Apple TV to be or not to be

I agree, the Nvidia Shield looks like a great device and performance from what I’ve seen and heard is amazing. I’ll give it two detriments IMO, one it will most likely not get an amazon app, two the remote is not as intuitive compared to Apple’s. Otherwise, a great device.

We will see. People also said that Amazon Instant Video would never come to Android, and it did. Amazon Instant Video is also on at least 2 other Android TV manufacturers units. Regardless, no one knows either way, and if it’s a top priority I certainly wouldn’t buy a Shield OR an Apple TV based on rumors.

It’s funny you bring this up, because I consider the Apple TV remote one of its relative weaknesses compared to Roku, Android TV, and FireTV. Based on the time I have used one, it’s extremely hard to precisely move to a certain selection because the trackpad is so touchy. I also had no idea what the menu and tv button even meant. Is the TV button to go home? Is the menu button a back button? Those were my guesses based on no guidance from anyone, but I had to play around with it to try to figure it out. Also, I think the Apple TV is the first remote in history that you have to buy a case for.

Since you brought it up, I will also bring up a few weaknesses I noticed when using Apple TV

• No 4k support. Everyone will be dropping another $150 next year when they roll out the updated version.
  • Airplay is a weaker version of Google Cast
  • Slower performance compared to Shield
  • No Ultraviolet movie app
  • Relatively weaker voice search

Things I liked on the Apple TV:

• For people without Harmony remotes, it’s nice you can easily control TV and volume.
  • Well designed, modern home page
  • Decent selection of apps and games at launch
  • 2nd fastest streaming device I have used

I love new gadgets, so I enjoyed using an Apple TV, but I personally wouldn’t buy one in its current state.

That being said, @a9erfan let us know what you think of the new AppleTV, that’s awesome you found something that will work well for you.

1 Like

Nice.This is community forum interaction at it’s best. People helping people solve “issues”. Hoorah!

1 Like

4K support doesn’t bother me. Not only do I not have a 4K TV, nothing that the Tablo records from broadcasts in 4K. In addition, there is not (currently) a lot of 4K programing on any of the streaming sites. Maybe this will be an issue for me down the road, but not for the next few years. 1080p is pretty darn good.

There is always a better device coming down the road. Someone will get my money one way or the other, but I would prefer that all of the features I need are available. I love the ATV4 remote, but I worry that it is too fragile and like anything it could always be better. I am afraid to let my kids touch it.

However, the lack of an Ultraviolet app does bother me. I have a lot of shows on Vudu and it certainly seems as though Vudu does not want to move beyond TVs and the Roku for their customers.

What app is there for ultraviolet movies on the Nvidia Shield? Is there an Amazon app for prime on the shield? I fear I will have to stop purchasing content from Vudu and start purchasing from Amazon. That would give me 3 different libraries, which I hate.

What I would really like is one streaming device to rule them all. Unfortunately, all of them seem to be missing some element.

I use Cinemanow for my UV library, which has a native app for Android TV. However, you can use Google Cast for VUDU and Flixter with Android TV as well. VUDU has also been announced for Android TV, and should be coming relatively soon. I have a few hundred movies in my UV library, so a UV app is usually the first thing I look for in a streaming device.

No Amazon Prime app on the Shield. I have access to Amazon on my smart TV and Xbox One which is hooked up to my receiver, but I only use Amazon about once every other month, if that. I’m not really a fan of their service personally, other than the free shipping.

No doubt. NP is the most cluck for your buck.

I have 2 Apple TV 4. I have had them since they were released in November.

The 2 apps I really want are Tablo and Amazon Video. AirPlay for Tablo works pretty well, but too complicated for my wife and kids. I really need the native Tablo app before I can cut cord.

I really like the Siri remote. It takes a little while to get use to it, but once you do it is great. To skip past commercials, I just use my voice “skip ahead 2 minutes”. It jumps ahead almost instantly. So much better than FF with the cable box DVR I plan on returning.

I have been shopping for a remote case too. I suspect there will be a bunch to choose from early next year. The griffin looks nice, but $20 with another $4 to ship seems like they are just taking advantage of being first. Amazon has one by Sikai for $12, but very little feedback yet on it.

I also am waiting to pull the plug on DirecTV until the Tablo app appears for Apple TV 4. I have the same family dynamic - “happy wife, happy life…”

I ordered the Griffin Siri remote case, and hoping for the best. Without it, the remote is too small & slippery, and it’s difficult to quickly know which end is up. I can’t count how many times I’ve grabbed it upside down. The Griffin case is asymmetrical, so it’s obvious where the track pad is.

The cheap eBay cases don’t appear to have an opening for the Lightning connector port, nor does the design look as refined as the Griffin.

I will say, not being able to use Voice search with in an app like Youtube is not going so well right now. On the Nexus player it was easy and straightforward. I’m praying that Apple releases the Siri API soon so that searching within the youtube app is easier.

I know the remote app is available but I’m the only one with an iPhone. Siri search and the Tablo App are the two missing ingredients.

I agree that not having Siri voice search across ALL Apple TV 4 apps is a shortcoming. There are rumors the situation will improve, and in the meantime I’ve essentially abandoned Siri (also due in part to the physical shortcomings of the remote itself.)

However, I’ll still move forward with cord-cutting once the ATV Tablo app appears, and deal with a tone-deaf Siri in the meantime.

omg yes I can’t count the number of times I try to use the trackpad to find out I’m holding the remote bottom up.

Have you guys had any success activating a secondary remote? I use an old remote that my toddler likes to throw around, except it doesnt play too nice with Tablo via Airplay, it does work nicely with Netflix tho.

Just the remote app on my iphone.

The voice search is certainly limited by the API right now, but apps can still use voice to control the position/scrub of the video. Table confirmed they intend to support this aspect in their upcoming native app.

I am surprised the lack of 4K on the apple TV is a concern for some people. I think it is going to be several years before 4K is wide spread. I realize the most new TVs have it now, but the studios are not yet producing the content. Apple will likely release a 4k apple tv in a couple of years. You can always put your old apple tv on second (third) tv in the house. Most people will not have multiple 4k TVs for a while.

Except here on these forums where everyone will have 22 4K TV’s, 18.4 surround and holographic laser storage for media :smile:

1 Like

I’ve done extensive secondary remote pairing and programming. It worked great with several of my universal remotes. I’m checking out the DirecTV remote (which I really like) as a secondary, but having some issues since it’s not totally “universal.”

I wish you would get your facts right! Everyone will NOT have 22 4K TV’s. They will have exactly 21 4K TV’s. IF IT WASN’T FOR THE TABLO PR MACHINE, PEOPLE WOULD GET THEIR FACTS STRAIGHT. But no, Tablo has been lying to us for the past year and that has worn down our instinct for the truth! They dissimulate, we misrepresent. This wouldn’t happen had Tablo told us the TRUTH from the start!!! It’s NOT just a case of innocent error!

1 Like

I just want one lg oled one.

Sounds like they need better management. Maybe they should hire a bunch of new people, restructure their entire production and development plan and [insert 10,000 words elaborating on the this].

2 Likes

We use old DirecTV RC64 remotes with our AppleTV 3rd generation boxes since you can program the ATV to recognize the command string from the DTV remote. Been doing that for over a year and it works flawlessly. You can program 30 second skip ahead, 20 second skip behind, and chapter skip which is nice for traversing a program quickly. The Directv remote may not be completely universal but it is light years ahead of the ATV remote. The 4th gen ATV remote may be better but I don’t plan to upgrade our ATV’s anytime soon.