Comcast Doesn't Want you to use your own router.... (shocker...)

Comcast is a sadistic company. They just enjoy shafting the consumer too much. They’ve been number one in worst customer service for a decade and they wear that as a badge of honor.

1 Like

I was fortunate to have caught it on sale for about $10 less, but at $89, it’s still a good buy. It’s a little more expensive on Amazon, unless you want to go for a refurb. Personally, I like buying new, especially from Costco, as you get their 90 day return policy, and they extend the manufacturer’s warranty to 2 years.

Thanks, everyone. I will buy a new modem eventually because I do want the extra speed. And just so you all are aware, I found I am able to also file a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission. I will do this, just to put Comcast on notice that they have messed with the wrong person and I won’t take any more bull and incompetency.

I had just as much trouble with Xfinity tv too. I initially contracted with Comcast though a third party company that offers deals. They signed me up at $19.99/month for Internet for 12 months. Comcast billed me $24.99 and said they couldn’t honor the deal I signed. After much argument they offered to charge me $24.99 and give me a $60 credit. Ok, that’s a wash. Then after the 12 months, of course, my “Bill got ugly!” They then offered me a deal for Internet and tv for $39.99/mo. Even though I have Dish tv, which is not too terrible (better channel packages for cheaper), I figured, what the hell, I’ll put Xfinity tv in my kids’ room then since it’s basically free.

Well, you get what you pay for sometimes! They sent over a huge, clunky “set top” box that looks like a Betamax VCR from the 1980s. Who has a “set” that you can put a box on top of anymore? I have no space for that–and all the other tv boxes I’ve had from AT&T and Dish (Hopper DVR) are all slick, compact modern things. So, I had to get it replaced. The second one they sent was smaller, but broken, it didn’t turn on. The third was another big monster thing that was dusty, dirty, and smelled bad. The fourth one was finally the right one! Each one was sent back as per instructions through UPS. The last (dirty) one I returned, Comcast claimed they never received and started billing me for an additional tv box. Of course, I complained–several times–before they finally removed it from my account and credited me.

And I found out from the service techs they sent out after they got my FCC complaint–that the previous installer put filters on my tv and Internet lines. They removed them stating that it was a “mistake” and that sometimes techs put them on there to “lower” the signal (their word. Did they mean attenuate?) to “protect” the equipment. Say what?? Does anyone know, is this more bull crap or what? Why would you want to lower the signal?

Sounds to me like your were being punished for being a vocal customer.

Yep. I’m originally from New York, Tend to be that way!! :slight_smile:

Why not SB6190?

I was looking for the best value that would hold me for another 5 years or so… it’s good enough to get me advertised speeds on my 150 Mbps service. I felt anything else would be overkill for now.

I saw the 32 bonding channels, and sin e TW Austin has 24 bonded channels, plus i wanted something good for a while.

Will be interesting to see after it arrives.

Like the Donald, nothing should SHOCK you when it comes to robber barons like Comcast.
Good luck.

Donald Rumsfeld?

Donald Duck?

Ronald McDonald?

Rhymes with Gump.

I wanted to add something in this discussion.

I see comments looks like tech savvy, who knows. In Philadelphia, when people have verizon or Comcast, I tell people the first mistake they make is with these so called deals from the companies. If the companies going to do that, tell them to stop throttling everyone’s internet.