Chromecast

@ChrisWilkes @TabloSupport I’ve found that the android app is having a horrible time keeping its cache in synch. I suspect your errors might be because the episodes have been deleted but the android app cache isn’t updating well, so it actually thinks they exist. It’s worth the effort to check against the web app.

I confirmed this multiple times on my setup, when I get this error. I even have an entire “show” that will not show up on the android app at all, even after deleting/readding the Tablo and waiting for the full synch to complete. Very frustrating. This seems to be new since the android app update.

Not sure that the issue of streaming to a Chromecast could be affected by a browser/app cache, but I will leave that to the developers. What tablet are you using @Thumbs? I am using a first generation Nexus 7.

My understanding is once streaming is handed off to the Chromecast the Android App or the Web App are only passive devices in regards to the streaming & decoding. My Android Tablo app or the multiple instances of the Web app do not have any issues with recordings not showing, deleted ones sticking around, syncing when logging in to browse programs, setting up recordings or delete unwanted programs. Both apps work perfectly.

I have already attempted to delete the connected Tablo and “Re-Sync” to no avail. It still has issues with Android App or Web App to Chromecast streaming.

@TabloSupport also forgot to mention that I have over 1.5 terabytes of recordings on a 2 terabyte drive if that makes any differences for troubleshooting purposes.

@ChrisWilkes using a nexus 10. Chromecast streaming hardly works for me anywhere… either web apps (chrome on windows or android phone) or on the android tablet app.

As a matter of fact, I’ve tried all three devices in order to get a football game to stream on my Chromecast and I can’t get more than the first 3 seconds to play before it either goes to black or on most of my devices, it won’t even begin to stream, it just drops the connection after 20-30 seconds of trying to buffer the football game. I would really like to know if you can even get a 3hr video (a football game) to play for more than 3 seconds?

This all seems like a memory issue on the Chromecast… Trying to handle how Tablo streams video. I’m sure the playlist file of all the 10 second segments of a 3hr video is huge!

Can’t wait to hear if a football game will load and if so, can you seek around a few times without a crash?

Interesting note… It was the android tablet app that was able to load the first few seconds of a football game before endlessly freezing the screen 3 seconds in (sorry @TabloSupport it was the tablet app screen that was black… As it’s supposed to be… The Chromecast just froze at the third second of video… It didn’t go to black nor did it ever resume play)

Interestingly, it did respond to Chromecast volume commands (instantly) from the tablet app but nothing else.

Thought that might be insightful to somebody.

We’ve identified a bug that will not allow the Android app to play manual recordings within the app; using either the external or the internal player. Our developers are aware of the issues surrounding Chromecast playback, and are using some advanced analytics to track where users are having issues. We intend to increase the stability of this use case (and the Android app at large) very soon.

@Tablosupport Can someone verify what latest versions are for optimal performance of first gen Nexus 7 andriod, with chromecast, and tablo?  I ordered 4-tuner version in September and may need to return it if we can’t cast to TV…wife can’t tolerate it and it’s a dealbreaker.

Chromecast Firmware Version and how to check?
Andriod OS version?
Tablo android app version and how to check?

Any known issues and expected fix timelines that might help me keep this HW/SW setup and not have to return tablo?

As a follow up, is there an android tablet on the market that has been tested or that a user can confirm works with Tablo and Chromecast.  All my other streaming services work fine.  I suspect the first gen Nexus 7 might be at least one root cause, maybe lacking sufficient memory/processor performance.  I did have my tablo working with my laptop using chrome web app but had to use RGB/HDMI and not chromecast.

@marlbuff You can check your Chromecast firmware version just by opening the app and selecting ‘Devices’ and ‘About’. We’re using the most current version (and so should you, as it updates automatically).

The Tablo Android app can be checked from the Tablo app itself, at the bottom of the Settings screen. See “App version”. The current production build is 2.1.14.

The Tablo Android app supports Android 4.1 and up. The video stuttering bug introduced by Google is present in Android versions 4.4.3 and 4.4.4.

We intend to push out a release within a few days - maybe a week. This will contain both fixes for the Android player issues, and a new video playback setting for the Chromecast, among many other stability improvements and feature updates.

@tablosupport In the spirit of feedback, I’ll also mention that it would be nice to have the 30 sec skip button when trying to watch a recording that is still in progress.

Also, it would be nice to be able to leave the app or at least browse other sections of the tablo app while casting a recording.

Please post here when you have the release out in the next 3-7 days.

Finally, can you provide more detail on the new video playback setting for the chromecast?  Is it lower fidelity, or something under the hood that is just optimized for chromecast.

My wife’s hanging on by a thread.  My biggest fear is by early next week I’ll cave from her frustration and have to crawl back to ATT.  The thought irks me.

@TabloSupport Firmware 2.1.16 and the related android app update did not resolve the following issues:

1) Buffering issues with chromecast
2) cannot seek/skip a recording if it is not finished recording the whole show

Thanks for trying.  Almost got it to where it needed to be to meet our requirements.  Regrettably, my wife is going to add basic time warner cable TV service tomorrow.  She was very displeased with Tablo and me for taking us down this path.

I’ll need to return my tablo and ideally get refunded for the monthly program service fee…how do I go about returning it for refund?

@marlbuff,

Have you considered the new Tivo Roamio OTA ($49 + $15/month).

-MM13

@TabloSupport after updating to 2.1.1.16 and the Android application to 1.1.2.0.0 and then streaming to Chromecast (on version 19084) a half our program video froze and the application showed buffering, hitting the back 20 seconds and it would play on agian and past the original point of freezing only to freeze and buffer a minute or two later over and over again. Even did this on a recording made after the update.

It is disheartening that steaming to the Chromecast works perfectly fine when playing to an external application “Yaste” and using the Yatse remote player plugin to send to the Chromecast, works perfect! Played two half hour programs without issues. I was starting to suspect the issue was my WiFi router (even though it is 18 inches from the Chromecast or my enterprise grade hard drive wasn’t so “enterprise”. Would be nice if it natively played to Chromecast. I can’t recommend the Tablo to friends and family if they have to jump through hoops just to play a program on their television.

@marlbuff We spoke this morning - looking forward to hearing your results with the new Chromecast recording quality.

@ChrisWilkes these sounds just like the issues I’ve had for months. I would share that the new record setting seems to resolve the issue (limited testing so far of course) but my Chromecast goes right back to ‘stupid’ once old Tablo 720 recordings are streamed… And the ‘stupid’ seems to last into the next video streamed, even if it’s a new video with the Roku/Chromecast 720 setting.

I’m saying, avoid all old recordings via Chromecast and if you do launch one… Either reboot the Chromecast device or connect to it via another service to clear out the Tablo induced ‘stupid’. Then the new videos should be (gosh I hope so) flawless.

@tablosupport Unfortunately the Chrome/Roku recording setting did not fix either of the two lingering issues that are key for us (buffering and ability to seek while casting). Please advise on how I can process a return and refund.

@tablosupport On a whim I just purchased a Roku 3 to compare performance against the chromecast.  It also has buffering issues.  Striking out here.  Please advise on return/refund process.

@marlbuff Just sent you an email - feel free to give me a call.

@tablosupport On a whim I just purchased a Roku 3 to compare performance against the chromecast.  It also has buffering issues.  Striking out here.  Please advise on return/refund process.

@marlbuff,

If you are experiencing buffering issues with the Roku3 then the problem is most likely your network.  I used Ethernet for my Tablo and Roku3 and never experienced buffering issues.  

-MM13