API/interface to pull recorded show listings, metadata, and files off of the Tablo

@pngwolfman, make sure you are downloading python 2.7 and not version 3.

Ideally a correct installation of Python 2.7 should have no problem finding standard modules like urllib2.

Something does appear to be wrong with your python install (that’s my best guess).

@BoomerTheWeim

I turned off mp4 and mp4tag.  I’m still having issues in mcebuddy.  A movie is recognized as a show and shows obtain bogus seasons and episodes.  it’s fouling up metadata in properties, filenames, and directories so I have to go back and correct.  Not sure where to go from here. 

@dean5417
Make sure you have Rename and Sort by video information checked and Enable custom file renaming.  Here is what I have for custom renaming
%ShowName%\Season %season%##\%ShowName% - S%season%##E%episode%## - %episodename%

Thanks.  I have those checked and something similar for the custom renaming.  Update: got it working now with .Mp4 and mp4tag false which fixed the season/episode # issue. To fix the issue where it wouldnt recognize the file as a movie, I split movies apart from TV into different directories pre-Mcebuddy then have separate monitors looking at each.

FWIW, I found the watercolor bleeding effect with low lighting conditions in the background to be unrelated to tablo2go or mcebuddy operations because I can see the problem on my TV when playing it directly from the Tablo.  The original broadcast was 720p, strong signal.  I’ve only have this one recording as a case example.  I’m speculating that the problem is either my player (plex home theater), something to do with how Tablo recorded it, or with my HDTV (Vizio VF552XVT).  Hopefully, its just a settings issue.  Just wanted to update that it wasn’t related to TS vs. MP4.  I’ll have to do some additional troubleshooting.  I’m working with a lot of new stuff since purchasing the Tablo so I’m still learning what to question.
Excellent!  My goal is just a bit different though; to be able to copy from the tablo specific and new tv shows and store them for much longer term on my plex server, which has an absurd about of storage space.  This way the plex server itself has the shows integrated so I can watch two year old episodes of shows like Big Bang Theory (I just finished the last season during the most recent rainy day.)

I’m with you 100% on this. I want to save TV series to watch later. My collection currently spans over 3 3TB WD drives. This is something Tablo can’t do. I have a Plex server whic works great with my LG smart TV.

CCR

Thanks to all, I hope to work through the step by step today.  You may not consider it as patching up a Tablo miss, but I just want to get all shows off so that I can swap to a 2TB drive and stop manually deleting news shows, etc, every third day, because there is no way to limit the number of recordings or easily delete many at once.

Followed the step by step, works fine, but the last step returned “No videos have been queued.”  So no MP4 file returned.  It found my tablo, 39 video’s metadata, just did not return the video itself.  I am under Windows7-64.

Well this is odd: I made a VBScript to get file name and then launch the command line, but it was messed up and did not pass in the file name.  But the program ran!  It returned one of the files on Tablo, but it is a .TS file, not MP4.  I’m pretty ignorant re: video file formats, etc.  Is there another step or converter I need?

BTW: my first issue ( No videos have been queued ) seems to be because the file name is case sensitive.  Now all I gotta do is figure out the TS vs MP4 thing.

Even more odd: I was premature to say it ran when using the correct case for file name.  Got error messages; however it did in fact produce the TS file.  Found a free converter, converting to MKV now.  I only have 22 to do, then I’ll drop in the 2TB drive and format it.

@oldmike ,

The script was designed to be run standalone, so by default it will download all new videos that have not been downloaded already.  If you provide a name or episode idea it will focus on downloading just those.

If you run the script with -help it will show you all of the options and their defaults.  If you want to use mp4 files, then you will have to have ffmpeg.exe installed (I am assuming it is in the same place as where you are running the tablo2 script), otherwise it will only be able to produce the raw ts files.

I recommend a setup like this

python tablo2.py -db:tablo2.odb -history:tablo2.history -mp4 -ffmpeg:./ffmpeg.exe

which will cache the metadata from your tablos in the tablo2.odb file, record what has been downloaded in tablo2.history, default to mp4 and use your local ffmpeg.  You will probably want to change the default location for tvshows and movies as well.

Many thanks kenny.  I have no movies, so this should work just great.  Let you know!

Got 

"Can’t open file ‘tablo2.py’, no such file or directory.  

I have tablo2.py, ffmpeg (folder) all in the phython27 directory.

Ah; the steps did not include to put the executables of ffmpeg into the top of the python27 directory.  I copied all of the binaries into it, and now it seems to be running fine.  

First one is out, an MP4 of 650MB.  VLC says it will play it, but it does not and it shows the file to be zero minutes long.

The MP4 will not play through Plex.

OK, now even more odd.  In the CMD window the updates say “Deleting .ts file”, but what I have on the output is all .ts files.  So I renamed on to .MP4 and it plays!  So I think there is a bug in the script, and the file I could not play was actually a .TS file marked as MP4.  When placed into the Plex files with the proper name and folder name (Plex is very fussy about that) they play fine.  My guess would be that the script does delete the TS file, but then does not rename the converted file to MP4, leaving it as .TS.  But a simple edit of the file type yields a fine MP4 file.  

Thanks for all your patience.

So, now I’m really confused and embarassed.  I relaunched the script, and was watching files download, then disappear.  But looked at the CMD dialog, and saw that they were being moved to a .TV folder, and sure enough there are the shows, in folders and with names and episode numbers that Plex will like.  No idea about the .TS files that were actually .MP4 files I saw before, but right now it is just perfect, and I thank all concerned.  Now I’ll try to stop taking up anyone’s time.  Thanks again.

Boy, was that slick.  Thanks to all involved.  Now I can swap in a 2TB drive.

Played my first Plex file from Tablo.  The last three minutes was cut off, so didn’t get to finish.  I’ll try another tomorrow to see if it is systematic.