Antenna question(s)

Just setup our Tablo last night.

Currently we have this antenna - but I'm wondering if it's the problem.  It's simply not seeing all the channels it should be and not picking up the signals as good as it should be.  If I stick it on a window (*not* a permanent solution obviously), that helps but it's still not quite right.

In the past when we unplugged, we used this antenna for live TV (with no Tablo setup obviously).  It picked up the local channels in HD perfectly with no hiccups.  I'm wondering if I got a bad antenna or one that simply doesn't work as good?  That second link isn't categorized as an HD antenna, but clearly picks up HD digital signals from our local broadcasts, so I'm wondering if I should grab one and try that?  Does it have to be categorized as a HD antenna?

We also got the "error - weak signal" when trying to watch live TV, but it sounds like that's a current bug that will hopefully be fixed ASAP.

Thanks in advance! 

Depending on your location that may not be the antenna for you. Would it be possible for you to go to www.tvfool.com and post your results on here so we can have a better understanding of what you should be receiving with an antenna like that? Also, the higher you go with your antenna is usually better. Always try to get as clear of a line of sight to the broadcast towers as possible.

Keep in mind that the tablo has a splitter inside (2 way for 2 tuner and 4 way for 4 tuner) so there will be a slight signal loss if you compare it to connecting the antenna directly to your TV.

All uhf or vhf antennas are hd capable whether they say hd or not so yes, the 40 year old rabbit ears will pick up crystal clear hdtv as long as it has a good signal to receive.

Your first antenna might need an amplifier due to the signal being split by the Tablo. Basically the 50 Mile version of what you bought. See here:

If you have an android phone there is an antennapointer application or you could get a compass to aim the antenna in the direction tvfool says. I did that last night and having antenna in the window is not the solution if you have metal blinds.

Depending on your location that may not be the antenna for you. Would it be possible for you to go to www.tvfool.com and post your results on here so we can have a better understanding of what you should be receiving with an antenna like that? Also, the higher you go with your antenna is usually better. Always try to get as clear of a line of sight to the broadcast towers as possible.

Keep in mind that the tablo has a splitter inside (2 way for 2 tuner and 4 way for 4 tuner) so there will be a slight signal loss if you compare it to connecting the antenna directly to your TV.

All uhf or vhf antennas are hd capable whether they say hd or not so yes, the 40 year old rabbit ears will pick up crystal clear hdtv as long as it has a good signal to receive.

Are these what you're looking for: https://www.dropbox.com/s/glf8fyh22sx1olc/Capture.PNG?dl=0

That site is great, btw, never seen it before.  Thanks!

Your first antenna might need an amplifier due to the signal being split by the Tablo. Basically the 50 Mile version of what you bought. See here:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00DIFIP06

Thanks - just ordered a 50 mile amped version for same day delivery (gotta love Amazon…).  Will report back later tonight if it helps.

If you have an android phone there is an antennapointer application or you could get a compass to aim the antenna in the direction tvfool says. I did that last night and having antenna in the window is not the solution if you have metal blinds.

Does that matter with these flat/flex antenna’s?

@dynatot - Metal blinds or windows with reflective coating can interfere with OTA signals. 

Ya that looks good. That amped version that @theuser86 suggested should be pretty good for your location as you are kind of on the edge for the non amped antenna. Facing the flat side of the antenna to the south east should help as well. I’ll be interested to hear your results. Good luck!

Thanks for all the help - will report back later tonight.

@dynatot, I have one of those flat amplified antennas right now and I’m in Frisco.  I have it taped to my window which just so happens to face south.  That type of antenna grabs most things, just realize that WFAA (ABC) is VHF and that antenna is not designed for that.  We’re going to be moving at the end of the year and I plan to go with an outdoor antenna that can pull in ABC.

@cjcox - That’s funny, we just moved from Frisco about 2 months ago.  I remember when we had that “old school” antenna before up in Frisco it would get WFAA, but it was “8-2” or whatever the channel was, and that makes sense now.  WFAA isn’t a deal killer but if we’re going to have live TV, that’s obviously a staple around these parts, so I might look into a different model as well.  

