Can tablo be set up and watched on tv with everything hardwired (no wifi)?

Hi, I’m having a hard time understanding how everything is set up with the tablo, specifically how the tablo connects to the Roku and then to the tv. I’d really like to know if wifi is required at any point or if everything can be done via ethernet. Right now we have our internet connection coming in upstairs, which goes to an upstairs router and from the upstairs router we run ethernet through the ceiling and down the wall to the downstairs tv via a roku. We’re actually going to put a switch downstairs to have a downstairs computer as well. How would the tablo fit in this picture? I’m trying to determine if a tablo is worth buying since we really only want to use it for an OTA dvr, but the other OTA dvr’s available don’t seem to have as good of recording guides that tablo has.

So basically right now we have upstairs internet connection>router>ethernet>roku>tv. How would this be with a tablo in the mix? I don’t really want to use wifi at any point as I prefer to simply wire something and leave it be rather than mess with wifi going in and out, etc. Thanks a bunch for any help.

Almost everyone here has their Tablo connected directly to their router.  In my setup, I have internet connection to my Uverse modem.  My Netgear router connects to that.  I have a PC, Roku, Tablo, and FireTv all hardwired to that router.

The reason wireless is talked about so much here is for the clients.  I use wi-fi for a 2nd Roku, 2 tablets, smartphones, another PC, and occasionally a Chromecast.  But if you just want to use your Tablo for TV watching, it certainly can be setup with all wired ethernet.

I think the best place in your setup would be to put it on your upstairs router, but it might work on the downstairs switch as well. If you want any wifi clients at all, the upstairs router is probably the only way it would work.
Almost everyone here has their Tablo connected directly to their router.  In my setup, I have internet connection to my Uverse modem.  My Netgear router connects to that.  I have a PC, Roku, Tablo, and FireTv all hardwired to that router.

The reason wireless is talked about so much here is for the clients.  I use wi-fi for a 2nd Roku, 2 tablets, smartphones, another PC, and occasionally a Chromecast.  But if you just want to use your Tablo for TV watching, it certainly can be setup with all wired ethernet.

I think the best place in your setup would be to put it on your upstairs router, but it might work on the downstairs switch as well. If you want any wifi clients at all, the upstairs router is probably the only way it would work.

It’s a hard concept to get use to.  The tablo does not have to be near the TVs you use.  I have one of my tablos on the 3rd Floor so it can be close to the antenna. However my router is in the basement.  It’s not practical for me to run an ethernet cable 3 floors to the tablo. I use TP-LINK, Model PA401KIT (from Amazon).  It’s two small boxes that plug directly into a nearby electrical outlet. One near the Tablo and One near your router. You plug a short ethernet cable from the tablo and from the router into these boxes, and your internet signal travels over the electrical wiring.  Works great for me. I have 3 ROKU 3s on my 3 TVs. Two are hardwired to the router.  The 3rd ROKU 3 is on the 3rd FL and is connected by WiFi. It works fine.

A simple flow diagram would be helpful. Just think of it this way. Antenna and Internet to Tablo, this feeds OTA broadcast to the Tablo and puts the Tablo on your network. Tablo talks to all your devices over your network. Some people have luck with the Tablo on wifi but most recommend it be wired. The Roku connects to your tv with audio/video cables. The Roku 3 uses HDMI for this. It also connects to your network which is how Tablo sends the video to the Roku.

I would love it if the WiFi worked.  I’ve had Tablo since it was release and have never been able to get the WiFi to work.

@johnn - Here's a diagram of how Tablo works. The streaming boxes can be connected directly to your router via Ethernet or via WiFi. Ditto w/ the Tablo.

@django363 - Place a ticket w/ support and we can investigate why this is happening for you.

I would love it if the WiFi worked.  I've had Tablo since it was release and have never been able to get the WiFi to work.

It depends on your router and network.  Since switching the Tablo and the Roku 3 to the 5 instead of 2.4, I have not had any network problems.  The Roku LT in the bedroom is still on the 2.4 since the signal has to go thru a wall.  I have a Linksys EA-3500 router.  This is near the last router Linksys made while Cisco owned them.  I believe either Netgear or Belkin makes Linksys now.

Almost everything in my home is hardwired with the exception of 1 roku box … and the mobile devices.