easy enough to compartmentalize recorded content of all types, but still not clear cut way for TV and it’s recordings to be structured properly and automatically for any real usable/searchable and properly categorized content.

Having used a Hauppauge WinTV HVR-2255 (and previous models) for a few years now, and have acquired quite a bit of existing content with it using Media Center. Now that I am switching to PLEX, I was lucky to find a useful software tool called MCDBuddy to convert all of my previously recorded content into a fully functioning, properly indexed, sorted, media database.  PLEX was able to pull added content from IMDb, so this TV library is working quite well and is a visual pleasure to us.

So, now I need to find a way to do something similar with content from Tablo.

I would like to do a bit of experimenting with the MCDBuddy software app and need to find an easy way to get to Tablo’s TV content.  I have used alot of software over the years to “adjust” captured/encoded media, and I’m pretty sure I can find a reasonable method to get tablo’s TV content into a usible format for PLEX, and more or less automatically.  I know I could do this by removing the HD and using partitioning tools to reach the content, but I would prefer to do this though the network if possible. 

So, has anyone worked though getting to the HD through the network yet?  I will, if at all possible find a way I’m sure.  But thought better to ask and look around first.

Thanks.

-Rodger

There is no official way yet, but read this thread for 3 different ways of doing it:

http://community.tablotv.com/discussion/1712/videos-off-of-old-hard-drive

Complex.  Pretty sure demand for the ability to backup capture content will become more apparent and a simple method to do this will come about.  For now, I have about 3 to 6 months of work just finishing my home theater, so too much to do to worry about the small stuff.

Thanks.

-Rodger

@marjamar - The plan is to basically provide a button on all recordings that says, “Download” that will literally just take the content, turn it into an easily digestible format and save it to the memory of your device. I don’t have an ETA on this feature, but that’s how we’d like to implement it.

SurLaTablo provides bulk download and also Subtitles embedded in the download file. That seems to be a must have for such a feature.

@marjamar - The plan is to basically provide a button on all recordings that says, "Download" that will literally just take the content, turn it into an easily digestible format and save it to the memory of your device. I don't have an ETA on this feature, but that's how we'd like to implement it.

That would be a very nice and in all probability a very serendipitous should the HD decide to quit all of a sudden. 

Thanks.

-Rodger

And very nice for those of us with small hard drives that want to save recordings. I only have a 320 GB drive.

I’d like to see an easier (read: automatic) way for backing up recordings. NOT something that requires the user to click a button on each individual show to “download” the recording.

Option 1: Using the second USB port to hook up an equal or greater sized HDD that recordings would automatically be backed up to. With the user being able to set the backup schedule/time.

Option 2. Allowing network access to the Tablo and Tablo HDD so that we could use a program such as SyncBack to copy the recordings to a NAS or similar.