Cut the Cord / Keep the Cable?

A Bloomberg article - The Days of Getting a Cheaper Cable Bill by Threatening to Leave May Be Over. Suggest, With internet service growing faster and more profitable, subscribers are becoming expendable, meaning pay-TV companies no longer need to entice customers who are threatening to quit with discounts and special offers.

Since customers aren’t buying bundled packages, internet alone prices increase - still an overall savings. With TV programing, cable companies have to pay content providers, for network services… it’s highly profitable.

How seriously did you cut your cord? Did you keep some bundled package due to pricing? Are you paying for more bandwidth than you need because “they” said you need it?

1 Like

The cost of the “big” cable/dish providers TV packages is pretty extreme. Even their “streaming” packages are pretty extreme cost wise. You can carry 3-4 more “normal” streaming options and still save a ton.

We (and we’re not alone) were already paying for Netflix and Amazon Prime

We added Philo (we were using Sling, but they raised their prices).

We get Hulu along with our Sprint phone plan.

1 Like

Even though we already had a Tablo, when we moved we signed up for both internet and TV from Comcast, as the TV “was just a few dollars more.” Lots of service issues with both – so much so that 90% of our TV watching was done with the Tablo. Internet was done several times per month, sometimes for as long as 3 days.

Once the contract period was over, we dropped Comcast entirely and signed on with FIOS fiber optic service for Internet only. We added Direct TV Now (streaming service) when I switched to AT&T cell phone service. Prices on that have increased recently, but even with that, we are saving $70 a month. The basic DTV Now package offers all the channels we want (and many we don’t care about).

Everything goes through the Roku boxes, which makes it easier to use. Haven’t looked back.

I don’t have any sources available, I’ve been reading Media Corporations are more-or-less venterating off with their own streaming services, such as Disney and maybe History or Discovery. At one time Hulu was a cooperation of several media content providers, now each seem to find it more profitable to have their own subscriptions service, or ad supported streaming service?

Starts out, as usual, a few dollars for this a couple for that… justify it as still cheaper than cable. But is what we’re paying for… what we’re actually using?

I had noticed this “yet to be released studyThe Average Cord Cutter Subscribes to 3.2 Cord Cutting Streaming Services I couldn’t verify what it’s about, so I’ll mostly pass. The data company, ZypMedia, from my perspective, seem to pander to marketing and advertising corporations - they have a lot of “studies” showing a certain demographic prefers free - ad supported content. :laughing: [http://blog.zypmedia.com/survey-data-on-ott-video-streamers] kind of like conditioning or indoctrination.

So anyhow - yes, even though we cut-the-cord, with 100+ channels, we subscribe to multiple services so we have access to 10k+ of programs (sadly many are 10-20yrs old). Americans - it’s never enough.

We have the luxury of fiber right now and no cable tv, but moving and will only have Cox crappy cable. Still will only get internet, screw Cox, they are such a horrible company.

My son just moved out and will only get internet. But good catch on speeds, they tried to sell him an internet service with ‘blazing’ speed of 1 Gbps for the low, low price of $180 a month!!! Thank goodness I caught it and he got 30 Mbps for $40 a month. The cable guy that came basically said those high end speeds are for suckers, no one needs that speed (except maybe a household of 50 people, lol)