Connecting issues via Chrome & Roku (can ping device)

So my 4 turner Tablo has been rock solid for a few months now. But sadly I can’t say that still the case. Over the last week or two, connecting via Chrome (desktop) or Roku to the Tablo has been challenging requiring many reboots. 


Rebooted last night because I couldn’t connect, and after a while I was able to see it in Chrome and Roku. 

Tried to connect to it the next day and no luck. Cleared out the browsers cache didn’t help either. 

It’s set up on wireless (802.11ac / 5g) and I can ping it (technically network connectivity is good), so something is alive within the Tablo to respond to the pings. Re-scanning turns up nothing, and trying to connect is a loop of frustration.

The 2TB disk is close to being full, but I can’t see how that should matter. I hate having to reboot it all the time.

Thoughts?


Also to add, this time around required the powering down the unit. Quick taps to the reset button did nothing.

Ping test after reboot:

Pinging 192.168.1.15 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 192.168.1.15: bytes=32 time=1ms TTL=64
Reply from 192.168.1.15: bytes=32 time=1ms TTL=64
Reply from 192.168.1.15: bytes=32 time=1ms TTL=64

Really can’t ask for much better response times.
  1. What is the brand and model of your router?
  2. Use DHCP reservation to set the same IP to your Tablo (essentially assigning the same Static IP to the Tablo box).
  3. Have you tried rebooting the router?
See response below in BOLD
1. What is the brand and model of your router? {Bigcitymike} - Netgear Nighthawk R7000
2. Use DHCP reservation to set the same IP to your Tablo (essentially assigning the same Static IP to the Tablo box). {Bigcitymike} - It was already set as a static IP
3. Have you tried rebooting the router? {Bigcitymike} - I have, though I don't believe this to be a router issue.

After rebooting the Tablo, it again responded to pings. Went to it in Chrome (desktop) and this time it found the Tablo. It started syncing. Let it go all night, and it was still trying to sync in the morning. Roku doesn’t see it either now.

I want to give @TabloTV the benefit of the doubt, but I I have this nagging feeling it’s “O/S” just isn’t ready for prime time when compared to devices like Tivo, Roku and Apple TV. Yes I know their all big companies, but I don’t think that should be an excuse for a product that is supposed to be production ready. 

@bigcitymike - no idea about your situation, so suggest it sounds like a task for @TabloSupport, you should raise a ticket…

I have the same issue today. My tablo is about a month old. I figured it would mess up the day after I did my lifetime subscription. Darn.

Mine is in a cool basement. It was reading 89 degrees in the top middle and 78 on the top sides with a laser thermeter. The bottom was warmer. Nothing around it and it was lifted off the shelf slightly.

While it didn’t feel warm. I unplugged it for a couple of minutes then sat it on well lifted off the shelf and plugged two 40mm fans powered by USB in front the have some active cooling.

Then I was able to boot up and connect.

@GewGaw

Can you also set up DHCP reservation for your Tablo on your router? This is so it gets the same IP all the time.

I do have a reservation set since day one.

I have gone through my sys log server and all seems well. We don’t have access to the tablo logs so I can’t comment on the health of the tablo.

The unit was responding to ping and was showing and discoverable but would not allow any connections from any device, android, chrome, roku, etc

@bigcitymike Last time we chatted, it looked like this was the result of your hard drive at just about 100% capacity. Were you able to get it cleared out and working?

@bigcitymike - no idea about your situation, so suggest it sounds like a task for @TabloSupport, you should raise a ticket...

Thanks @Mark, I’ve already dove that.

@bigcitymike Last time we chatted, it looked like this was the result of your hard drive at just about 100% capacity. Were you able to get it cleared out and working?

No luck @TabloSupport. In fact now I can’t even get it to start the SyncLoopOfDeath after I reboot the Tablo unit. Previously I could get to the setting menu, but it would never sync. My hope was to try the auto-delete function. Doesn’t look like i’m going to get the chance to try that out now.

So after two weeks of messing around with this issue, it took 3 power outages during a storm tonight in order for me to connect via the browser (which automatically kicked off a syncing session). After syncing a while (although not completed) I was able to get to the settings menu, enable auto-delete and then move to the recording section and delete some shows freeing up 400GB of a 2 TB drive.

What a pain in the ass. If filling the drive up with shows isn’t allowed, there should be a warning when the drive is at x% or Tablo should just stop recording. At the time all this took place, the drive did have 14GB free. So it wasn’t 100% full. Close, but not 100%.