Closed Captioning

For those of us who are not hearing impaired… read this.

Being disabled is a pain in the back end.  It isn’t fun.  It’s also a pain when people who are not disabled simply don’t give a damn.  I used to be that way… until I lost my hearing.   It can happen to you. And if it does, you’re going to get mad when people without disabilities ignore you. And you’re going to love the ones that fight for you rights.,  

So… with that said… can we have a unique topic entitled “Closed Caption” where we can list all goodies concerning the topic?

Lets start with this:  Is there a manual on these things?  In the manual, anything on closed captioning?   

I would like to record OTA programming.  They have CC.  Will the playback still display CC?

Uncle Fred

Hi, Fred.  Here is the link to the manual. http://support.tablotv.com/hc/en-us/sections/200374776-Tablo-User-Guide

The manual does not mention closed captioning, but that is likely because it was added much later, and it still isn’t fully implemented yet.  Right now, it only works for the Roku app and the iPad tablet app.  It does work for both live TV and recorded TV.

On the iPad, there is a CC button on the bottom right of the screen.  On the Roku app, press the asterisk button on the remote to bring up the CC options.

@Fred - Yes, sorry we don’t have any documentation about CC yet… We’re trying to get caught up on that :) 

As usual, Snowcat is correct. We do have CC enabled on Roku and on the iPad app. Hopefully one of these viewing methods will work for you and your family. 

And, if you pull your vids off the Tablo (e.g. using SurLaTablo), they contain the CC info, either embedded raw into the .ts or as subtitles when .mp4 (the latter requires you to use the optional ccextractor program and -C option).

As usual, Snowcat is correct. We do have CC enabled on Roku and on the iPad app. Hopefully one of these viewing methods will work for you and your family. 

@TabloTV Is CC coming to the new Fire TV app?

@ChrisFix - We’re working on iroining out some of the technical details but it should be possible. 

2 Likes

Anyway to permanently disable CC on the ROKU when you use the instant replay button… ? I notice it gets inadverntaly activated when you do… which is annoying (more so since its often gibberish)

Yes, @ericgus, on the Roku go into settings / captions / turn it off

Yes, @ericgus, on the Roku go into settings / captions / turn it off

Thank you!

I watch via Nvidia Shield and the Tablo USB tuner…any idea when you will have closed captions via the tuner? It is very difficult for people with a hearing problem to understand the words which I why I like it on Sling and Hulu, and Netflix.

Just keep holding the Select/OK button for a few seconds and you will get a CC prompt, then click Select/OK again to activate the option.

Did that - and still no Closed Captioning.

You need to hold the button while there is something playing (live TV or recordings). Did you not get the CC prompt after holding the Select/OK (the round button inside the ring on the remote) for a few seconds?

Hi Rick - Tablo ENGINE does not support closed captioning at this time. Unfortunately I don’t have an ETA to share on when we might be able to include this.

Many of the apps for our hardware DVRs do support this:
https://www.tablotv.com/tablo-how-tos/#cc