Antop Antennas!

Well I might have to get a new antenna, one of the main channels we watch (WGBH - boston/PBS) moved to VHF with the August 2, 2019 repack … ) … My current antenna is UHF only… So this might be a good time to try an ANTOP

How close are you to the VHF station? Sometimes good old fashioned rabbit ears will bring in a VHF channel which you could combine with the UHF antenna. Least expensive solution.

50 odd miles away in lightly hilly terrain between… its not flat.

Oh boy, be careful here! WGBH - Boston/PBS is moving to channel 5 - which is LO VHF (LO VHF not just VHF). I’m not sure of Antop’s LO VHF capabilities. They have an extension (comes with the antenna) that adds HI VHF.

Now they do say at Amazon “Enhanced Vhf Reception Rods For Channels 2-13.” So that accounts for LO VHF as well. The frequency range of the BV models at the official Antop website is stated as “87.5-230MHz, 470-700MHz.” Channel 5 is 76-82 MHz. The BVs begins at 87 MHz which is channel 6. Channel 5 would be just at the reception margin. The data on VHF is ambiguous for the Antops

Wonder if anyone here with LO VHF (solely channels 2 to 6) has tried Antop?

If the Antop doesn’t bring in channel 5, then you would have to try a LO VHF folded dipole antenna in the attic. A LO VHF antenna on the roof is huge (I had one in the past and trying to put one up there is a real balancing act). Not difficult to make a LO VHF folded dipole from wire and tape and string it up.

WGBH has a post repack UHF transmitter but it does not do PBS programming in HD, just SD.

There is discussion (quite heated) of WGBH’s repack move and antenna required at AVS’ Boston OTA reception forum (last few pages):

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/45-local-hdtv-info-reception/28454-boston-ma-ota.html

WGBH got $200 million to move to VHF - there’s the reason for that move that has people up in arms (why LO?)… My PBS is moving to channel 7 which is HI VHF but they are building a new transmitter with their repack money and adding power to it for easier reception. WGBH said it wants to add power to their VHF transmitter and is petitioning the FCC.

Really intrigued how an Antop would do with REAL channel 5 (not virtual). You could go to the AntopUSA website and chat with an Antop rep - ask how an Antop would do with channel 5.

If a LO VHF dipole won’t work (or an Antop), then Locast in Boston does PBS but you lose the DVR (Tablo) capability. However Locast has now gone to court so who knows how long they’ll be around. Another option would be a PBS monthly subscription for unlimited streaming.

1 Like

Oh that’s good to know … thanks I wasn’t even aware of that, I will look now more deeply into this issue…

Some people at AVS Forum are claiming that they are receiving channel 5 with a rabbit ear antenna fully extended. Might be worth a shot since those go for only $10 or so.

Another poster at AVS designed a full LO VHF antenna by adding on to an existing rabbit ear antenna using just wire and clips.

Rabbit%20Ears%20Antenna%20for%20VHF%20Low3

2 Likes

You know I was looking at something like that someone made with pvc pipe …

I hadnt checked AVS yet to see how people in the boston area were dealing with it … but again thank you…!

I am no antenna expert but how “directional” would this need to be, I can’t imagine it would be overly sensitive to orientation other than being parallel to the ground, elevated, and “roughly” in the direction of the broadcast tower…

got the AVS forum link to this discussion? …

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/45-local-hdtv-info-reception/28454-boston-ma-ota.html

Go to the last page and work backwards. The link gets you to the first page.

1 Like

Thanks! …
My thought is if this worked, it might be easy enough to install in the attic and just run a coax to the amp (which has a VHF input – unused at the moment)… (the db8e is outside and roof mounted, but I have a few unused cable feeds from when I had an attic install of a lesser yagi type antenna)

1 Like

Wouldn’t have to be directional since it is so long. I calculate that the wire would be 156 inches long or 78 inches on each side when folded.

Yep attic.

Here is a pic of someone’s channel 6 (Philly) just strung up from rafters:

1 Like

People are also commenting on other stations affected by the repack at AVS such as WBZ.

that looks like a coat hanger… but it looks a lot less then 100+ inches assuming the rafters are standard 16" width.

Yea I got the thread up now and following it… that is exactly what info I was looking for… I really appreciate it… (those guys know more about the issue so this info is good) …

If you find anymore more, please either post it or DM it to me…

BTW this is my favorite using copper pipes. I built one using copper refrigeration coil from Home Depot.

Folded%2520Dipole%2520-%2520Solder%2520Caps

FWIW back in 2012 we lived in Philly for a short time and I learned the hard way about ch6 being hard to get… fortunately we were only there a few months … wasn’t till before we left I found rabbit ears worked best.

At least you have a chance with ch 5. People are getting it. Ch 6 in Philly is really hard to get!

Yah, it looks like he did a half-wave hoping that would work rather than a full wave. Ch 5 would be 156 inches full wave, 78 folded in two.

Here’s another LO VHF design (hourglass loop):

http://imageevent.com/holl_ands/loops/lovhffmhourglassloop

Holl_ands is a good source (I’ve used his designs).

As the FCC changes our channel frequencies, there may be signal strength variations. Please be assured that WGBH is working hard to improve the signal strength for WGBH and the HD signals it carries. Your email will be used to demonstrate that viewers are having difficulty receiving our signal. We will be petitioning the FCC for a “Maximization of Power” and this will help you receive our HD channels, but we need viewers like you to help in that effort.

BTW I’m familiar with the Boston area. Did some consulting work in Cambridge Mass twenty years ago. My wife and I loved visiting New England and Ogunquit (Maine).

Shoot, there goes your reason for getting an Antop :wink:

1 Like