Commercial Skip for B&W Programs

I know that programmatically finding commercials is a tough task.
It looks to me like finding commercials broadcast in color vs a program that broadcast only in black & white should be a relativity easy task.

Why is it that black & white programs such as “Burns & Allen”, “Car 54”, “My Three Sons”, “Phil Silvers Show”, etc. are not being processed by Commercial Skip?

The majority of individual ineligible programs are re-runs of classic series from the 50s, 60s, and 70s like Bonanza, Gunsmoke, and Gilligan’s Island which are primarily broadcast on US subchannels.

The commercial breaks for these older programs are wildly different than those on modern, prime-time programming with either very short commercials or incredibly long ‘infomercial style’ ads which are sometimes inserted in random locations in the episode. These odd ad breaks are not compatible with the current digital signal processing (DSP) algorithms and machine learning algorithms that run on the Automatic Commercial Skip processing servers.

Full details here:

1 Like

Thank you for your response…
I do understand that commercial placement and duration for many of these programs from the 50s, 60s and 70s are very random.
But my question is aimed specifically at the B&W programs…

Whenever I fast-forward through any B&W programs, I just watch the thumbnails for the transition from color to b&w.
I would think that programmatically, this transition would be a lot easier to detect than with thumbnails that are all in color.

I understand, use the chromatic color changes to note the point of commercials. For developers and technicians… they might know how this is done? They have some methods to search for “changes”.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.