Best OTA DVR for Cord Cutters

Way to keep providing a quality product Nuvyyo!

Keep it up!

Best for tweakers.
Nice.
I’m a tweaker.

If you read the reviews they selected the Tivo as the best HDMI connected DVR. There was no mention of the Tablo HDMI DVR. I’m wondering if they even know about it.

From their review

The Bottom Line

The Nuvyyo Tablo Quad offers excellent performance for power users, but there are cheaper, easier-to-use options for budding cord-cutters.

If TiVo worked with streaming devices instead of their “mini” devices (they were $179-$199 for each TV at the time), I might still be using it. I have many TVs throughout the house, and it was too expensive to add a mini (that basically only played live TV, DVR and a couple of apps). And their “lifetime subscription” was $599 at the time as well.

With the deals they have now, if you only have one TV in your home, it isn’t a bad deal, but the deal breaker comes in with each TV you add into the mix.

As OTA DVRs aren’t really 1:1 on feature - Wouldn’t “the best” be whichever best fit you needs (/wants)?

1 Like

This is total junk!!! The best dvr no way I have had nothing but issues its crap

I don’t have a 4th gen, but zero problems on OG… watching the playoffs… Roku, web, wherever.

But of course “OG” === “trash” (sad). Remembering all the problems with the OG though. Hoping this new company can make something out of their radically different DVR.

I mean, there were certainly a lot of complaints with the old Tablo company and it’s first DVR release… but I don’t remember comments being quite “this” back then. Patience needed?

The box cost over twice as much and the guide service wasn’t free. So early adopters were more experienced.

While “true”, again, that was “then”… so what the “OG” could cost today, with guide, could be very different. But, here we are.

Some of the chips may not be made anymore. the CPU would be considered under powered by todays standard. they switched tuner vendors. That caused a switch in the software stack vendor and that is who really does much of the DVR work. These changes spread into the apps.

So life starts over until the kinks are worked out.

Pretty sure 'they are made", but maybe different, and likely better. Anyhow, doesn’t matter, they killed “the old”… we’re onto “the new”. No choice but to wait and see what happens. That is, if you stay with the product…

Part of me wants them to add features that would make the product interesting to me… but I think it’s unlikely. So, off to Plex DVR for me. But I will keep my eye on the company. If they loosen up a bit, I may get into it and write software for it, etc. But that door is closed tight today.

You can’t build the old with no chips and software stack. maxlinear has moved tuners to the legacy list. Pixelworks only makes newer more expensive CPU’s.