Buffering Issue

I recently have been having buffering issues on 2 of my roku sticks. When I am watching some recordings, it will buffer about every 15 seconds. On some other recordings, it works fine. I have rebooted my Roku Stick and that does not seem to help. I have been using Tablo for over 2 years, same settings as when I started. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

What is the model number of your Roku Stick? Some of the sticks have only Wireless N 2.4 GHz which can become congested and results in interference issues.

Indeed.

If you need the ‘how-to’ on looking up the model number, that’s covered here:

They are both 3500X

We’ve never officially supported/recommended this model because its WiFi connectivity was so poor.

If you click on the link above we actually call it out as a model to toss.

Our latest list of recommended devices is here:

That model is from 2014 and is notorious for WiFi issues and interference from the HDTV. All over the Roku forums. It’s so bad Roku even offers a free extension cable to place the Stick farther from the TV.

7. Get an HDMI extender (Roku Streaming Stick only)

If you are having trouble with the connection on your Roku Streaming Stick, you can order a free HDMI extender cable to help improve wireless reception.

If I want to replace my old Roku Sticks what model or models do you recommend?

If I want to replace my old Roku Sticks what model or models do you recommend?

First confirm you’re not having issues on other decides such as a smartphone or tablet or computer.

What is the make and model of your router? Maybe it’s better replace that if it’s dated.

Thanks for all your help. I will check that too.

I have Netgear WNDR4500 router

I have a Netgear WNDR4300 that sits 16 feet away from the TV. 5GHz streams tablo 5 Mbps videos like a champ to a Roku 4200, Roku Ultra, and gen 2 Fire TV stick.

But the cpu in the Roku 4200 is 50% faster then your 3500x.

Didn’t they ask for suggestions? I thought everything was working for 2 years and wanted help… not how much better someone else’s system is. Oh well.

1 Like

You can always throw any amount of crap that might stick to the wall. I have seen suggestions to replace all the light bulbs to reduce WiFi interference.

Aren’t some answers to replacing a router based on actual testing these devices in a series of tests to determine when and where things choke.

Of course if you like to upgrade to get that warm fuzzy feeling, go for it

But I would always start with replacing the Roku with a new higher end model. It will provide better performance for all OTT apps. And I think the video display of my 4661 ultra is better then the 4200 when viewing the same recording.