Birds chirping on the background in recordings

It seems this issue may be occuring when the Tablo transcodes the native 5.1 AC3 audio to 2.0 AAC.

Why can’t you turn on surround sound and let the Tablo record the untouched 5.1 AC3 stream? Your problem might go away.

Almost all TVs made in the last 10 years can playback AC3 audio over HDMI. All iPhones and iPads can play it back. The new Win 10 app can play it back. I believe most Android devices can too.

Wow! I have always turned off my surround sound. Thank you! I’ll turn it on and see if I won’t hear the chirping noise on live or recording.

Thank you again.

Update: This is now my Tablo Dual Lite’s settings with the Surround Sound ON:

That is the correct way to turn it on, it is a global setting and all future recordings will be made with the native AC3 audio track, so there is no conversion from AC3 to AAC (this goes for live TV too). Most of your devices should be able to playback AC3 audio.

What is your main playback device?

2 Likes

Any update? How often was this occurring before?

No update yet. I’m traveling and I may not have time connecting to my Tablo.

Update: I just did a quick scan of all my recorded programs from an airport lounge and so far newer recordings (with the surround sound ON) are chirchirpless. So, this may have fixed the issue. We’ll see.

At LAST I think I found a solution. For years I have been battling the terrible chirping sound on CBS Evening News in both Salt Lake City and Seattle. I have finally eliminated it (I use Roku) by changing Tablo settings via computer to use surround sound and setting Roku to Dolby Digital. The loud sound of water dripping, or what some call chirping, went away!!!

1 Like

Oh yeah! I forgot to update this thread after my setting of surround sound to ON, the chirping or water dripping sound went away, completely.

1 Like

Same problem. Did you ever find a fix for this problem? The video quality is excellent but the chirping sound makes watching the recording unbeatable. Tablo Dual using Roku for streaming back recordings.

Yes, this problem needs to be addressed.

Have you turned on surround sound on your Tablo? It is under the Tablo settings.

I changes the setting and the Tabo ((Dual) refused to record two TV shows off the air.
This is not a “good fix” if I lose the ability to record TV shows.

Sounds like your Tablo has more problems than you think. Changing the recording setting to surround sound on should not stop it from making recordings. Open a support ticket directly with Tablo Support so they can look at your logs and see what’s going on.

With surround sound on, your Tablo is actually “doing” less work, it is not transcoding the native 5.1 AC3 audio to 2.0 AAC.

If indeed your TV does not support pass-through of 5.1 Surround Sound, but you had enabled then later disabled Surround Sound on your Tablo you may see:

"This program was recorded in Surround Sound, which is not supported by your device."

Tablo recordings are created with a singular audio track - either stereo or Surround Sound.

It is not possible to change the audio track of previously created recordings, so unfortunately this recording will not be playable on unsupported TV setups

What is the make and model of your HDTV? Almost all HDTVs support AC3 passthrough over HDMI. You just need to have the correct Audio settings on your Roku (this is the system settings on the Roku, outside of the Tablo app).

TV Viso by LG 29LN4510. I did not see any adjustments on the Roku Streaming Stick + 3810RW. Could you direct me to the general area to find the adjustments? You can understand my reluctance to mess with adjustments because I already lost to TV show recordings.

You didn’t lose them, it sounds like the recordings are there are on the Tablo you just can’t play them back on the Roku. Do you have a computer with Windows 10, or an iPhone or iPad? You can try playing back the recording on one of those devices to see the recording didn’t fail.

Did you look under the system settings? Try the following:

• Press the Home button on your Roku remote.
  • Scroll up or down and select Settings.
  • Select Audio.
  • Set Audio mode to Auto.
  • Set HDMI to Dolby D

If your options are different, please post a screenshot so we can help.

Furthermore, from the manual of your HDTV, it does support Dolby Digital (AC3) audio over HDMI.

With surround sound set to “On” under the Tablo settings your Roku is able to playback the recordings if your Roku system audio settings are correct.

I quote from page 19 of your TV manual:

“Supported HDMI Audio format: Dolby Digital, PCM (Up to 192 KHz, 32k/44.1k/48k/88k/96k/176k/
192k, DTS Not supported.)”

Link to manual:

Thank you for the help. I will have to spend some time with your suggestions. I previously deleted the TV shows that said they could not be viewed.

So to confirm the shows did in fact record you just couldn’t play them back on the Roku?