Big disappointment with "14 day guide."

I have no use for remote viewing. Only one of my shows have moved channels and I had 6 months notice. Sometimes they do not air because of a sports event at which point I just stop it from recording. That is why I wanted a longer grid so I can see if my shows will be on so I don’t get pissed when I sit down that night to watch it LIVE and something else is on instead. Setting recordings with the grid is easier for me too you scroll over to the time and channel and click it and done. That is great you like your categories just wish Tablo would have had a longer grid for people like me who like the grid more.

Oh well I am use to it now so no need for a subscription just for a smarter recorder BUT if they extended the grid to 14 days I would sign up for the monthly fee, you hear me @TabloSupport :wink:

Happy Thanksgiving everyone :slight_smile:

1 Like

Happy Thanksgiving

1 Like

I’m curious Monkey, what lead to you choosing Tablo?

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

So I can watch LIVE tv on those devices like they advertise and it has worked wonderfully for that. Being able to stream to anything with a Chrome browser is awesome. Being able to time shift and record in case I miss it or there are 2 shows on at once is nice too. The Tablo has preformed wonderfully I just wish the Grid went out further that is all and it is defiantly not the end of the world that it does not.

My wife and I would prefer the grid to be at least 48 hours because we check what’s on now and tomorrow.

Happy Thanksgiving

1 Like

I purchased a 4-Tuner Tablo for my parents last year for Christmas. Both are in their 80’s and sometimes technology can be a challenge. But Dad has done well with the Tablo after a bit of a learning curve.

This morning I called him to let him know I saw a commercial on GetTV for a Perry Como Christmas show that he should record. Well, Dad is a grid guy, and about an hour later he calls back to say his guide only lets him go 24 hours out, and how can he set it to record? I walk him through the menu to TV Shows–Channels and have him scroll down to the local GetTV affiliate. Not only was he able to find several Perry Como Christmas specials, but Bing Crosby, Johnny Cash and Andy Williams specials as well.

So at least in this case, the disappointment of not being able to scroll through 14 days on a grid was replaced by the elation of finding everything and more on one screen.

9 Likes

My bet he is hooked on the TV Show guide now. GREAT Story!

1 Like

The grid was the only way I could record a show on the late and not lamented satellite dvr and it was just plain horrible. Their last update squashed the grid guide to half the screen so the right half of the screen was used for adverts. Chuffed to bits to be rid of that abomination.

I agree with you. The icon view is horridly slow and I could care less about 99% of the shows. I can scan the grid style quickly while the pictures take minutes to catch up and assume I know what the show is.

1 Like

I too prefer a grid guide. Have the icon guide as an option, but I like a grid, and I like to page forward a day at a time to look at prime time each day of the week to see what is on.

As for speed, this is one of my biggest complaints against Tablo. I am used to satelite, cable and other services where you sit down, turn it on and the guide is ready to go in an instant. Not having to wait minutes for it to download to the Roku.

Channel switch is also a problem, you should be able to get to a channel and play within a second. You should be able to toggle between and instantly be playing, especially if the Tablo has multiple tuners. Picture in picture with a swap is also useful. Yes, I’m used to this with my old setup.

There is no reason it takes so long on a local network, I can switch channels live over the internet for BBC channels in under a second, no reason a local antenna shouldn’t be even faster.

1 Like

If you’re using Apple TV 4, you’re out of luck. It only has the Live TV grid guide and doesn’t have option of choosing the “Prime Time”, “Movies”, etc. icon guides, so you don’t have any access to the so called “14 day guide”.

When I had Dish, and I was searching for movies to record on their DVR, I would have paid extra to have the movies listed like they are in Chrome on a PC. It was very cumbersome to scroll though a couple of lines of channels out 2 weeks, and then to do it again for a few more channels, and then yet again, for a few more. Now if we could only get those same features on the Roku app. Well at least I am not paying for Dish anymore.

1 Like

Is it possible for the Tablo team to provide a reason why those of us that paid for the 14 day program guide only see it within the mobile app (i.e. iOS) and not within the Apple TV app (tvOS), etc? If you can provide the guide in one app then it’s reasonable for customers and potential customers to have a unified 14 day TV guide in both.

The Tablo folks have said, on multiple occasions, that they’re adding features to the AppleTV app slowly over time, but that it will eventually be feature complete with respect to the other apps.

1 Like

I like the grid view but dislike the 24-hour only nature of it. My life schedule disallows me from watching some sports games live, so I like to set them to record in advance.

The issue is that many games (even if not in overtime) go beyond what the schedule says. When using the thumbnail view, it’s literally impossible to figure out what program comes on next so that it can be set to record as well. If I forget to check the grid view less than 24 hours of when the game might end, it doesn’t get recorded and I miss it!

True, I can just set a manually recording on channel x for n hours… But would be really nice to just see the grid and hit record on the next scheduled program more than 24 hours in advance.

2 Likes

Great use case for feature request.

Just in case you are not aware, there is a setting to allow live programming like sports to record for an extended period of time to account for this. I think that it add half the time of the original schedule - so if your game is scheduled to last 3 hours, it will record for 4.5 hours.

You can find it in Settings under SMART SCHEDULING - check “Extend Live Recordings.” I think it is checked by default, but I could be mistaken.

However, if there are no available tuners, then the recording will end at the scheduled time (but in this case, you wouldn’t be able to record the next scheduled show either).

This is correct. Mine was checked by default I believe.

I agree that offering a “14 Day Guide” but then not including it in the ordinary and expected Grid View is deceiving and disappointing. I have not seen TaboTV comment on this thread, I would imagine this issue has been raised and possibly addressed previously. No one offered a link to a previous report of the issue or a feature request.
For those that say “Use TV Guide” I ask “Why?” I am paying for a Guide built in to the TV (Tablo).
To those that say “I learned to do it differently and now I like the other way much better” I say “Okay, that works for you, but I am paying for a 14 Day Guide Subscription and there are use cases where I want to use that Guide in the Grid View.” Nowhere does Tablo say “only 24 hours are available in Grid View”, when you are purchasing your subscription.
Personally, I think the Grid Guide loads very slowly and I suspect that is the reason they don’t extend it. I would like some feedback from TabloTV about this question/issue/request though!

1 Like

You had 30 days of free trial subscription to figure this out.

You can always choose not to pay for the 14 day subscription if it’s not to your liking. There are also other options out there now, so you could return the Tablo assuming you’re still within the 30 day refund timeframe.

1 Like