Be able to change record format for different types of shows

I have various types of shows I watch, from game shows to dramas.

I would like to set the game shows to record in SD, and 720p for the dramas or movies. This would save space, plus I think it would make commercial-skipping faster on the game shows.

@AndreTheGeek - This would require some significant UI and coding changes. If there are more users who would be interested in this, we may consider it but there are other requests that are more popular at this time.

I once asked for this and I still would like it.  It makes all the sense in the world to me.  I really don’t need HD for SitComs,

or most other weekly shows, but Sports, Nature, Nova, and the like surely benefits from 720p.  I’m sure others draw
the line(s) elsewhere, but I have to believe this would be a popular feature if everyone thought about it for a bit.

I would never ever consider recording in SD.  It isn’t that hard to manage recordings so that a user always has plenty of disk space.  

This is also not a standard DVR feature.

I’d like to see a feature similar to this where you can just set the Tablo to record the show in whatever format the original broadcast is in. 

FYI, 720p channels get recorded in 720p no matter what.  The 720p/1080p setting only affects 1080i shows, according to Tablo support.

Interesting.  That’s the first I’ve heard that.  Currently set to 720p, but I might bump that up.  @TabloSupport…can you confirm that’s how it works?

@Wiz1999 pretty sure you can take @snowcat at his word. He is right 99.99999% of the time :wink:

Sorry @snowcat, I had to hold back on the .000001 % :stuck_out_tongue:

:)  I’ve gathered that from most of the posts I’ve read.  Seems like a trustworthy source.

There’s a reason why this gif exists.

I would never ever consider recording in SD.  It isn't that hard to manage recordings so that a user always has plenty of disk space.  

This is also not a standard DVR feature.

Agreed.  Adding another option to the DVR record option doesn’t seem like much to us, but Tablo says it would be ‘significant’.  Guess I feel like they should spend time on things that are more important.  Like being able to plug in a second drive.