DOCSIS 3.0 suggestions

Comcast is nicely coercing me to update my DOCSIS 2.0 modem to a DOCSIS 3.0 compatible modem as they phase out support for the earlier standard. Before I buy a new cable modem I wanted to ask the community for input on which DOCSIS 3.0 modem model has worked well for them so far and how long they have had it. I particularly have had problems with the port settings working for viewing my Tablo over the internet and think the modem may play a part in that.

I have a four channel Tablo viewing via Roku and soon adding Fire TV if that makes any difference. Thank you in advance.

The Motorola / Arris SB6141 is any easy recommendation for a rock solid product. My local Costco has them for $70. I’ve bought three of these (one for me, one for my brother, and one for my son)…they just work.

It is not likely that port settings are being affected by your Modem, as that is a routing function.

1 Like

If > 100Mbps download speed package is available for you…
ARRIS SURFboard SB6183 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem goes for around $135 on Amazon.com.

The SB6141 maxes out at around 100Mbps download speed.

Not so, the less expensive SB6141 supports up to 343Mbs down and 131Mbps up…
so unless you are getting a gigabit offering, it probably isn’t worth buying the SB6183. And Comcast speeds are pretty tame - their highest Internet tier is 150Mbps down!

1 Like

I started networking with a 300 baud modem regretting not buying the 1200 baud version.
Just say’n.

1 Like

Comcast - just say’n :wink:

I know Time Warner will NOT allow 300MB with that modem from experience. It has to do with the channels and how they are doing things. I assume Comcast is the same.

I’ve had my Zoom 5341J cable modem for over a year and it is excellent. There is a new cable modem the thewirecutter.com says is the best. I havent upgraded to it because my Zoom is working just fine.
http://m.thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-cable-modem/

Docs is 3.1 is coming but I don’t know when.

And another vote for SB6141:

1 Like

Well, when it does, it will require a new Modem, no matter which one you buy today.

Tom’s guide also says 5341J if your isp supports it, due to lower price and 2 year warranty. Not that much of a price difference on Amazon, and for the difference I suggest the SB6141 @Will_Chan it looks like your choices are there.

Surfboard is a solid product… I’ve had the 6120 for just over 5 years now. It supports Docsis 3.0 and has never given me any trouble whatsoever. Surfboard continues to get outstanding reviews, so if I ever need to replace mine, that’s what I’ll be going with. One word of caution… make sure your ISP supports it, because they do need to set things up on their end, and need the ability to manage your modem remotely. Your ISP should have a recommended modems page on their web site.

Yes, that’s correct. You need a 16 channel modem like the SB6183 in order to get speed higher than 100/10. TWC chose not to support the 6141 for speed higher than 100/10, even though the 6141 spec can handle higher speed.

http://www.timewarnercable.com/en/support/internet/topics/buy-your-modem.html