Delving deeper into the Roku "Loading..Please Wait" issue

That’s my point…Tablo can only see into the Tablo’s logs…so to declare a “network issue” as the root cause should be a global problem, not isolated to one client, unless the client is wonky.

Phil,

What you said on June 12th was:

"I hope you are going after Roku with all the tenacity that you seem to be focusing on Nuvyyo. I mean it IS the Roku that is rebooting, and not the Tablo right? The Roku is a closed system, so no channel should be able to write code that can crash it, right? "

which is clearly not the case. Your more recent modification to this original opinion, posted on August 26th was:

“Roku needs to figure out WHY and fix it. They have created a nice little sandbox for the developers to work in. If they are able to crash the box, then Roku hasn’t “Roped Off” that sandbox properly and they need to fix it. It isn’t like the individual channels can fix that problem FOR them.”

As I stated earlier today, you originally described the Roku as a closed system and therefore, (in your exact words repeated above) “no channel should be able to write code that can crash it” You subsequently blamed Roku for allowing this crashing problem to exist. It would indeed be wonderful if Roku could prevent all such crashes,and while they are at it, could they please fix their Loading Please Wait buffer underflows…

So tell me, Phil, please, where is my “falsehood” and what in my post today “isn’t even true”?

Larry

My network must have gone bad in April when the fast forward reboots began coincident with a firmware upgrade. Funny that I can stream 100 Mbit/sec 4K UHD (over 5 times the bitrate of Netflix and Amazon Prime UHD) directly from my 4K camcorder and 4K DSLR video with no need to wait for loading. Even stranger is that the very same recordings I made and kept from before the upgrade now, suddenly, have a new LPW playback issue beginning at the very same time time as the Tablo 2.2.6 .installation.

Those of us including Sherlock Holmes who subscribe to the theory of Occams Razor must have it all wrong. The true explanation for cause and effect lies not in the obvious and simple explanation, but rather in the most convoluted and non-scientific connection. Let’s start with demonic possesion…a great way to explain poor programming outcomes which crash and freeze.

He’s not a real person. :wink:

Redundantly redundant solutions are a great solution, and I actually resurrected a small portion of my former whole house SageTV system when Tablo did not record things which were scheduled. Quite comically, some of them showed up when the “missing recordings” issue was suddenly resolved by Tablo in their latest firmware. I never knew that had actually been recorded.

Engineers tend to be a ‘belt and suspenders’ mentality and I certainly fit ther mold. My anguish with Tablo is that it is such a great but unfinished product which, one year after purchase, actually works worse than it did the day I installed it. With the right effort, it could be the stable king of OTA systems, but for now, I have a redundant solution just in case.

Never said he was !!

Please post the code that one uses to reboot the Roku…
It is not rebooting on EVERY FF and many systems do not have the reboots at all
It is your ROKU that is rebooting right? NOT the Tablo
The Roku is rebooting on several channels

Somehow from the FACTS listed above, you conclude that this is a Tablo issue. Of COURSE you WANT it to be a Tablo issue because if it isn’t then it is either

1. Your particular setup - Can’t have that.
    or
  2. A Roku issue - And since Roku is not as responsive as Nuvyyo you don’t want it to be this either.

Phil,

Since you have accussed me of falsehoods and stating something untrue, I would ask you once again, to please show me what you are referring to.

Thanks,
Larry

Yes, he’s a real person. His real name is Basil Rathbone…

xxxx cccc xx cc

Of course not. Making false unsupportable claims is so much easier when proof is not required.

Troll on…

How often do you use the ffw when watching netflix? Or any other channel where you aren’t skipping commercials? To blame roku rebooting on tablo when tablo is the only source where you ask a roku to handle ffw seems short sighted.

It’s obviously a roku problem and it’s obvious that tablo is exacerbating it. They both have to work together if it’s going to get fixed.

Arrrggg I’m done with dealing with this “Loading please wait” issue!

I’ve owned tablotv now for about 9 months. I use a Roku 3 and an Apple TV 3rd Gen. I was recording/watching tablotv at the 1080p setting over wired no issues, until I updated to tablo firmware 2.2.2. Then I got the “loading please wait…” endless buffering loop of death. As I understand firmware 2.2.2 was a major upgrade firmware update on the tablotv side. My Apple TV 3rd gen airplayed with no issues from my iPad to the Apple TV showed no buffering issues (no trying to catchup etc, it definitely pointed to the combo of TabloTV and the Roku 3).

I quickly move the recording to 720p on the tablotv and that resolved the buffering endless loop of death issue on my Roku 3.

The story continues as I upgraded to tablotv 2.2.6 and purchased the new Roku 4, 2 weeks ago. I had high hopes that this buffering would go away when i up my setting back to 1080p. Tried again to go to the 1080p 10mbps or even the 1080p 8mbps - still getting the loading please wait endless loop of death while watching live or recorded video. I then went out and purchased a new Amazon Fire TV 4k (newly revised last month version), and it worked flawlessly at the highest setting 1080p 10mbps and over 802.11ac WIFI to boot.