@cjcox - This is the one I ended up ordering to try tonight:

It looks like that one should pick up WFAA for us based on the specs.

Nice you went with the tried and tested Mohu, good idea. The Amazon one is supposed to be the same generic version it but you never know.

Let us know how it all goes.

I have the Mohu Leaf 50 and aimed it it is on an angle to get all station add. I have one VHF station KTBC and the rest are UHF. Strange how things turn out. LBJ owned it and it was the only VHF station in Austin. Now everything is HDTV UHF is better.

Most leaf style antennas are good at just UHF.  YMMV.  I put up an amplified set of rabbit ears on our 2nd story and can marginally pull in WFAA (ABC).  It’s not perfect and it’s away from the Tablo.  If we stayed in our current home I might get a second Tablo just for WFAA (to be near where the indoor antenna works).  The amplified rabbit ears didn’t work from the room where my existing Tablo resides.

Anyhow… I’m far enough out that an outdoor antenna is warranted.

The VHF portion of the “rabbit ears” antenna, is, indeed, the “rabbit ears”.  The loop is the UHF portion.  If rabbit ears worked, use rabbit ears.  A UHF antenna will not do much good for a VHF station. 

If it doesn’t work, you may need antenna gain.  The Terk HDTVa, for example, has a preamp, and UHF antenna gain, but no VHF antenna gain.  It’s still just a set of rabbit ears as far as VHF is concerned; just a set of rabbit ears with a preamp.  I ended up mounting an RCA ANT751R and a preamp in my attic.  30 plus miles away from the stations in LA. Rabbit ears “almost” did the job upstairs, on the one side of the house.  But not enough to have reliable OTA recording.

I also have another amplified antenna, which is a GE not flat leaf style.  I used http://tvfool.com to see what direction to aim the antenna and the antennapointer android app.  You could also use a compass.  When you buy your antenna, if you have both UHF and VHF, make sure the antenna also covers both.  The box that the antenna is in says what it covers.

The TV in the bedroom is using old school rabbit ears also aimed, and everything except the low power channel 17 comes in.

I detect a basic misunderstanding with some posts in this thread.  People shouldn’t expect amplified antennae to magically “pull-in” weak OTA channels.  Amplified antennae merely improve signal loss due to long cable runs.  That’s a much different concept than many marketeers would like you to believe. 

Amplifiers DO NOT transform antennae into a better receptor which is wholly dependent on antennae design & placement.  Sometimes, ideal antennae site/placement dictates a long cable run and an amplifier installed as close to the antennae as possible, can help.  

Look at it this way - if you have a junk signal reaching your antennae an amplifier can only amplify a junk signal.  It’s simply not possible to somehow magically convert junk signal into useable signal.  

@enyapeoj, An amplified antenna does amplify signal, and therefore a station that was marginal becomes usable.  You need to be in a marginal reception area to appreciate the difference.  I know for a fact that using the same antenna amplified vs. unamplified, only the amplified signal brings in the stations in my area.  Unamplified, the antenna is worthless.  Cable to antenna is 6ft. or less.  An amplified antenna can take a 20 mile antenna and make it work effectively at 35-45+ miles.

My experience is mainly with indoor antennas.  My leaf antenna must be amplified.  My rabbit ears upstair must be amplfied.  Otherwise, they pull in zero stations.  Just saying.

The reason why “junk” is not necessarily “junk” is because the signals are now digital.  It can make a world of difference.

@cjcox‘dunno why your reception improved with an amplifier?  Perhaps AC power grid is acting as 2nd antennae through the power supply?  

Rest assured majority of experts recommend only using an amplifier for the reasons stated in my post.

The potential drawbacks of amplifiers are that they amplify noise along with the signal, waste money and may be overdriven by strong signals, which can actually make reception worse.