Chromecast experiences? Help gather info

How close?

I should probably stop running this thread off topicā€¦
(they probably have a Chromecastā€¦)

Oh support has already said next to no one has this problem & they canā€™t reproduce it. They clearly arenā€™t going to do anything about it except cite that we should have read some random blog before buying the Tablo. Soā€¦ no biggie.

@riffy +1 there.

I went through the same thing. Yeah sure, weā€™ll help. It must be a setting. Opps, what where you saying was an issue again? Riffy who?

:slight_smile:

1 Like

Weā€™re all just delusionalā€¦ it works perfectly fine. Itā€™s clearly our fault for expecting so much. :blush:

OK I guess even the slightest rain & the signal on mine gets messed up too. Weird that it doesnā€™t record the broken up part just see a few pixeled areas then it skips ahead. Did it a lot on one show I watched last night.

weather has always had adverse effects on reception. It had been traditionally worse on UHF due to wavelength and historically lower broadcast power, but some stations lowered VHF power during the transition making reception more difficult.

I am pretty sure that the electric power lines right outside my back yard are not helping my inclement weather VHF reception.

Iā€™m only like 5 - 10 miles from the towers with a 30 mile radius antenna. I used to use freakā€™n rabbit ears for the last 5 years with out issue. Of course they kept recording if it pixilated tho.

That makes me think of overdriving/ multipath interference. Back to a comment that I made earlier about the lack of signal analysis tools for Digital that were unnecessary for Analog.

That close, I almost think that putting the antenna high enough to be true ā€œline of sightā€ with an attenuator to REDUCE signal levels (specifically targeting multipath/ reflected signals) might be the preferred method to make the signals cleaner (NOISE vice SIGNAL LEVEL )

No idea. 6 Inch rabbit ears tossed into a closet worked for years before I got Tablo.

if your signal was analog you would probably see ā€œmultipleā€ or ā€œghostā€ images on your problem channel(s), as opposed to the macroblocking/ pixelated dropoutsā€¦

Analog? They even have that still? My super fancy rabbit ears were attached to my ultra fancy $40 USB digital tuner. See how fancy?. :smiley:

I have that EXACT tuner/ antenna that I used to use for my laptop ā€œon the roadā€ viewing!!!

(and there are a couple of ā€œnicheā€ low power analog stations still out thereā€¦)

Crazy that sad 5 year old little thing gets better reception. LOL Iā€™m keeping it to do the same thing! Connect it to a laptop when the power goes out. Hurricanes here soā€¦ seems like a good idea to keep that.

Are there really analog stations left? :-o

I have 2 of these but I canā€™t figure out what I did with the other one. :frowning:

tvfool will give you the analogs near you. (I have 3 green, 6 yellow, 3 red, and 3 purple near me. [mostly at 12 miles] I donā€™t watch any of themā€¦)

Any analogs still on the air are LP stations, so reception is likely difficultā€¦

Interesting, theyā€™re all a lot closer than I thought. WGNO is the one I record from the most & itā€™s 0.5 miles away. Actually itā€™s only like 5 blocks from me, didnā€™t realize that was their tower. I can see it from the front window. hehe No wonder I could use rabbit ears. Wonder whatā€™s wrong with Tablo not getting them as strong.

There are no analog around me. I thought there was but realized I was reading it wrong. opps

The green around me:
Callsign Chan Network Dist(mi) Path NM(dB)
WNOL-TV 15 CW 0.5 LOS 95.1
WGNO 26 ABC 0.5 LOS 94.7
WDSU 43 (6.1) NBC 0.5 LOS 92.6
WVUE-DT 29 Fox 1.0 LOS 88.3
WYES-TV 11 (12.1) PBS 1.0 LOS 88.1
KGLA-DT 42 2.5 LOS 75.6
WWL-DT 36 (4.1) CBS 5.3 LOS 74.2
WUPL-DT 24 (54.1) MyN 4.1 LOS 73.7
WPXL-TV ā€“ 50 (49.1) ION 4.1 LOS 71.1
WLAE-DT 31 (32.1) PBS 2.4 LOS 71.1
WHNO-DT 21 (20.1) Ind 4.1 LOS 68.9
KNLD-LD 28 4.1 LOS 59.1
W33DT-D 33 4.1 LOS 58.6
K47JO-D 47 4.0 LOS 56.4
WBXN-CD 18 5.3 LOS 50.6
KNOV-CD 41 6.3 LOS 50.3

go back up to my earlier post about too strong/ noiseā€¦

you already list everything as LOS, so as long as you entered height as your actual, you are more than likely dealing with noise problems. Your station NM(dB) are huge. I definitely suspect interference as a major contributor to reception problems.

(if they were analog you would probably be watching 2 different channels at the same time)

Yeah still donā€™t really understand all that. Interesting to find out thatā€™s what that tower is tho. Who knew? hehe

they do sell hardware to analyze DTV signals for noise and everything youā€™d want to know. too bad they are ridiculously expensive ($5k and up)

WOW! Not that curious! :smiley: