Did "Tablo DVRs Just Added a 14-Day Guide" - remember when you only had one day at a time? or 1st color?

Our 1st color TV was depressing.
Most shows, and movies were still being broadcast in black, and white.
Doh!

You guys must have got your color TV before we did. I just remember seeing the Christmas shows, Rudolph, etc. finally in color and was amazed. We got our color TV right around Christmas time.

I was really too young to remember when we got our color set. It was a Zenith 25" console. I do remember tearing it appart. We kept the cabinet and had it made into a piece of furniture.

1 Like

Our first non-monochrome set was a Motorola Quasar (“Works In The Drawer”) . I remember being stunned when I first discovered that parts of “The Wizard of Oz” were in color.

1 Like

I still had a B&W set in my bedroom growing up. Remember borrowing Dr. Mario for the original Nintendo from a friend and wondering why I couldn’t figure the game out… Turns out color matching was a key component :rofl:

1 Like

Seems like the first color was a 1960-1961 RCA Victor. It also was the first we had with a UHF tuner. Too bad there were no local UHF stations until the mid-1960s.

TV’s of that age had a safety glass screen in front the CRT. When a tornado went close by the change in barometric pressure caused the safety screen to shatter. A new screen cost $100-$150 dollars.

We only had VHF. I remember wondering as a kid what was that second dial with UHF on it for? And the VHF knob “clicked” into each channel, whereas the UHF knob just sort of turned with no defined clicking into place.

I think our first color TV was later in the 1960s, maybe around 1968.

I remember when we finally got a color TV… then the moon landing - “We got a color TV now why is this still in B&W!?” I thought I was disappointed. Sadly that’s how I remember what many consider one of human-kind’s greatest accomplishments.

Our original TV growing up was an RCA Victor B&W table model, VHF channels 2-13 only, with rabbit ears on top. This was in an era pre-PBS, so we had only the 3 broadcast networks out of Philadelphia. It wasn’t until a few years later that PBS started broadcasting, and in a few more years, UHF entered the picture. We had a UHF converter box sitting on top of the set, along with its own, separate ribbon antenna. It wasn’t until the '70s that I got my first color TV and finally got to see what the “horse of a different color” was all about in The Wizard of Oz.

I believe there’s some historical significance there with the cameras and Technicolor! It wasn’t necessarily the first film, but first major full length, musical, motion picture to display the vivid bright colors.