For the last couple of days, I have been getting ‘Repairing hard drive’ error. Here is what I have done so far. Note that I have been using my current setup close to a year without any issues.
- Initially I noticed that wasn’t able to view any live tv or recorded programs. Hence thought of rebooting the device. This is when it started giving me that error.
- I have rebooted it several times and the blue light was blinking 1/sec and left for 16 hours without any progress.
- I unplugged everything and re-plugged still the same issue.
- Note that at this point, I haven’t done a factory reset. Only rebooted it a few times.
- I removed the old WD 1TB and plugged in another spare WD 500GB drive. This time it formatted the new drive and was able to record and view live tv programs.
- I did open an ticket. Ticket number: 13990
- I now have connected both the drives to Tablo and if I try watching a program from the 1TB drive, it says, ‘Player error, file not found on disk’. Now the blue light is not blinking as it has one usable hard disk I presume (the 500GB one).
a. Do I have a WD 1TB gone bad? How can I confirm that it has gone bad?
b. What can I do to fix it?
c. If I can’t fix it at the very least I’d like to get my recorded programs. I have about 540GB of recorded programs. Note that I tried ‘Tablo Exporter’ on Mac and it does not read the 1TB hard drive but does the other 500GB one.
d. How can I avoid this in the future? Should I get an SSD? Better longevity without the moving parts?
Any help or suggestions is much appreciated.