Chromecast experiences? Help gather info

Hate the NP & Shield. They’re slow & not as flexible to me.

??? I am shocked that your experience is so different than mine… Everything except Amazon has come up roses since Marshmallow for me…
And I switched from Server essentials 2012 to a Synology NAS with 8TB (32T max capacity) for the “hands off” approach…

I guess the phrase “whatever floats your boat” applies…

Compared to a touch screen… super slow! I can fling down a list or drag the side thingy to where I want to go in huge lists. Also there’s no down time. Since it’s on my phone I can look for what I want to watch next & queue it up with out having to wait for the one I’m watching to stop & then go click around with a remote. Or look for something to play in a completely different app while still watching the first app. Can’t do that on any other device. :smiley: It’s this flexibility & ergonomics of the phone being a 2nd screen & remote all in one that has me hooked & never want to go back to a remote. Not to mention seeking in video! Most have thumbnails of where you drag so you can see where you are in the vid & not just skip 30 secs at a time forward… to far 10 secs back… type thing.

Oh… & I HATED it the first week or two. It was so different to me. Didn’t seem natural. Now listen to me, not willing to ever go back. lol

I have everything on the Ubuntu computer now except Plex. I have that on a super fast gaming computer & Plex seems to get more support on the windows side.

lists… we don’t need no stinking lists…

voice search.-> Hulu/ Plex library/ Google Live Channels…

Plex for Ubuntu is now v0.9.16 (22 April 2016)

LOL I hate voice search. One of the few things on android I haven’t gotten used to. Still can’t use that while watching something full screen tho. :-p

Yeah Plex on Ubuntu is missing things like network links for libraries & other weird oddities I noticed. The windows version is always so much ahead of it. I’d like it all to be on the server but I also like it being on a computer with a ton of power to re encode stuff too. I did both for a week & decided the gaming puter was better.

Plex Version 0.9.16.6 on it now.

Zoneminder is also on that server watching & recording 7 1080p cameras. That eats up some cpu time & with Plex & it fighting some times… was better off on a computer by it’s self.

That said, I would either get the same experience then or worse. See my ClearStream Juice Amplifier or Channel Master Amplify Post. I don’t have a Channel Master so I don’t have anything to compare to. Well, yet anyway.

With zoneminder I don’t miss stuff like this:

Thieves too I guess :smiley:

I guess I’m to close to all the towers cuz I haven’t seen any difference in any tuner I’ve tried. I even had 2 $40 ones with just 6 inch rabbit ears on em for the last 5 years work just fine unless the weather got really wonky. Then I found Tablo… had to buy a good antenna & do other work arounds.

The first (and only) negative report here from a NP or Shield user. Overwhelming feedback between NP and Shield vs Chromecast has Chromecast coming in a dismal last.

Chromecast fits in your pocket. NP/ Shield- only with REALLY big pocket.

That’s just crazy. That’s what someone else was suggesting on my other Post. Well, you could always add another Antenna and point it towards the other towers you’re having the problem with. Why?? The picture is just fine on the TV directly in. Maybe they should put better Tuners in the Tablo.

or put a LNA(Low Noise Amplifier) in the Tablo to offset internal splitter loss.
Adding antennae should be for actual reception issues, not overcoming signal loss due to splitting…

Oh it was more the problem of even one pixel out of place crashed chromecast. But it also made recordings stop & sometimes restart too if the signal broke up even in the slightest. At least that’s what it looked like to me. After replacing the antenna I’ve never had a program broken into parts again so… Chromecast still doesn’t work but that’s all Tablo!

Maybe we should start a new Post - Building The Perfect Tablo :wink:

I threw something out like that already… LNA, USB3, Gig-Ethernet, internal SSD Cache

I would say the Tuners in the Tablo are actually pretty good, but they probably could have done a bit better by offering a better amp to help offset the splitters…

Just running the antennas straight to my TVs, some pick up fewer channels (or have artifacts) while others do better than Tablo. However, if I SPLIT my antenna 4 ways (without an amp) none of the TVs can pickup half of what Tablo does.

I keep seeing people compare Tablo to a single TV run… On one hand, thats not a fair comparison as aTablo has to split the signal to 4 tuners… On the other hand, they could have amped the signal more to offset them, but THEN maybe they were worried about amping additional noise…

The more I think about it, the more I think Tablo should just offer an inline amp as an accessory and then include some verbiage in the marketing material that indicates that if you don’t have GREAT signal, they recommend either the two tuner version or here buy this optional amp and install it near the antenna. They could have builtin the amp power inserter into the Tablo…

Still EXTREMELY happy with my Tablo setup, but as I have told others, it really isnt as plug and play as it could be. For most itll still pay for itself in a few months even with a few upgrades, but not being properly informed on what you might be getting into, I am sure runs off a few customers and creates a few returns…

Sorry rambling.

I only have the 2 tuner version. Less splits, don’t know if that maters. Only have like 5 channels I put into the guide so 4 was over kill.

K:
Ha! Or a small backpack

Yes it should, I wouldn’t expect much of a signal degradation there at all. Have only had 4 tuner models though so not sure.

2 tuner has 3.5db more signal. a 3dB difference is double the signal
At the half power point an audio circuit or an antenna exhibits an attenuation of approximately 3 dB.

No clue what that means. hehe