Anyone using Tablo with 4K TV?

I spent my first year after college in Birmingham (Riverchase area), then moved to Nashville. Glad to see another Titans fan on board.

@snowcat Too cool! I’m a Browns fan but root for the Titans when not playing the Browns. I’ll have to say hey if I go to a game in Nashvegas this year.

There are no true 4K output devices (Android, Roku or Fire TV) out that I know of except for the Nvidia Shield TV Player. This runs on Android and it actually supports 4K output to your TV. You can see 4K content on Netflix and YouTube where it’s available. It looks amazing especially compared to the Fire TV I used to use. Don’t be fooled by up-converting, get something that can actually play 4K content.

1 Like

I know that, but my question is how does the trans-coded OTA MPEG4 from Tablo look on a 4K TV (which obviously is upscaled to 4K)?

For the record, here are two 4K output devices (not that I’m suggesting anyone should run out and buy one):

I was more thinking about a device that tablo will play on. Those devices are OK but I think they may only work on their own TV’s. I know the Samsung one is.

I just wanted to let you guys know that I do own a nvidia shield and its a pretty awesome on a 4k TV. Tablo runs like glass compared to the fire TV interface and its not the beta. The new search feature where you can see the video is smooth.

It has more to do with your 4k TV’s ability to upscale. From my research, Samsung has the best overall upscaling. Thus, if you have a good picture on your HDTV with Tablo, you should also have a very good picture on a 4k. In my experience with 4k, even with a true 4k feed, it doesn’t look much different. Any on screen text looks a bit better, but unless you are right on top of it, nothing noticeable. That said, however, the TV makers are throwing all their picture quality improvements into 4k and have decided that’s the way it’s gonna be.

In your case I am assuming the Nvidia is doing the upscaling of the Tablo 1080p content to 4K rather than the HDTV. Good to know the device does a good job with this.

I picked up a Vizio M70-C3 (70" 4K display) from Costco today - and color me impressed. It does an amazing job of upscaling and Tablo looks fantastic on it (wired ethernet to everything and Tablo recording quality set to 1080p). Tonight’s NFL games are stunning (the new 60fps for 720p channels works great - should be no more complaints about sports looking bad on Tablo). I dialed in the picture with the help of settings recommendations at rtings.com (great site BTW). Amazon UHD streaming (limited Prime content, but fun to see what’s possible) is really nice - but HD Netflix (not UHD) looks really great as well.
http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/by-brand/vizio/m-series-2015/settings

1 Like

Just bought a new sony xbr 55" 4k tv Android based tv with upscaling
Gotta say so far im pretty impressed at the image quality. Seems in most situations the upscaling seems to improve and enrichnthe image in color and image quality. Also. having the tablo app integrated in to the tv’s os is blissful and so far problem free. No issues streaming full hd recordings to the tv’s 5g wifi. Network card either

1 Like

Same here. It’s nice having everything integrated.

Are you using the 10Mbs recording quality or something less?

10Mbps here.

10mbps for me

I have a 4K tv that upconverts lesser signals and it all looks fantastic with one exception. 4K viewed on a 720P tv will still be a 720P image. If the image looks better it is because the quality is better, not because you are viewing 4K.
The one exception to better quality is with poor quality incoming signals. They are upconverted sporadically, switching back and forth between great and B&W or stuttering images (tv stations need to be close enough to receive a good signal and internet streaming needs to be sufficient or it will pixilate the image or freeze).
Yes, 4K tv’s already produce improved viewing. When I got mine I wasn’t sure but when I turned it on I was instantly impressed.

SiliconDust has a 4K HDHomerun Connect. I use both Tablo and the Connect non 4K Plex is better software and I don’t know if it is 4K capable with your media server.

Roku Ultra with app from a Quad, Tablo upscales nothing, of you send it through some AVR / NVR models like one I have that device can upscale. I an mot sure about Shield or Roku. I think they just switch resolution for its output. You do not need Tablo Connect, it is only required for Cloud playback. You just need the regular Tablo app which runs fine on any Roku.

Yes, Netflix (if 4K content) and Amazon Video (if 4K version) look better. Amazon does not charge any more for 4K unlike Netflix.

Tablo Connect has nothing to do with cloud playback, it’s remote access to your Tablo unit.

Exactly, it uses the Tablo server, it is not a direct connection but more to point he claimed Tablo Connect is not on a Roku and thus no 4K yet you do not need Tablo Connect to use it with a 4K TV which is the subject; You need the normal Tablo app which is completely different.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.