(side note: Roku 4 touts that it’s 802.11ac but I’ve only been able to push it to 802.11n speeds - not sure if its a processor thing - overheating or a network collision thing causing the buffering of death but wired/wireless still buffers over and over and even in the roku settings menu it will lock for 25 seconds at a time. If you are in love with Roku, you might wanna hold off on buying the Roku 4 with TabloTV unless all you are after is 4K and 720p tablotv recording. No real advantage over the Roku 3 that i can see?)

Verdict is in for me: I’m using the AFTv 4k - the Roku 4 is getting shipped back this week! AFTv is 30 bucks cheaper with no moving parts (aka the Roku 4 has a small fan that makes noise in it). The tablotv app for AFTv is way more full featured (even more than the roku preview app). Only negative i can see with AFTv 4k is it takes a little longer for the channel to initially start up and play, but after that its rocking fast and stable (no buffering loops of death).

I just finished watching the Packers Broncos game in 1080p at 10mbps over 802.11ac WIFI on the AFTv and it looked amazing!

Were you able to resume on your Fire TV when playing back a recorded show? The resume function on my FTV (2nd gen) is apparently broken (it always starts from beginning even if I choose to restart at certain position), and I want to make sure I’m not alone on that issue. Thanks!

I was able to stop on Roku 4 and pick it up on the AFTv 4k approximately at the same location as I left off at. I think it was about 30 seconds behind on the AFTv though.

Thanks for the confirmation.

That sounds really weird as the recorded shows on my FTV will always start from beginning even if I previously stopped the show on FTV. Hope Tablo team can figure out why the resume works on some FTV but not all, and be able to fix it.

Like I said

2 Likes

Like I said:

Troll on…

He’s not trolling you. You both have differing opinions.

Can we all just try and stick to the facts, and not engage in name calling.

1 Like

I disagree. As his earlier replies to me reveal his dismissive and obnoxious statements which include things like:

“If you are telling the truth”

“Your reboot problem is very rare and stop asking for help”

Claims that this issue is happening in a substantial way to other Roku channels, but no evidence he has provided to back it up.

Claims that I have somehow made false statements which misrepresented his positions but, when challenged, rerfuses to provide evidence.

Specificallty accusing me of complaining as as a means to “increase the thread count”.

When somebody accuses me particularly of not telling the truth, dismisses my technically knowledgable claims without any apparent technical depth, makes unsupportable and errorneous comments and refuses to provide proof, and feels the need to somehow serve as the defender of Tablo and its nearly 8 months of extremely obvious bugs which have not been properly dealt with, I call him a troll. This is the kindest term I can think of.

When this series of problems began nearly 8 months ago, when the Tablo was absolutely loaded with bugs many of which, to this day, have not been solved, I was astonished that both you, theuser86 and philsoft, took the position that the user was at fault, the issues were extremely isolated, the Roku was the problem, and that you personally had no evidence of anything wrong with Tablo…

8 monthes later the evidence has mounted enormously. The forum / community here is begging for relief. The threadcounts have risen exponentially, and the anger level has certainly not decreased.

Despite all of this, the very same official Tablo channel app for the Roku has NEVER been updated. Since February 2015 these same crappy buggy amateur programming examples continue to make the Tablo a POS for many people, myself included. For over 5 months, Tablo did absolutely NOTHING. To this day there has been no single piece of Tablo ownership despite the claim of CEO contact and working with Roku. BFD. Despite 5 Roku updates, these problems persist.

And VERY OBVIOUSLY to any experienced software engineer or software manager, the Tablo upgrades to firmware are OUT OF CONTROL, with new and significant bugs being added without fixing problems at their root cause within the prior Tablo releases.

PLEASE STOP dismissing this set of problems, pointing at the users, and talking and ESPECIALLY acting as if this is a minor concern…

It does not help to say that other channels have problems, you are NOT having the problem, or that these are minor issues.

Theuser86…I respect the fact that you have provided 24/7 user support on this forum to me and a ton of other users, with you posting thousands, yes thousands of posts to help others. Some may even question your full time agenda here and even guess you have some connection to the Tablo company. Regardless, you provide an invaluable service, and indeed have helped me personally earlier this year on this forum.

Philsoft on the other hand takes some form of queer intererest in dismissing the problems of others, accusing them of things like lying, exaggerating, misquoting him, etc. He ignorantly believes that the Roku closed system was itself, immune to channel app crashes, and then back pedals away from this ignorance by trying to change the subject. When pinnned down to providing specific citations showing other channel apps with the same problem, he cites 3, yet 2 of these 3 are entirely and utterly unrelated, and his 3rd citation excludes the very specific case I asked him to prove also. When challenged regarding the citations, he cannot / does / not explain nor does he make any attempt to provide any replacements.

If you have a better name than troll, please let me know what it is. I can certainly think of many, but as a proud grandfather and mature adult, I would not resort to using them in this or any public forum.

Larry

2 Likes