Data Limit is becoming an issue

How many of you are battling the limited data limits with your internet service?  I have comcast internet and have 300GB of data per month.  Comcast waives the overage fee the first 3 times you go over.  This month is going to be our 3rd month going over so this is becoming a major concern.  I have 4 kids at home so this is why our data usage is so high. 

Any thoughts?  Suggestions?

@wkufan92 

Does your Comcast bill give you any insight as to what's using your data?

The Tablo's video itself doesn't use any bandwidth (unless you're remote), the only thing that does is the guide data, which isn't very taxing.

Only bandwidth is the guide, and every time you connect, and when it syncs with your phone or computer.
That’s all web based. If it says “my.tablotv.com” then its going over the web to a server. 

If it’s a Tablet App, non-web app and not a phone or PC it’s direct, is it not?
300 G I only WISH, that’s a dream for us. We have 10 
That’s not a typo, I did not mean one hundred, I did mean TEN Gig and that’s the way with many of us so if we can survive Tablo on 10, 300 should be 30 times more than needed. Heck if we could get 300 I might subscribe to a service or use our Amazon Prime stuff.

If the device had to cast from Tablo and drive over the web to a TV or Tablet then yeah, that’s an issue but for in-house it’s only control, connection and sync if I understood Tablo support correctly and I hope I did!  We’ve watched several recorded things in the last few days and it never left the house so little data was used.

My comcast bill doesn’t tell me what is using the data but I dont’ think it is Tablo.  It is WatchESPN app, Amazon Instant Video and Netflix. 

UVerse currently doesn’t have data caps (at least not in Nashville), and I can still get 50 Mbps download / 5 Mpbs upload speeds on their highest tier.  They have cheaper tiers as well.

sure make us who cannot get cable or DSL AT ALL feel bad!

We DREAM if 1/5th of that ability and even 20 gig a month but it ain’t gonna happen in the U.S. with other priorities and the current IRS rules and regs.

Only where there’s enough population density and demand to make it worth their money and time and they can pull a heavy enough profit, will there be broadband and reliable connections with no data limits. 

If I could get 300 gig at a reasonable cost I’d be sending them Christmas cards every year and boxes of chocolates and thank you cards. 

Tablo should not be anywhere near even one GB without remote streaming.  A 1 Mbs stream would be 10 GB per day, if you ran it all day .  If I recall correctly, I have seen us use 4GB a day watching Netflix easily.  I don’t have a data limit at home, so I haven’t watched it closely. 

It’s probably streaming video or torrents that’s using that 300 GB a month. 

I have a Netgear Nighthawk router that allows me to see usage.  I could limit usage with it as well.  Page 128 of the manual.  http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/R7000/R7000_UM_10Oct13.pdf

If you feel you can win the tech battle with your kids, get a router that does this, physically secure it so they can’t hack it and set a password they can’t have.  If you feel really up to it, you could set your phone or something up to bypass those limits.  not in the manual I saw, but it can be done.

On Netflix, you can go into your account settings and set it to a lower quality stream. That should reduce the bandwidth/hour usage.

Kids watching 1080p youtube… thats your answer.

That's all web based. If it says "my.tablotv.com" then its going over the web to a server. 

When you go to my.tablotv.com, the browser only communicates with the server to find the Tablo and then all communication is local on your lan.

Have you looked into switching over to a Comcast business account? There are no data caps on the business accounts, even at residential addresses. Speed is lower, 16mbps vs 50 for me, but the 16 is more than enoughfor all the streaming we do. I can stream HD and never have any lag issues. We pay $70 a month for that, whereas we were paying $75 a month for the Xfinity residential product with data caps.

That's all web based. If it says "my.tablotv.com" then its going over the web to a server. 

When you go to my.tablotv.com, the browser only communicates with the server to find the Tablo and then all communication is local on your lan.

Correct the browser and web app uses minimal external data to connect to your Tablo. Yes it uses the Internet to find your Tablo but once it connects to it all the data that is sync’d is done so locally over the router only.