Closed Captioning....Again

Guys,

I know this has been discussed a lot, but I want to make sure I found the latest info.   The last post I saw about it was sometime in Feb.   Do we NOT have CCs on the web app or Android yet?  ie: only on iOS (iPad) and Roku?    If so, are they still in plan?   I seem to remember a post that I can’t find now that said the CC work was done for now, so I want to be clear on the plan.   I fired up Tablo on my Galaxy Tab Pro yesterday in a noisy room and was surprised I couldn’t find a way to turn on CCs…

No complaints, just curious…
Thanks,
Mike

Hi @MikeNE - As soon as we get the Roku, FireTV & Android TV apps out we’re going to look at some new video player technology for our Android-based apps. 

Many of the commercial video players have support for CC built-in so this should help us make this a reality without a lot of trouble.

Stay tuned! 

1 Like

Sounds great - thanks.  As I said, I just wanted to make sure I wasn’t missing something.

Thanks for the clarification!
Mike

Does Tablo support closed captioning in Chrome browser on PC? I cannot seem to find a way to turn on CC, but don’t know if I was missing something. Any help is much appreciated!

@kamy2015 - Sorry, the web app doesn’t support CC. :pensive:

So, I am using my iPad and what I think is the latest version of the Tablo app. There is a CC button in the lower right corner of the screen, right next to the AirPlay button, but clicking on it changes it from blue to white but doesn’t turn on or off the closed captioning on the screen of my TV. How do I control whether or not closed captioning appears on the screen?

@mzornow Closed captions can sometimes be stubborn depending on the ATV generation, and the app in use. Try making sure it’s enabled system wide:

3rd generation Apple TV: Settings > Audio & Video > Closed Captioning
4th generation Apple TV: Settings > General > Accessibility > Closed Captions and SDH

Chrome does not support captions. The button to turn it on/off doesn’t appear. if you use Firefox, it appears and works (not on all live tv). Any news on this?

Have you tried lately? The web app does now support CC.

It may take a few seconds for the captions to load in the playlist and the button to appear.

https://www.tablotv.com/blog/tablo-faqs-does-tablo-support-closed-captioning/

I just updated to Chrome Version 57.0.2987.110 and it did get captions working, sometimes. The movie “Sorry, wrong number” has captions in Firefox, but not Chrome. Live Network channels had captions, except “Up To the Minute” on ABC.

CC is when available so it could be that ‘Up to the Minute’ doesn’t offer them… Odd that you’re seeing them on FF but not Chrome for a movie though.

Can you try jumping ahead in the timeline on the movie in Chrome and seeing if they pop up?