Error - Weak Signal w/ 5 Green Dots Signal Strength

I’ve had my new Quad about a week now and all was good for the first few days. However, one of my main network channels has suddenly started giving me an “Error - Weak Signal” when I try to tune to that station even though it was working just fine previously and has 5 Green Dots indicating a very strong signal. I have tried a rescan and it scans and loads that station with 5 Green Dots but still gives me the Error - Weak Signal. On my original and subsequent scans, I have another statin with 3 Orange Dots and I always receive an Error - Weak Signal when trying to tune to that station. That station I can live without but not one of the 4 major broadcast networks. The other three major networks all have 5 Green Dots and no trouble tuning in the station. Don’t understand why it worked flawlessly for a few days but now for the last few days refuses to pull in that station even when it shows a strong signal of 5 Green Dots. I’ve rescanned multiple times and reset to no avail. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Can you test your antenna directly on a TV? This will let you determine if the issue is your reception or the Tablo.

Thanks, Lysander. I just did that right after I posted and the issue appears to be the outside antenna. We had a small rain & wind storm a few days ago and I don’t see how that could have possibly moved my small roof mounted antenna but apparently it did. I’ll try to reposition it tomorrow. Thanks again.

1 Like

@GaryGraham

I’d check your signal again before you move the antenna.

The storm might have temporarily given you weak reception.

It might be ok now.

Chas

When it comes to installing anything that depends on a chain of continuity I check everything!

I just installed a new Antop 400BV antennal and since I make my own coax cable compression connections I checked every cable and connection through the ground block to the wall outlet. That way I am confident that I have signal continuity all the way.

This does the trick: Wire Tracer, Coax Cable Pocket Continuity Tester with Remote, Audible Beep and LED Klein Tools VDV512-007

In life Occam’s Razor is usually the safe bet!

fde6f7ac6cc5eb86bb3516232f3f6ba4--occams-razor-razor-cuts

Thanks cthompgh, I thought of that and waited but the storm was three days ago and we now have clear blue skies with no clouds and no wind. Occasionally, the station will tune in and then break up and drop out completely.

1 Like

Thanks Lysander I’ll check out the wire tracer.

I have similar problem! Believe it is a Tablo issue. I have the two antenna setup. One is VHF only for one channel on frequency 11. Tower is 40 miles LOS 123 degrees. The other is VHF/UHF but I only receive UHF channels with that one. Tower is 297 degrees LOS 30 miles. VHF antenna is 28 feet and UHF is 32. Both connected with combiner then to pre-amp. A 30 foot cable to the ground block and 40 feet to the splitter/per-amp supply source. A 3 foot to two way splitting, then two 6 feet to Tablo and TV.
Previously had this setup for a TiVo. Only change is same cable now connected to the Tablo. No recording problems with the TiVo for about 18 months. Changed from TiVo to Tablo to be able to watch on more than one TV. Most of the time everything records ok. Other times like yesterday for the 6:00 evening news I have two scheduled. One is local on the VHF antenna the other is out of market on the UHF. Both had multiple recording of only two or three minutes. No weather issues and two different towers. The VHF channel is ABC and the UHF is CBS. Frequency 11 from Lawton Oklahoma and frequency 35 from OKC.
This is why I think it is a Tablo problem!