Buffering is a real problem, might be done with Tablo

It’s a SanDisk 126gb usbd rive
Plugged into the tablo. But what would that have to do with live streaming?

The Tablo has to buffer to the drive to enable replay etc for live viewing.

Is that a flash drive? They’re specifically disallowed. Too slow for video buffering.

So try removing the flash drive and rebooting.

1 Like

I have issues with buffering too, but mainly with live TV. DVR playback seems more reliable. I disconnected my HDD (Seagate) and ran live TV with the onboard storage and it worked better with no buffering. I can actually probably get by just fine with 64 gigs that it comes with. But now I have to watch everything that’s on the hard drive and then start recording on the on-board storage. I don’t think there’s a way that you can have the external hard drive plugged in but have it record using the on-board storage. It’s one or the other as far as I can tell.

It’s video, Jake.

Always, always, ALWAYS start with hardwiring first to see what happens. Always suspect wifi.

Even if you have to go out and buy a 100ft cable and run it up the stairs to see what happens, start with that. The simple fact is, video requires reliable bandwidth–and that means a wire.

Last night I ran some speed tests on my laptop. DSL Reports showed 16 megabit speed. But I have 100 megabit coming into the house…hmmmm. Then I tried fast.com–same results. My son was downstairs video chatting with his girlfriend, so maybe that was it?

Nope–a minute later he comes up and wants to know if I’m fiddling with things, because his video chatting has gone to dogmeat.

For grins I remote into my hardwired computer that’s serving me Plex, and run the speed tests there. Prime time, Sunday night, I get 110 megabit results.

Yup. It must be the wireless. So I pick up my phone and restart the Google Wifi. A minute later it’s up, and all the wireless issues are resolved.

So be it with wireless. If it’s video you want, wires are your friend. I’m not saying wireless can’t work, but you’ll wrestle with it more times than you like.

I completely agree.
While I would never recommend having a set up like my mom’s, her Tablo uses wifi, and is 1 floor above, and 2 rooms over from the wireless router, and all her Rokus connect via wifi, too.
She has zero issues.
However, she is superstitious, and performs pagan rituals for luck, so that might be the difference that counts.

I too am having severe buffering problems with Tablo…
Most advice given here is pointing to anything and everything but Tablo itself.
I believe I can unequivocally now point the finger at Tablo.

First off, my primary device is a 4-tuner Tablo with a 2 TB Seagate drive.
It is hardwired directly to my router.
I have a second 2-tuner Tablo in a different physical location that I can also test with.
I have no buffering issues with Firesticks or Roku-3s clients if the server and client are on the same network

Externally is where my problem lies.
The remote buffering I’m experiencing renders the Tablo unusable remotely!
Buffering occurs sometimes every 20-30 seconds.

I have tried the Tablo client on Gen2 Firesticks, 4K Firesticks, both wireless, and hardwired.
At the server location with the 2-tuner Tablo, I also have a Dish Hopper. Their remote client runs flawlessly.
So I’ve ruled out network issues with 2 different sites and by using hard-wired connections only.
My upload speeds are typically 10 Mbit at both server sites.
I have tried to throttle Tablo down to SD speeds (2 Mbit). No help.
So I’m down to poor remote streaming protocol implementation on the Tablo.

Tablo support gurus - jump in.

I have seen numerous problems with Tablo related to signal strength. Not too little but TOO MUCH! I finally put a splitter in front of my Tablo which cut the signal by about 3dB and virtually all my problems went away. I did have some buffering problems but I’m convinced those were related to the FireTV stick. Since you are so close to the towers, as a simple test, try cutting down the incoming signal. Use a splitter or two in front of the Tablo and see if it makes any difference. It may not help but it looks like you have tried a lot of other things and this is pretty easy to do and in my experience, solved a number of problems.

Steve

Not close to any towers.
Blaming this on signal strength doesn’t wash as I have no buffering problems when the client and server are on same network.

I agree. I didn’t realize this was an old thread and looked back at the beginning. Sorry.

Are all of your Tablos running the same firmware? If so, is it the latest (2.2.30)?

Do you see any difference when using the FULL QUALITY in the remote access settings?

If that’s the case and you’re willing to spend some time troubleshooting with the support team, give us a ring or drop us a note: www.tablotv.com.

I had the same problem using the ROKU as input to my Samsung TV. By trial and error I found that if I use the Samsung Tablo app instead of the ROKU app, the reception is flawless. So, until I come up with a better solution, I watch live TV through the Samsung app, and play back thru the ROKU to get the superior ROKU remote functionality.

Chuck, which Roku device are you using? Some have AC 5 wifi, while many others only operate on the 2.4gHz band. For instance, the new Roku Premier line has only the 2.4 band. The older Roku Premier and Premier Plus+ had both bands and handled streaming much better. In our house, we moved from a Roku 2 to the new Premier and had many streaming issues despite the router being in the same room, separated by several feet. Turns out, the new Roku was seeing over 10 different wifi signals from by neighbors in addition to mine. We switched to a Roku Ultra connected via hardwire, and the problem disappeared. (Our Roku units in other rooms worked fine – but our main TV room was totally “windowed” on 3 sides and did little to attenuate the wifi signals from outside.)

Model 3920 with single band 2.4 GHz discussed in the thread below.

https://community.tablotv.com/t/live-tv-through-roku-has-problems/

It is a 3920. But I’m over it; using the Samsung Tablo app to get live TV, and Samsung has OK Netflix and Prime apps, so I’m good. Thanks, though.

So I called Tablo tech support and spoke with a “Guru”…
AN ABSOLUTE WASTE OF TIME.
I and they know there are major issues with their remote protocols on Firesticks.
They just don’t want to admit it in writing (barely, indirectly admitting it verbally).
They believe it’s a latency issue and poor network design of Firestick.
Asked then why I have no issues with other Firestick streaming apps, the response
was because no one else uses the protocols they use for remote streaming.
Seems like the solution is obvious - implement a protocol that works as other Firestick developers have done.
They threw in the poor HW design on the Firestick because I told them I had no issues with their App on running remotely on my Moto G5 Cell and Samsung 10.1 Tablet (circa 2014).
I have too much invested in 6 Firesticks to switch to Roku.
Thumbs down from me on Tablo’s tech support and standing behind their product.

Roku devices do not support remote viewing.

I have no issues streaming remotely on the Fire TV 1st gen. Which Fire TV Stick do you have?

Try the new Chromecast with Google TV.

Remotely viewing? what? Doesn’t Firestick stream content via the internet only? not even from Recast.

I understand you are frustrated with the problems you are encountering, I would be too.

But they are absolutely telling you the truth with the above statement. The Tablo app streams content in a fundamentally different way than most other video streaming apps (I’m assuming when you say other streaming apps you mean apps like Netflix, Prime Video, etc.). From a support perspective they are an apples to oranges comparison.

1 Like

I have got my Tablo Dual Lite 128 GB on board storage directly wired to my router and I am running 5GHZ on everything. I have 400MPS download speed and I have the Tablo app on 3 other TV’s and have never experienced any buffering. I recieved 30 over the air channels with a riff mounted antenna. The only problem I have had with the Tablo is the commercial skip not working correctly. Hope you get this issue solved. I believe it is always better to hardwire all of your devices if possible because wifi can be unreliable at times