(COMPLETED) Surround Sound

Surround Sound HUGE want. So huge I joined the forum. :slight_smile:

Surround sound is the last thing I need to get rid of my TiVos, and with a big tv with 5.1 sound, it would be nice if more speakers were working :wink:

I have surround sound capability but my wife never lets me use it, It’s too loud :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

What!!! To hear it won’t be worked on this season as it is not a priority is quite frankly ridiculous! I love your product and have been spreading the word to others, but may just stop if this doesn’t get moved up the food chain. HD Digital picture and Digital 5.1 sound go hand in hand. Pardon me, but Please knock some sense into the development team or whoever is stalling this. While smartphone apps are a nice, as another user stated that is what the web app is for. Love this product, in fact Great product, but man, 5.1 not important L-)

Not such a tough pick... The more platforms you support "well", the more use and love the product will have. It's crazy that I bought this to use on all my devices but yet, can only use it reliably with a Roku.

For now... Dolby pro logic surround decoding is fine. 

Fix: Chromecast stability; return hardware decoding in the web player; add ie support (or a Window RT app); get video skipping to work on all phones; release a solution for phones to be Tablo remote controls.

I’d definitely make 5.1 surround a priority.  I can get it over the air.  It should not be reduced to stereo through any device.

I know it’s bad form to bump my own thread but here goes anyway.  I’ve seen comments that AC3 passthrough is a low priority and I consider this unfortunate.  I realize there is a big push for streaming to mobile devices but for many cord cutters (including myself) our primary viewing will be at home on “traditional” display devices.  I’m using Roku 3s to view Tablo content on my plasma as well as on the big screen in my home theater.  I want to have the same experience I had in the past just without paying an outrageous Cox bill and that means surround sound as well as HD.

If you truly want to appeal to the masses and get this “revolution” going, you can’t leave out “standard” features that consumers expect to be there automatically.

I love what Tablo does and am very satisfied.  The iPad app rocks and I can’t wait till the Roku interface gets some love (I won’t beat on that horse).  Just gimme my AC3.  :slight_smile:
1 Like

I vote for surround sound also as I use two Roku 3’s and stereo is OK but I sure like 5.1  =D>

1 Like

Not good. I just sent you a RFI on this. I had last read the thread, prior to your delay post… I vote for Surround Sound as a priority. It would be the only function your product does not provide, which I require. Planned to order within the week, but the bump down in priority is not comforting. Within the year is perfectly fine, maybe sometime after everything else, is well… not what I need to make my cord cut perfect.

I want surround too, but I understand that this device was build with the way youngster watch their stuff now.
I frequently see youg fellow watching a movie on their cell phone.

I don’t have surround sound receivers, so I am fine with just stereo.

Hey, you guys answered my question above saying 2H 2014 and that you would narrow down the date when you can. Have you now switched to lowering the priority and having no schedule for it at all?

I would like surround sound as well.  It will really be nice with football season right around the corner.

Yikes… I didn’t realize that this is an issue, and just cancelled my Walmart order for a 4 tuner Tablo because of it. I’ve spent a lot of money on surround sound equipment, and want to make full use of it. Between the 1080p and surround sound issues, this product appears that it’s not quite ready for prime time yet…

I’ve spent a lot of money on surround sound equipment, and want to make full use of it.

It appears the Tablo folks just don’t think AC3 is important. Perhaps none of them have it in their homes. I believe one of them once remarked that not having surround for the start of football season was a first world problem. Hey Tablo, we live in the first world!

@jkline - We did take a look at adding it to the roadmap for the 2nd half of this year but we have other pressing matters to attend to. We’ll take another look in December or early January when we start defining roadmap for the first half of 2015.

If you check out the feature requests thread, you can see we’ve got a lot of competing requests and only so many engineering hours available.

The reason we asked for folks to comment on this thread is to better understand if we underestimated the interest in surround sound vs. other features that have been requested. Given the number of people asking for it in this thread, that may be the case.

Another vote for me … I would love this feature.  Two of my Roku’s are hooked up to surround sound systems.  Thanks.

The reason we asked for folks to comment on this thread is to better understand if we underestimated the interest in surround sound vs. other features that have been requested. Given the number of people asking for it in this thread, that may be the case.
:smiley:

Surround sound please - it is a must for me.

I already voted for surround sound.

As far as the gotta have surround sound for NFL people…all I can say is, run an antenna line to your TV (that should be connected to your surround sound) and watch the games that way, not via Tablo if you “gotta have it”. Problem solved.

I have 5.1 run everything to my TV via HDMI (Roku3 for Tablo) and then TV to my system. Some channels I agree are in stereo, others (FOX) has some sort of sound (that I can’t catch what it is) set up that actually uses my full 5.1. Imitation Surround?

Any way, love the product.