Bad Power Supply / AC Adapter

My very old Tablo 2-tuner adapter seems ok for now. Just curious, would be nice to know if people with bad adapters were protected by a UPS or not. Power sags can be really evil.

Just wanted to provide another option for a Tablo power supply. If you visit your local thrift store (Salvation Army, St. Vincent DePaul, etc.) you will likely find a bin of miscellaneous AC adapters. Look for one with a 12volt output and 1.5 amps or so. These usually have the right size barrel to fit the Tablo. Most of the time these adapters are $.50 or so. Even if you don’t trust it for the long term , at least you would have power (or be able to test for a bad power supply) until you can get an “official” replacement. It is definitely worth a try.

What type of barrel is required? What external and internal barrel size is required? And I don’t think 1.5 amps is correct.

The barrel size is 5.5 by 2.1 or 2.5 mm, and my Table 2-tuner original adapter is only 1.0 amp and works fine.

I think you will find that tablo should be 2 amp. 1 amp is probably below the voltage power required to power a USB 2.0 device.

But you can search the forum and find info on power supplies.

I understand what you are saying. I have 2 of the 2-tuner Table units. Both have the original power supplies made by Adapter Tech. Interestingly enough, one has a 2 amp power supply, the other has a 1 amp power supply, but both have worked flawlessly for a couple of years or more. I do have a small USB cooling fan that blows on both units continuously, maybe that helps.

I also want to mention that the replacement power supply sold by Amazon specifically to replace the original, made by T-power, is 1.0 amp also.

I didn’t know that Nuvyyo had an approved power supply that you could buy on Amazon.

Makes you kind of wonder why Nuvyyo got into the business of selling a replacement power supply and isn’t it 2 amp.

Have a link to the “approved” Amazon one? Would like to put it on my wish list for future reference. Thanks!

The approved versions are sold via our website: https://www.tablotv.com/store/

Details:

That just answered my question. :slight_smile:

I was thinking the only approved version was from Tablo directly.

so what is the power rating for the power supply directly from Tablo?

Since I bought one from Nuvyyo, as a backup, when they were first announced, I would say the plug is labeled as: output 12V 2A.

Damn, you triggered my impluse buy mode, and now a spare power adapter is on its way.
Ugh.

Do not post any puppy pictures, please!

WARNING Not compatible with AIBO

1 Like

No UPS on my system. No telling why it failed.

I have multiple units with the original power supplies from the 2014 time frame.

But I purposely purchased 2 tuner models two keep the heat down and the unit more stable. But I’ve always been concerned about the plug being slammed into a power strip close to a bunch of other plugs (warts) that are possible running hotter then you might think.

@TabloEngineering’s got a mighty cute new pup. I’m sure he’d oblige you with a pic if you ask nicely :wink:

I know that was really a request… glad to oblige!

This is Ruby, 5 month old yellow lab. She is a food processing machine!

2 Likes

I wonder if the 1A power adapter is the one that eventually dies requiring a replacement.
Something for @TabloTV to investigate.

Interesting.
I can confirm the Adapter Tech replacement power adapter purchased directly from Tablo outputs 12V at 2A.