Be more tolerant of decoding errors

I was watching a 90 minute episode of The Amazing Race the other day. Somewhere near the start of the program the signal was bad and the FireTV Tablo app stopped and complained about a decoding error. I wanted to just skip ahead a little bit to get past the bad part of the recording but the playback would keep stopping as soon as I restarted it with the decoding error. It took me a dozen times to quickly try to get to the scrub bar to move ahead of the bad section of the recording.

My request, please don’t treat all decoding errors as fatal and stop playback. Perhaps add an overlay that warns the recording is corrupt at this point and provide the scrub bar so we can fast forward to a better section of the recording. Better yet, detect how long the corrupt section is and skip ahead automatically with a message like, “Skipping ahead 30 seconds due to bad reception.” When playback is stopped, resuming an episode needs to start at a different point from the corruption. Give us immediate control so we can fast forward or rewind to a good section.

4 Likes

I know it’s not the solution you’re after, but if you can remember how far into the program the error was… going back out of it, marking as watched, then remarking as unwatched, you’ll go back to the beginning of the recording. From there you can skip ahead of that .5 sec of failed video decoding. It’s the easiest way I’ve found to get around this when it happens. I hope what I’ve said makes sense!

But back to what you’ve asked for: YES. We need it to be more tolerant. My $30 PVR will just scramble for a sec until it hits a good spot. And it’s also raw mpeg2.

2 Likes

Another vote for addressing this. It happens while watching live tv, as well. Not often, but it’s annoying when it does. None of my 4 TVs stop when they encounter a random error, and wait for me to acknowledge an error to continue. The Recast doesn’t, either. Just soldier on! Log it in an error file or whatever, but keep going! Every device I have can lose signal completely, even for an extended period, and then resume when the signal comes back with zero intervention from me.

2 Likes

Agree on this request. With the OG Tablo units, if the reception/signal situation got bad enough it used to reboot the entire unit (haven’t had any major reception issues recently so don’t know if it’s still the case on current firmware) which of course interrupts any other in progress recordings.

2 Likes

I also agree on this feature request. Errors are expected in OTA. Tolerate bad windows and recover automatically as a typical TV does.

2 Likes

It’s not helpful that the “try again” or whatever popup just starts from the exact second of corruption. Yeah, we get it – there’s an error RIGHT THERE… but my only option is to surpass it by 10 seconds!

2 Likes