ATSC 3.0 Live Updates

Antenna Man on YouTube was able to experience a live test of the new ATSC 3.0 standards. This is the first of series of videos he plans about the standard:

ATSC 3.0 NextGen TV Info and Tuner Demo Test in Baltimore

2 Likes

Yea. I watch his channel and saw the video… it is looking good. I hope it turns out as good as it seems now.

1 Like

Antenna Man on YouTube has posted a new video:

ATSC 3.0 Details Pt. 1 - How’s The Reception? Do I Need a New TV?

1 Like

I live in Baltimore. I wonder how I watch the channel.

Never mind watching the video.

Antenna Man shows real ATSC 3.0 broadcast, not a test, from Las Vegas NV.

• Sinclair Broadcast Group and ONE Media will enable live NEXTGEN TV demonstrations across the CES show floor with signals from KSNV-TV, the Sinclair NBC Las Vegas station which has switched its back-up transmission to ATSC 3.0. Using an LG OLED TV, Sinclair and ONE Media are demonstrating the first home over-the-air (OTA) and over-the-top (OTT) converged application to make switching effortless between broadcast and broadband-delivered channels. The live NEXTGEN TV broadcast will also provide live signals for other CES demonstrations.

VIDEO: ATSC 3.0 NextGen TV at CES - TVs, Set Top Boxes, and Dongles

1 Like

ATSC 3.0 NextGen TV Presentation at CES 2020

1 Like

They have a test station where I live. It is a shame the tuners are still so expensive.

ATSC 3.0: How cord-cutters should plan for antenna TV’s big upgrade

"But ATSC 3.0 comes with one big caveat as well: While the new standard will work with any antenna, it’s incompatible with the ATSC 1.0 tuners built into today’s TVs, converter boxes, and DVRs. To take advantage of Next Gen TV, cord-cutters will need new hardware.

All of which has made me wonder at what point it no longer makes sense to invest in the current generation of antenna TV. With ATSC 3.0 set to roll out in the top 40 U.S. markets this year, and with some TV makers starting to build ATSC 3.0 tuners into their 2020 sets, has the time come to hold off on buying TVs or over-the-air DVRs that only support ATSC 1.0?

The answer, as of early 2020, is “probably not yet.”"

COMING SOON TO A TV STATION NEAR YOU: TOP 40 TV MARKETS LAUNCHING ATSC 3.0

Top 40 Markets where the first transitioning stations have been identified (ranked by population) include:

• Dallas-Ft. Worth, Texas
  • Houston, Texas
  • San Francisco-Oakland-San Jose, Calif.
  • Phoenix, Ariz.
  • Seattle-Tacoma, Wash.
  • Detroit, Mich.
  • Orlando-Daytona Beach-Melbourne, Fla.
  • Portland, Ore.
  • Pittsburgh, Penn.
  • Raleigh-Durham, N.C.
  • Baltimore, Maryland
  • Nashville, Tenn.
  • Salt Lake City, Utah
  • San Antonio, Texas
  • Kansas City, Mo,
  • Columbus, Ohio
  • West Palm Beach-Ft. Pierce, Fla.
  • Las Vegas, Nev.
  • Austin, Texas
1 Like

ATSC 3.0 Details Pt. 2 - How Many Channels? When Will 1.0 Shut Down? Internet Connection Required?

1 Like

“Top 40” list only has 19 markets. :smiley:

1 Like

It is obvious that only 19 out of 40 in the top 40 are getting early implementation…

Man his head is FLAT on top! Is that from banging his head against the wall??

And that voice…flat too!

Per Tablo:

"Our hardware team is currently evaluating tuner hardware and related software stacks that could enable future Tablo OTA DVR products to support both ATSC 1.0 and 3.0 standards simultaneously.

By adding a single ATSC 3.0-capable networked tuner and DVR combo, consumers could avoid purchasing multiple converter boxes or all new televisions and easily maintain access to their favorite local broadcast channels throughout the transition.

That being said, we have no specific launch date in mind yet for an ATSC 3.0-capable Tablo OTA DVR."

ATSC 3.0 is getting a smidge closer to reality

1 Like