Anyone using Tablo on a Hotspot/Jetpack?

Hi! Just curious if anyone else out there is using Tablo in this way:

I have no internet service available where I live there than satellite internet. I’ve vowed never to try that again. I am currently using a Verizon (Inseego) M8800L Jetpack as my internet source AND router. I was able to set the Tablo 4-tuner up over WiFi and streaming to three separate Roku Stick+’s seems to be flawless.

I was concerned that this Jetpack wouldn’t do a great job as a router but it is supposed to be a nice piece of hardware and seems to be doing just fine. Anyone else out there had to get creative with something like this?

only warning I would give would be related to Commercial Skip…it uses a fair amount of data to upload to the net…so I wouldn’t want to be using that data on a Jetpack.

2 Likes

https://www.tablotv.com/blog/tablo-faqs-do-i-need-internet-use-tablo-ota-dvr/

Why Cellular Data and Mobile Hotspots Are Not Recommended

First it’s just “not recommended” (not necessarily won’t work, just less than ideal?)

If you don’t have internet access, or use cellular data and mobile hotspots, Tablo is not recommended for you.

Then conclude you shouldn’t even use it at all.

I hope it works well for you. I’ve been through satellite, it was better than dial-up - when that was the only option. Then used a cellular hotpot, live in a fringe area - woods, only 5miles from town. It wasn’t stable and very expensive at the time. (prior to 4G LTE speeds as well)

Now local phone co has wireless internet in the area WiMAX and LTE technologies. It’s not the highspeed you get with a physical connection, but it’s stable and reasonable reliable. [8Mbis down / 2Mbis up] but it cost and took forever to become available.

1 Like

Yeah I saw that when researching this. It’s what really started my concern. I see absolutely no difference in performance from when I had satellite internet though. To my understanding, nothing is dependent on the internet connection except for the guide data download. Is that correct? I am not planning on using auto skip.
It is of course the least ideal situation but I guess the fact that it works is a testament to how great the Tablo solution can be! $20 a month extra for the hotspot and I have great TV programming.

I think the main difference is that this specific jetpack is a more full featured piece of hardware with decent router functionality. The 5G model they just released actually has an Ethernet port. It was $600 however and I wasn’t going for that.

If for some reason this doesn’t work out I have a backup solution as well. I’m going to use a TP link nano router with WISP to get the jetpack Internet into a full feature router. Hopefully I can save that money though.

NO.

https://www.tablotv.com/blog/tablo-faqs-do-i-need-internet-use-tablo-ota-dvr/

Depending what/which device/app you use, some need to find the tablo via internet more than others and under different circumstances.

In order for your devices to ‘find’ your Tablo so it stream video, it uses network discovery protocols.

Most Tablo apps have two ways to ‘find’ the Tablo on your network. First they will attempt to locate your Tablo by touching base with the home server at Tablo HQ. If that fails because the external internet is down, the app will fall back to its last known location on your home network.

However, the Tablo web app (at my.tablotv.com), and Tablo apps for LG Web OS, Samsung TIZEN, and Xbox One do not have secondary fallback discovery, so will not be able to locate your Tablo DVR if the internet is down or unavailable.

But it’s just just to get a response, then it’s back to local network.

I think I did something like that. I had a MiFi from Verizion. I setup my router as a client bridge (maybe, it’s been awhile, forget terms), then my Linksys had more power to provide wifi throughout the house as the primary access point / router.

I just got a survey, electric co-op is seeing if there’s interest in internet access!! Some day I may have an actual physical highspeed access!! That would be awesome… well if it actually happens. Even then I suppose it’ll that a couple years to wire up everyone, although I believe they incorporate the signal via the power lines.