Big disappointment with "14 day guide."

Here is your official response:

1 Like

I came to this thread after looking at another one, that one was regarding extending/changing the recording times of shows after a Live event that runs long. When I was on Sat/Cable I would use the Guide to quickly set the programs after the one I wanted to record as well. Now, If I am setting things for “next weekend” for example, I can’t use the Guide to do that.

I pointed out that there seemingly no references to other threads regarding this problem/request/feature, and you have not offered any either, so it’s possible Tablo isn’t aware of the users who are looking for this, and haven’t offered an explanation regarding it.

I like your challenge to “take it or leave it”, you’re a real pro!

In addition to the use case I noted above, it also seems that there is no option to create a manual recording via the Roku interface. So I would have to access another device (e.g. PC with the proper browser) to try to ensure time-shifted programs are recorded after extended events. Again, if the Guide accommodated all 14 Days this would be much easier to do by simply selecting the Programs after the one I actually intend to record.

Live broadcasts are extended by 50%, so a 3 hour sports event will record for an additional 1.5 hours. Generally captures additional time needed for extended games.

Did you even read the thread I linked? Tablo explained why the grid is 24 hours. Very explicitly.

What if I am not recording the Live event? The time shift impacts shows after the Live event…

I won’t record the Oscars, but the Local news after it will undoubtedly get pushed back. So, I would have to research the 2-3 shows that follow the Local News (Late Night w/ Someone) and then record them to get the news… not a perfect example but enough to get the idea.

Hey, thanks for your input but don’t worry about it, I have a lot of suggestions for improvement, this one just came up at the top of the forums so it was the first I saw, and commented on.

No, I only saw the first response about having had a Free Trial and the option to look for something elsewhere.

Thanks though, I will read through the official announcement.

1 Like

Why would you want to extend a recording by recording the next scheduled program. This splits your recording into two separate recordings. As others have mentioned, there is a setting for extending live programs & it is actually the default.

Even when I had cable & there DVR system didn’t have the setting option of automatically extending live programs but did have the guide that went out 2 weeks, I would never extend my live/game recordings by recording the next scheduled show. It made much more sense to me to go into my scheduled recording & set it to extend the time by 1 hour.

You did say that your Oscars/local news example was not perfect, but it is more accurately completely irrelevant. How would a full 14 day grid guide help in this scenario?

If a show you want to record gets shifted because of something that aired before it ran over, one would have to predict this ahead of time to be prepared for such an occurrence. I guess it is plausible that someone might be meticulous enough & have the foresight to check out the shows that air prior to their desired recordings to ensure their shows won’t get shifted, but I for one have never done this & I have been using DVR’s for over a decade.

If the other views can show you 14 days then the grid should be able to it as well just as easily. The excuse for it only being 24hrs is feeble at best. Its all the same data just presented in different ways.

Love the product as a DVR but its live TV support is wanting. Also its pretty obvious the software is very unstable and newly developed without a lot of rigorous testing and controls around releases. This works fine for the 1st year or 2 at a startup but at some point you have to get more consistent on quality or you start to lose customers.

@t_g_farrell
I try to read this site every day and go to a lot of forums and I have to say the Tablo folks seem to be very engaging and have a sincere quest to make their product better. I have helped a few people here and have been helped immensely just by reading and trying to educate myself.
So press on Tablo techs… I’m very happy :grinning:

2 Likes

Isn’t “live TV” an option for the two week guide? Seems to work for me.
The other way is good too depending on what you want.

Where did you see 14 days guide under “live TV” option?

You’re right.
I’m new to Tablo and have been working with HDHomerun and NextPvr while using Tablo.
guess I got them confused.

Hopefully they can expand the live TV or have a regular guide to go along with what they have now.

They should give away guide for free the way it works and the way that you have change channels. There box it self is expensive and then you pay extra for guide…

You can not buy the guide and use TitanTV if you want to go that route

I’ve commented on this issue before but here goes again. I previously had a Tivo OTA. It provided 14 days of programming in a grid with little to no load times. My Tablo provides only 24 hours and takes multiple seconds to load. Why can’t the tablo store 14 days grid data and load one extra day at a time overnight (or even load one hour at a time during the day)? There are many reasons I prefer the Tablo but the Tivo was much better at loading and displaying the grid and almost instantaneous channel changing.

I understand the frustration with the grid view being limited t 24 hours. Hopefully they can improve this aspect.

The instantaneous channel changing though is because the TiVo records in the native MPEG2 format. There is no re-encoding of the video as the Tablo does to ensure capability with more playback devices - this re-encoding is what creates the delay. This will never be “fixed” as it’s not a bug - it is inherent in its design.

I am a new user but I am getting use to the guide and the grid. It is not perfect but there are some advantages to the guide that I like . I would like the grid to cover 48 hours but I accept the limtations and use the guide to do what I did on the cable grid. I am going out of town and I just pulled up the guide, verified that shows that are important to me, were corectly set up to record, set some new series to record and was able time shift some progams to resolve recording conflicts. I did this faster than I could have done on a traditional cable tv gtid. So times I wish I could see the new stuff 4 weeks out but what is there works, except for an occasional show on a subchannel that gets missed.

It may help to adjust using what is there, rather than trying to make it fit a fixed box. I try to park my car so that I can pull forward to get out of the parking space, even if the space that I choose is a little further out in the lot. It is a lot less stressful than to back out with two cars beside you and one behind you.

Hello, I am also a new user (2 days). I cut the cord to stop making monthly payments so I am considering not subscribing to the “guide”. The only thing I can find about this option is what Tablo says, “Tablo does offer a limited manual recording mode for those that do not wish to subscribe to guide data.” Can anyone tell me what “a limited manual recording mode” means? No one seems to talk about this. I am only trying to keep my costs under control because I am on a fixed income which requires me to do this. Any help? Rake