Commercial skip will skip some but not all in a recorded show

Commercial skip will skip some but not all commercials in a recorded show. Also it skips some of the program that is not commercial. Up to date on firmware.

This seems to be a common occurrence that many people have complained about. The algorithms that are used to accomplish Commercial Skip are constantly changing and hopefully improving, but they are not perfect by any means.

I have personally noticed that the quality of the recording will also effect the outcome of the Commercial Skip processing. Any minor glitches in the picture can either cause Commercial Skip to fail completely or cause mistakes in the processing.

My guess is that Commercial Skip will never be perfect. Because of this, many subscribers weren’t satisfied with Commercial Skip and therefore probably lead to Tablo’s elimination of Commercial Skip being offered to new subscribers. If it is no longer offered as a feature, then it is one less thing for a new owner to be concerned about and to complained about if it isn’t working properly.

1 Like

I still would rather have it along with its errors than not having it at all.

1 Like

I guess we’ll have to wait and see how long Tablo will continue this service for those of us still using it.

I agree that commercial skip is not perfect, and am frustrated from time to time that I have to back up or go forward to watch what is the real program. My real beef though, is that as a SnowBird, I have two homes and pay for Commercial Skip for both, even though 6 months per year one home is not in use. I could cancel and restart every 6 months, but that would be a nuisance. For the rest of Tablo fees I bought a Lifetime subscription before they expired to avoid the monthly stuff. Frustrated.

The way it works now is that if you cancel your Commercial Skip service you won’t be able restart it again in the future. So, if you want to keep Commercial Skip at both locations, you will need to continue your existing payments.

On my setup the commercial skip feature seems to be channel dependent. Obviously something is different with the ABC station here because skip is very irregular and a little frustrating. We use thumbnails for the ABC recordings, while the other major networks all do great (almost 100% perfect - fiber connection with blazing speeds) with commercial skip. Great antenna in the attic with totally strong signals for all major networks. Hmmmmmm on the ABC network???

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.