Apple TV + Tablo = black screen + spinning circle + anger

I don’t know when this started… a couple of weeks ago at least. But sometimes when playing back a recording, the screen just goes black and I get a spinning circle on the timebar at the bottom of the screen. I back out of the playback and retry playing and skip forward a bit and it seems to recover. But it’s really hit-or-miss and super annoying.

Likewise, during live viewing, occasionally the screen will just go black suddenly and again with the loading circle. Again, backing out and restarting the viewing seems to fix it, but again, it’s really annoying.

I’ve power cycled everything. I don’t think it’s a reception issue? Bad reception normally just results in a garbled picture temporarily, not the whole system losing it’s damn mind.

Any ideas? Thanks!

EDIT: Adding that this is a wired connection. Not wifi.

EDIT 2:
I disconnected my external hard drive from the Tablo and connected it to my Windows 10 PC.

In “Disk Management” I was able to find the drive (unlabeled) and delete the partition. This is very dangerous if you accidentally choose the wrong hard drive. Be careful.

I reconnected the hard drive to the Tablo and rebooted the world. Since then I was able to watch live TV and watch a full 30 minute recording without any black screens. This isn’t FULL confirmation that the problem is solved, but I’m hopeful.

EDIT2:
Just following up on this…

Reformatting the hard drive APPEARS to have fixed my issue. If I don’t post again to this thread, that will be confirmation.

What you are experiencing is the same issues I have been having with Tablo and Roku. There are many reports on this site concerning this problem, but almost all are concerned with the recordings when the screen goes black and the little spinning circle. You are one of few that, like me, indicates you are having the same issue with live TV also.

I am having the same problem with Tablo and a Roku Premiere unit on live TV. Have rescanned channels and restarted both units without success.

Sounds to me like a WiFi interference issue. If the issue started recently it could be a new appliance you have or maybe a neighbor has. I have seen my microwave cause interference.

Have done the same without any success! Sure hope the Tablo tech’s are monitoring the forum to avoid us having to get a ticket on the problem.

Thanks. I edited my original post to clarify that this is a wired connection, not wifi.

Just to let you know that the problem became present about two weeks ago, but it was only noticeable on recordings. Until last Thursday (May 19th), I was connected to a Cox gateway. Didn’t see it appear on live TV until the end of last week.

Earlier this morning I switched from wireless to ethernet connection to the T-Mobile gateway with no changes. The black screen still exist. We currently have a trial with U-Tube TV so we are watching/recording our shows on U-Tube TV because of the black screen issues.

I disconnected my external hard drive from the Tablo and connected it to my Windows 10 PC.

In “Disk Management” I was able to find the drive (unlabeled) and delete the partition. This is very dangerous if you accidentally choose the wrong hard drive. Be careful.

I reconnected the hard drive to the Tablo and rebooted the world. Since then I was able to watch live TV and watch a full 30 minute recording without any black screens. This isn’t FULL confirmation that the problem is solved, but I’m hopeful.

Just following up on this…

Reformatting the hard drive APPEARS to have fixed my issue. If I don’t post again to this thread, that will be confirmation.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.