ATSC 3.0 Approved by FCC - What You Need to Know

Hi folks -

You may have heard the news that the FCC has approved the voluntary rollout of ATSC 3.0 otherwise known as Next Gen TV.

While this paves the way for local broadcasters to begin work on delivering broadcast signals via ATSC 3.0, stations are required to continue broadcasts in today’s ATSC 1.0 signals for at least 5 years after they make the switch.

**If you have questions about what this means for you, and your Tablo check out:**

What Cord Cutters Need to Know About ATSC 3.0 - Part 1
https://www.tablotv.com/blog/what-cord-cutters-need-know-about-atsc-3/

What Cord Cutters Need to Know About ATSC 3.0 - Part 2
https://www.tablotv.com/blog/what-cord-cutters-need-know-about-atsc-3-part-2/

2 Likes

OK, ATSC 1.0 vs ATSC 3.0. Is this the same as IPV4 vs IPv6? :wink: did that middle release just wither away?

1 Like

Who knows how one gets to participate but it appears the Pearl TV group wants a test market before 2019. And I thought those stations classified as Low power broadcasters don’t have the 5 years rule.

“Broadcasters will have a chance to make a case for flash-cutting to ATSC
3.0 rather than simulcasting, and Low Power TV’s will be allowed to
flash cut without simulcasting.”

Ten TV stations in the Phoenix market will participate in deploying
the model market, which will launch soon and involve independent
broadcasters as well as those owned by or affiliated with the major
networks.

Stations and companies participating in the “model market”
ATSC 3.0 launch include:

W. Scripps Company’s KNXV Channel 15 (ABC);

Fox Television Stations’ KSAZ Channel 10 (FOX) and KUTP Channel 26 (MyTV Network);

Meredith Local Media Group’s KPHO Channel 17 (CBS) and KTVK Channel 24 (Independent);

Nexstar Media Group’s KASW Channel 49 (CW Network);

Telemundo Station Group’s KTAZ Channel 39 (Telemundo);

Tegna’s KPNX Channel 12 (NBC);

Univision’s KFPH-CD Channel 35 (UniMas) and KTVW-DT Channel 33 (Univision).

Well, I am in Tempe, 8 miles from these antennas. Should be interesting - and fun?

Sinclair broadcasting is also very interested in being the first to roll out ATSC 3.0. But since ATSC 1.0 and ATSC 3.0 transmission can’t share the same frequency various ATSC 1.0 channels need to merge onto the same frequency so the a frequency is freed up for multiple ATSC 3.0 broadcasts.

All of those business relationships need to be worked out. And some might be waiting for the repack to be complete before tackling ATSC 3.0. But I think Pearl TV picked Phoenix not only because of it’s size but also because 3 of the 4 channels to repack are in phase 1.

But not to worry South Korea already supports ATSC 3.0 and plans on broadcasting the Winter Olympics locally in ATSC 3.0. So if you go to the Winter Olympics you might be able to see ATSC 3.0. And I thought I read that they offered to provide the ATSC 3.0 feed to the U.S.

1 Like

I think i will pass on going to Korea - they may have a bigger fireworks program than I want to see:grinning:

3 Likes

@sodaman_2000
@zippy

I am 1.5 miles from Cardinals
Stadium

Good to see local
Folks here

18 miles from
Towers

I hope the rollout goes well

We covered that in part 1: https://www.tablotv.com/blog/what-cord-cutters-need-know-about-atsc-3/#atsc2

Technically IPv5 did exist it just isn’t called IPv5. It is just a modified IPv4 packet this is why the 5 was “skipped”.

Just out of curiosity and maybe someone here knows. I tried to search for the relationship between Net Neutrality and ATSC 3.0. Net Neutrality is a hot button item and the FCC’s decision to roll it back comes close to the ATSC 3.0 discussion. Albeit Net Neutrality addresses how ISPs handled their service and ATSC 3.0 deals more with broadcast stations. But if ATSC 3.0 is IP based then what relationship does it have with ISPs if any at all and could the push for ATSC 3.0 have any influence on the FCC’s decision to roll back Net Neutrality?

You should be more worried about the “no local station” issues.

1 Like

First of all that article is pure speculation. Second doing something like this is counter productive to ATSC 3.0. I cannot stand fear based articles that lack any facts or substance. Give me something that actually holds up instead of what if scenarios.

I’ve removed my original quote so as to not congest an informative topic. I will not continue this discussion if it does not contain any facts and leads no where. I still digress to my original topic of what is the relationship between ISPs and broadcaster now that the ATSC 3.0 is adopting IP standards and does that have any influence on the Net Neutrality decision.

Was not your previous question here a “what if” question?

No it was not it never was. I am actually looking for someone who may have any information at all on the relationship between ATSC 3.0 and Net Neutrality. I am a network engineer and my question is purely for informative purposes. I want to know how the deployment of ATSC 3.0’s will be and will it be utilizing ISP broadband services or will this IP standard be broadcasting along the OTA carrier wave which will require an entirely different modem. If so what relationship will that IP service have with the IP service provided over the internet?

Here is a good article on the current state of ATSC 3.0 for your reading entertainment!

1 Like

Even the folks who have a vested interest in making this happen sooner rather than later are saying it’s going to be a while…

1 Like

Or an alternated view of the universe.

“National public broadcasters like PBS have asked to be exempted from the simulcast requirement, as it would unduly burden the broadcasters financially.”

The nocable article declares 100% rolled out in three years - but provides no information as to how they arrived at that conclusion…

“100% Rolled out in Three Years
Unlike the very carefully planned rollout of DTV in 2009, there is no definite timetable for Next Gen TV. The move to the new standard is voluntary for broadcasters, but the potential for broadcasters to make money by targeting advertising or selling pay features should hasten the transition.”

It depends how you define rollout. Unlike ATSC 1.0 the FCC is not mandating a date for all broadcasters to turn on ATSC 3.0.

The Spectrum Consortium composed of Sinclair, Nextstar, and Univision control a large number of OTA stations in almost all the major markets. And they want ATSC 3.0 ASAP.

They are already “testing” ATSC in a number of markets, Phoenix, Dallas, etc. Would this constitute rollout and start the simulcast clock running.

LG and Samsung already produce all the tuners, television, and set top boxes.

Any station can petition to not simulcast ATSC 1.0. If you own a station in a small market with no one to share a frequency with you either switch with the big boys with no simulcast or die.

There is a PBS group formed to address ATSC 3.0. If they succeed in getting approval for no simulcast things could move quickly.