Changing from 2 tuner to a 4 tuner Tablo

I bought the 2 tuner and like it very much but my wife wants more tuners for more rooms so we are exchanging for the 4 tuner.Will I have any trouble just connecting up the 4 tuner model when it comes in? I’m not worried about any recordings.

Thanks!

You will lose the recordings and it will need to format for the 4 tuner, but other than that it should be the same setup

Yes it’ll be fine. Connect your hard drive to a computer and format it first before plugging into the new Tablo.

Thanks! Now I also need to get some more Roku boxes. I have just one Roku 3 and it works great. Is it considered the best for incurring the least trouble?

I am looking forward to the new channel that will show the channel guide on the TV too.

Just a suggestion if you want Live TV to more boxes, you can split the cable from your OTA antenna and connect it directly to your HDTVs. You don’t necessarily need a quad tuner Tablo. Unless you really want to record 4 shows at once.

Go with the Roku 3.

Thanks! Now I also need to get some more Roku boxes. I have just one Roku 3 and it works great. Is it considered the best for incurring the least trouble?
I am looking forward to the new channel that will show the channel guide on the TV too.

If you are buying new devices, you owe it to yourself to look at the Amazon Fire TV as well.  It is technically a more advanced product  (more processing power & memory) and is available as a $40 ‘Stick’ and a $100 ‘Box’ - so competitive to Roku.  Tablo is releasing support for the Fire TV this quarter, and from their postings, before the Roku update, so presumably in the next 4 - 6 weeks.  The demo they have on their blog looks really nice.  The extra horsepower should serve it well in rendering recording lists and the like.

Referencing @ChrisFix, but to all… just make sure you do your research on Fire TV.  If you are a Plex user, make sure you examine the forums there for various issues.

Referencing @ChrisFix, but to all.... just make sure you do your research on Fire TV.  If you are a Plex user, make sure you examine the forums there for various issues.

I don’t use Plex, but good to know.  FWIW, Plex is officially supported on Fire TV according to this from Plex:

https://plex.tv/amazonfiretv

Plex is pleased to be a partner in the exciting, new streaming platform, Amazon Fire TV. For Plex users, this represents another way to enjoy all of their personal media on the big screen.

Amazon wanted to ensure that its users would be able to access, organize, and share their favorite media so they turned to Plex. Similar to our integration with other streaming devices (such as Roku and Chromecast), Plex organizes and beautifies users’ personal media so they can easily stream their movies, music, and photos directly to their TV.

@ChrisFix, most of the users have had a pretty positive experience, but almost all have said they thing locks up and/or stutters on 1080 media… but overall, it’s been positive, but YMMV (?)

Makes you want to see FireTV 2.

But you know for the price (especially the stick)… one can tolerate the occasional lockup, reboot, stutter, etc…

1080p issues have resolved in Plex after the latest firmware update on the Fire TV Stick.

I am also exchanging my Amazon week old 2 tuner for a 4 tuner. Just too many recording conflicts. Hoping for >2 TB support in 2015.

Tom

@tom95521 - It’s been a long road but we can see the light at the end of the tunnel on larger drive support. Will definitely happen within this calendar year!

If Tablo invents an 8 tuner version I would probably buy that one too! Streaming services are great but there is a lot of content only available OTA.

Thanks,
Tom
If Tablo invents an 8 tuner version I would probably buy that one too! Streaming services are great but there is a lot of content only available OTA.

Thanks,
Tom

I agree with you @tom95521, since I have had cable for so long I did not realize there were so many channels. In fact out of the close to 100 I can receive I had to cut that down because it was just way to much. I cut it down to about 17 and there is still a lot of shows to record :wink:

@tom95521 - Well, that isn’t in the plans but they say, 'Never say never…'

You can actually run multiple Tablo units on 1 network if you really need more than 4 tuners! Might want to keep the 2-Tuner :smiley:

Multiple Tablos also gets around the 2TB disk issue  …

(did I just say that out loud?)
:slight_smile:

I got a 2 tuner originally and then added a 4 tuner…

2 Tuner my wife uses, but I tend to delete shows when done watching, so my disk tends to look like this :stuck_out_tongue:

This should probably be filed under Roadmap but my ideal Tablo would have the following specs.

8 tuners with tuning strength indicator.
2 usb3 ports with ext4 filesystem.
4 or 8 core intel or arm cpu (one for each channel).
8 GB memory

Cost $499 US. :slight_smile:
Multiple Tablos also gets around the 2TB disk issue  ...

(did I just say that out loud?)
:)

Yes, but at a price and with added UI complications.

Question. If I keep my 2 tuner Tablo just for live TV viewing does it require a hard drive attached? I realize time shifting/commercial skip would not work.

Tom