Closed Captions on an LG 50UM7300AUE TV

When I view recorded programs using Chrome on my Windows/10 laptop, I am easily able to enable close captions. However, on our TV, the closed captions do not function. I have reviewed the LG’s app programs and there does not appear to be a newer version for installation.

Has anyone else had this issue and found a resolution?

Thanks,

David

Here is the official reply from the Tablo folks:

Tablo Support - Arash (Tablo)

Sep 8, 2020, 4:07 PM EDT

Hi David,

My apologies for the delay in response due to the long weekend.

Closed captioning is unfortunately not supported by the Tablo app on LG TVs currently. I have passed this information on to our development team to look into and consider addressing in future updates - however, we do not have an ETA currently.

In the mean time, the best place to stay up to date on any features we roll out is with our newsletter. You can sign up for it here:
https://us2.list-manage.com/subscribe?u=5052ededd9a051a3d0e2f4750&id=b862b4e737

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Thank you,

Arash
Tablo Support

The LG app is one of the few that doesn’t support CC. If it is a must have feature, all the external streaming devices have it.

Interesting. We had the same issue with Britbox, but found the LG update for it and now cc works fine. The TV is about a year old, so I wouldn’t think it is already unsupported.

It’s not that the TV can’t do CC. The LG player that the Tablo uses can’t do it.

Unfortunately TV manufacturers do not upgrade their native / proprietary OS on their TVs for very long, a one year old TV can become obsolete with regards to its “smart TV” functions.

This is why I like standalone boxes which get updates for years. TVs with Android TV or Fire TV should get updates for longer I think.

What I found interesting is that we were able to update the LG WebOS app for Britbox and the cc controls do show. Separately, I emailed Tablo support on Friday. Hopefully, I will get a definitive answer by mid-week.