Delving deeper into the Roku "Loading..Please Wait" issue

TabloSupportAug '14
@pantheman75 The Tablo doesn’t need the Internet to run - you’re correct there.However , the Tablo does need a local network to use in order to send information from point A to point B.

Your laptop wouldn’t have any way of communicating with the Tablo if there wasn’t a router involved, as there’s no network to allow them to communicate. The Tablo’s Wifi acts as an access point in order to join other networks, but not much else. Sorry!

I need to try this experiment again to see if my Tablo and players will work without a WAN internet connection. Last time I did this I unplugged the internet from my router WAN port, and could not get any Tablo discovery / connection to Rokus.

I’m away from home and my Tablos for a couple weeks but will report back in February. Thanks for your reply. Maybe somebody here on this forum can briefly pull their WAN connection out briefly and confirm or disprove my prior result.

Tablo works great without an internet connection. I remember the last time my CenturyLink internet was down for about 5 hours. I thought my nightly entertainment was ruined, until I hopped onto Tablo and I could watch whatever I wanted without issue. In fact, it seemed to work faster than usual.

1 Like

You can connect to your Tablo without a Live Internet connection on a Roku and iPad. Any device that uses the my.tablotv.com website or a web app based on that website requires an Internet connection. Thus, a Computer using the Chrome browser, an iPhone, Fire TV, Nexus Player, Android tablet, and Android smartphone would all need Live Internet.

Really? That’s odd because my internet was down on all my devices, but I watched Tablo on my Shield or Nexus Player. Maybe the internet was repaired as soon as I began my test.

I’m still having the issue. As someone else mentioned Sling which I also have works rock solid so it IS an issue with the Tablo app. I even have a Plex server running on my rasberri pi 2 and the Plex app for the Roku works great. I really hope the Tablo team can fix this. It seems to be a long standing problem that they REALLY need to address.

Tablo can’t fix Roku’s hardware and software. LPW is a not a Tablo problem, but a Roku problem.

I haven’t had a single LPW since Roku fixed their firmware not that long ago.

1 Like

I also have not had a single LPW since the firmware was updated months ago. Nor have I had the frequent hangs and reboots either.

However…starting February 17th with the release of Tablo’s player app for Roku v20, the hangs and reboots have again started (as has problems doing remote connect).

Tablo support’s response to my trouble ticket is the age old line that the issue is in the Roku which will hopefully be resolved soon.

So very very very strange that these “Roku issues” arrive suddenly when Tablo pushes a new player app… And did not occur for months preceeding the Tablo player app update.

Makes absolutely no sense !!!

I have had my Tablo 4-tuner for about 6 weeks and I have a Roku 4 and have not had any trouble with the app or buffering.

Mine started also after the update, but only with my Roku 3. Especially lockups…this happens about once a day with the new app. (UGH) The Roku 3 is in the living room and gets the most use, which may have something to do with it.

I also have the lockups only with Roku 3 players. Some days several hangs but other days not at all.

Began for sure with Feb 17 Tablo update for Roku.

I’m a new cord cutter and love the Tablo.

I have a setup to 2 HD TV’s. The TV in the living room uses a Roku Express. The 2nd TV in the Bedroom uses a 2nd generation Amazon Firestick. I have Comcast/Infinity Internet (100mbps) into a Asus RT ac1200 Dual Band WiFi router. 2.4ghz measured speed is 35-40mbps. The Tablo is hardwired to the router.

Being new to this, I set the recording resolution to it’s highest setting, HD1080 10mbps, 720@60fps.
And…it worked fine! Firmware 2.2.16

Then my roommate came home and started watching Sling TV on his Firestick and my recording playbacks went into a “Loading…Please Wait” frenzy. I checked it over a period of days, and it always worked fine when there was no internet/2.4ghz traffic. Every time the 2nd TV started streaming, the problem raised it’s nasty head. So, I dropped the recording to 1080HD, 8mbps and it works fine with traffic. The programs I was watching were 1080i resolution channels, recorded @ 1080mbps. Does that still playback @ 720HD 60fps?

To me, the problem is something to do with router traffic. The measured speed of my router is 3-4 times more than 10mbps. The Amazon Firestick runs 470kbps constant with peak loads to 2mbps when loading a new stream. So, it seams the handshake on the Tablo to the Roku gets collisions with the traffic and creates a buffering/loading issue. That’s my take so far. I will update this when I get more data.

1 Like

No, everything will playback at 30fps at your current setting.
And, only 720p broadcasts would play at 60fps at the highest setting.

Interesting. So why would router traffic (Sling TV from the modem <-> 2.4ghz WiFi to the firestick) create so much “Loading…Please Wait” from the Tablo (hardwired <-> 2.4ghz to the Roku). What’s the fps difference from 1080 10mbps from the 1080 8mbps?

No difference, it’s always 30fps.

Well then, I’m not sure why there is a problem.

That being said, I uploaded firmware updates to the the Tablo and Router both in the last 2 days. So, I will do some testing and get back.

Now experiencing the “loading…please wait” with the 1080 8mpbs setting with my room mate streaming Sling TV at the same time. Playback just prior to his coming home was fine. The Tablo is also recording at the same time.

I have changed the settings to 720p, 5mbps. Will get back with results in a couple of days.

Update: After the Tablo finished what it was recording, I tried watching the program again with Room mate streaming. Still get “loading, please wait”, but less often. How many processors in a Tablo? Is this a problem with the cpu, playback/recording with packet collisions/handshakes on the router?

@Laserman Shouldn’t be a processing issue; quite a few of us (and our users) are using the Tablo at the recording quality mentioned above.

However, we just published a blog post that may point you in the right direction.