Different experiences / different platforms

I access my Tablo network 4 tuner DVR a few different ways. Primarily through Roku devices and Apple TV. The time it takes to tune in a live tv channel varies per device. My Roku Ultra takes upward of 10 seconds to tune in channel… my Apple TV can take several seconds but using the Tablo app on my Sony TV the picture kicks in within 3 seconds. Why is there such a difference? All are connected through ethernet connection so not using wi-fi.

I’m only familiar with Roku, but it is my understanding that the different Tablo apps use the native video player on each device. It would appear that the Roku player requires a bigger buffer of information before it starts streaming. This may also explain why some users have complained about certain devices buffering while streaming while other devices seem to work much better. If Roku starts off with a bigger buffer, then it is less likely to need to stop and buffer while watching.

I will comment about the devices we use and our experience. By far the best device is out laptop. Transcoding only takes about 1-2 seconds with zero buffering. We also have Chromecast with Google TV. Transcoding takes about 3 seconds and only buffers with weak signal stations. We have a couple of Roku’s and transcoding takes about 10 seconds and also buffers a little more than the Chromecast with Google TV. My take is all of the other devices have better hardware than the Roku’s. The Roku’s don’t only take longer to transcode, but the guide takes several seconds to load as well.

So that seems to sync with me. My Sony TV uses the Android (Google) operating system and I had to download the app from Google Play on the TV.

Since the tablo does all the transcoding -necessary to stream- there should be no time variance for transcoding.

How do you measure the amount of time for transcoding …to “complete”(?) Each device just plays the stream as is, it doesn’t need to transcode it any further.

That makes perfect sense. I guess it comes down to how the hardware functions on the device to start playing the content. The Chromecast with Google TV and the Roku’s both have the same Cortex A55 and they are the same age. They are all ethernet connected to my mesh network. The Roku’s definitely performs slower than the CCWGTV. Even when not using the Tablo they are slower. This has been reported by many others in different Roku streaming groups.

1 Like

AFAIK, the Roku Ultra (sadly, there are many “ultras”) might have an A53, not an A55. The A55 can be upwards of 20% faster. The very latest Roku Ultras do not use the Cortex arm cpu.

As a viewer… I measure the amount of time between selecting watch for the channel and when the program starts to play. The amount of time it takes does vary from platform and device. This is after rebooting, resetting, restarting… all the re’s I can think of. There’s also differences with the Tablo menu from device to device… but since there’s different programming requirements for the app… that makes sense.

Don’t get me wrong… I really am happy with my Tablo and it’s performance… I’ll just have to find the best platform to use for my own viewing enjoyment.

I know the pandemic has effected the availability of chipsets, but I know my Roku’s have A55’s based on model and manufacturer date information from Roku. It must be how the Roku processes information compared to other devices. As I mentioned, other functions are slower as well. It’s not as snappy scrolling through menus or apps compared to other devices. I also know Roku’s are notorious for getting slow with age. It’s possible that is also part of the issue.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.