Current state of Android TV app?

It’s possible there could be a successor to the Nexus Player announced tomorrow with specs in between the Nvidia Shield and the Nexus Player at a more affordable price point.

I’m with you though - I would love a Shield. I watched a few video reviews and there is almost literally no wait between any actions. Buffering seemed to take less than 1 second for any stream.

Yea, looking forward to hearing Google’s announcements tomorrow…
I’m a Nexus phone fan as well, and just picked up the Nexus 6 from Amazon for $349 (as upgrade from Nexus 5) - but may return it for one of tomorrow’s new phones depending on price and features.
I had a Logitech Revue Google TV (yes, early adopter addict), but haven’t bought into Android TV yet - mostly due to the way they handled Google TV in general (very poorly IMHO).
Hopefully Android TV will be given a little more respect! :smile:

1 Like

I finally got my Nexus Player set up, and I’m surprised the Android TV platform isn’t more popular around here. It doesn’t have any of the problems that the Roku app has. No lag starting up, instant playback (instead of the 10 second “Loading…” screen I have been used to on Roku.

My only complaint is that scrolling through the recordings should have an animation when you scroll down a page. Right now there is no animation so it’s not quite as beautiful as the rest of the app. I love how you can access all the options available on the Chrome web app.

@TabloTV @TabloSupport can you pass on my positive feedback as well as my very small request to your Android TV team?

1 Like

Will do!

1 Like

I’m not sure if this has been reported elsewhere, but the resume option from the previous time mark has never worked on my Nexus Player (Android TV). Although it gives the option and the correct previous time mark in the drop-down, it always starts at the beginning no matter what. All versions (app, firmwares) are up-to-date. The resume function does, however, work properly using the Android app on my phone and tablet.

1 Like

I’ve noticed this also. Otherwise I’m pretty happen with the Android TV app.

1 Like

@TabloTV @TabloSupport after using the Android TV app more, I have noticed a few more things which would be awesome to see fixed or added. Many of these have already been requested previously but I thought it might help to consolidate.

1. The resume function should actually resume where you left off
  2. Playback should start immediately, not requiring another press of the play button. Also, you should be able to use the “Ok/Select” button to start playback after skipping through frames (commercials)
  3. Integrate into the “Recommendations” portion at the top of the Android TV Leanback launcher. It would be awesome to start up my Android TV, and instantly see the most recent recording waiting for me there, with a shortcut to jump into playback immediately. Considering other apps which are much worse and less developed have implemented this feature, it doesn’t seem like it would take too many resources for you to add.

Other than those suggestions, I am extremely happy with the Tablo app experience on Android TV, moreso than at any other time since I bought my Tablo. Keep up the great work!

1 Like

@getcashmoney -

The play/pause issue should be fixed in the next release.

Resume is a trickier beast… We have plans to make this more rock solid, but it’s part of a bigger initiative that will take some time.

And adding recordings into the ‘recommendation’ bar is definitely on the to-do list as part of that bigger plan I just mentioned.

2 Likes

Interesting. I have two Nexus Players (liked the first one so much, consistent “family” use interface, etc.) and mine will resume playback hitting the ok button (big round one in middle of pointer circle).

Most of the times I have problems with resume where left off is when something weird happens like my router reboots and there is no clean hand-shake of exiting the program. Even then, sometimes it works. But I wonder if it is more recording related than hardware somehow… I have noticed some sports events don’t want to resume where left off…

Anyway, another +1 for Nexus Player (1st gen) - just wish I could get Amazon Prime to install on it, but that’s an Amazon proprietary BS issue - they want to force you to have THEIR player to use their service… shortsighted in my mind…

1 Like

@getcashmoney I also have a Nexus Player. The Tablo app is great. I had a few issues with “playback error” which would stop a recording, but my 2 year old figured out to just hit the select button on the remote when watching Thomas the Train or Daniel Tiger… This has been fixed in the most recent app update. Hoping for even better performance in the next firmware update.

@TabloTV +1 for the Recommendation bar

My one gripe right now with Fast forwarding (FF), which behaves differently that I’d like. I’ve posted this before, but below is a summary.

Playback previously worked like this (Matching the behavior of hitting the 30 and 20 second buttons on my Android App for smartphone):

• While a recording is playing I hit the right dpad and it skips forward 30 seconds and continues playback.
  • While a recording is playing I hit the left dpad and it skips backwards 20 seconds and continues playback.

Playback now works like this on my Nexus Player:

• While a recording is playing I hit the right dpad and it skips forward 10 seconds and pauses playback.
  • While a recording is playing I hit the left dpad and it skips backwards 10 seconds and pauses playback.

I MUCH PREFER the way it previously worked. The thumbnails inform me of when to stop skipping, but playback is continued. This is how most DVRs work. I think Netflix behaves this was as well, unless you hit it too many times, then it just goes to thumbnails and you have to select which thumbnail you want to start on. This isn’t bad, but would probably be hard to implement.

1 Like

I’m surprised they changed this behavior. That old way sounds much better!

1 Like

I agree - the new style of ending the skip in paused mode is weird, requires an extra key press, which is just going to wear out our remotes faster. I too would prefer it do the jump then continue.

I’m also puzzled about the change to 10 seconds … now it takes 3 key presses to skip the typical commercial, and would much rather see each key press = 30 seconds like it used to, and the backup 20 seconds (helpful to clean up an overshoot).

3 Likes

These are still available for pickup at local Best Buy store through their ebay store for $50.

So tempting…

1 Like

Great news, I finally got my Shield TV console, and it is even faster than the Nexus Player, which is hard to believe. Every tab in the Tablo app displays all content instantly, and recordings play back with literally 0 (zero) buffering, both in starting playback and fast forwarding through commercials. This is the fastest streaming device I have ever used, as it should be considering the cost. I don’t think I have ever been happier with @TabloTV before.

That being said, Nexus Player is still awesome, with only a second or two delay doing anything in the Tablo app. For $50 it’s hard to beat. It’s still about 10x faster than the experience on a Roku 3, so I use it in my secondary viewing room.

All of my tests are used via AC 5 GHz WiFi (I pay for 40 mbps down, 5 mbps up through CenturyLink), with an Archer C7 router on the 10mbps 1080p recording setting.

@getcashmoney, What is performance of your Nvidia Shield like when selecting live shows from the guide for playback?

Thanks,
Fred

Does the Tablo Android TV app work on an actual Android “TV” like the Sony TV’s thinking about buying one?

Yes, those run the same Android TV OS as the set top boxes. I’m not sure what processor is in the new Sony TVs though so performance might not be as good as the NVIDIA Shield. Regardless, its performance will likely be faster than anything less than a Roku 4 and much better than any other TV interface.

1 Like

@famichel3, I tested out live TV playback for you. The entire grid loads about after 1 second, with no lag whatsoever scrolling between channels. Playback started in about 10-15 seconds on 3 tests that I did. I honestly don’t know if Shield TV needs that much time, but I guess it’s a hardware limitation of Tablo itself. I never watch Live TV personally unless it is a major event, I usually watch recordings.

It definitely should! The hardware likely won’t be as fast as the Shield but you should be able to load & interact with the app.

1 Like