“An Unexpected Error Occurred. Wi-Fi Setup failed due to an unexpected error

Every single time I try to connect this thing this is all i get?? What am I doing wrong?

“An Unexpected Error Occurred. Wi-Fi Setup failed due to an unexpected error"

This has been going on for over an hour and a half! Please help!

And now it tells me my password is wrong, when I know it is not?

What is the make and model of your router?

Are you running any funky firmware like DD-WRT or OpenWRT?

It is a Netgear Nighthawk I think is the model. I have now tried on the android app which says unexpected error. I have tried on the iphone app which says the password is wrong, which I know to be incorrect. And then I tried the web app on my comp which after searching goes back to the main screen. I am at a loss.

Hey @Baums - Sorry you’re having a rough time getting up and running.

If you have a dual band router, can you try connecting to the 2.4GHz network versus the 5?

If that doesn’t do the trick, give the team a call and we’ll get you fixed up: 1-844-822-5688

:speak_no_evil:
:interrobang: :bangbang: :question:

Same issue here, exactly.
I’ve gotten “unexpected error” and “Password is invalid” but it was not entered incorrectly.

The app sees the Tablo_XXXX AP and notifies that it has connected/disconnected alternately to the available Wi-Fi SSID through the process. It is smart enough to warn against choosing the -Guest SSID. Just not going to completion without error.

Was working for years as wired connection. Installed new wi-fi router and removed ethernet cable. Walked through app setup countless times with no success. Wi-fi has 2.4 and 5GHz but it doesn’t give the option of choosing which. It is allegedly an automatic process. I have 5 other devices successfully connected without incident to the 2.4GHz channel.

Edit - Update following tech support session:

As a result of telephone conversion with Tablo Tech Support, I understand that the Wireless connection is not possible using the Orbi RBK753 Wifi-6 router. My understanding is that, during the process of the connection wizard, the Tablo hunts for acceptable channel. It connects then attempts another connection repeatedly for a couple of minutes before giving up. It alternately reports “unexpected Error” or erroneously reports “password is incorrect”

My previous Wireless network based on Orbi RBK50 did not have this issue. The new model is now successfully connected to 9 other 2.4GHz limited devices without incident.

The technician advised there is no work around and I may either find an Ethernet port within range of my antenna cable connection (25 ft and two rooms away), or live without the Tablo.

I offered my configuration for development testing of a connection protocol software solution but did not sense any interest…

Not happy.

Which Tablo app(s) have you used to try and connect to your Wi-Fi network? Do your 2.4 and 5Ghz networks have unique/separate SSIDs?

I have tried using Android Tablo App on two different devices. I have no other devices with which to try.
The Orbi does not accommodate different SSID for the 2.4 and 5GHz channels.
The Tablo setup wizard correctly detects and displays the visible WI-FI SSIDs .
I can see the Tablo_XXXX AP operating on 2.4GHz Channel 1 when it is active.

Hello, bumping this topic to the top as I’m having issues with my new Tablo.

The problem seems to be the exact same as the original one above and there doesn’t seem to be a resolution. I get to the point in installation where I’m trying to connect to my wifi network and I get the unexpected error message.

I use a Tp-link mesh dual band network if that matters.

I had the same error after switching from wired network to wireless. My Android app just can’t pass the setup. I decided to use my old PC to run the setup. It didn’t show that error but simply returned to the beginning of the process. I could not tell if it worked. I did notice that the tablo was no longer broadcasting it’s wifi channel (disappeared from the wifi list) and my router had the tablo shown as a connected device. My Android app still is slow to connect but it did connect once. The Tablo app on the FireStick was faster and showed everything connected. I suspect the slow 2.4 GHz speed was a factor even though the 5GHz was faster after changing router. In short, try setting up the wifi by a computer.

It’s not that straight forward. There are different specifications - 802.11[a,g,n,ac] with different speeds. Both “ends” use the same. Just because your wireless “highest speed” router, it is only as fast as the device it connects with.

Then there’s how much traffic, or devices, are using either one. It can be fast but if there are 4 devices streaming HD content,… eventually you’ll have latency.

Then there’s what it transmitting through. One might be faster, but doesn’t penetrate as many obstacles.

There are so many variables for each environment. There may be other wireless network available. Each flood different channels and can cause interference.

The only thing changed for my setup is replacement of an older mesh system by a single wifi 6 router. In the former case, a wired connection was used for the Tablo since there was a satellite nearby and the setup was easy. Now the wireless connection speed is great,judged by my wifi 6 compatible phone. However, one of my streaming set top boxes, which uses 2.4 gHz, is doing poorly now. That is why I suspect the 2.4 gHz connection to be slower than before. I think it will help by moving the Tablo closer to the router. I already made the Tablo connection from PC by the time I had that idea so I don’t have a definitive comparison test.

Is the tablo still wired? Location and distance doesn’t really matter in this case.

Yes, there are so many different variables. Unfortunately there isn’t always a one-size-fits-all fix for these. I hope there comes a day you can just sit back and enjoy your tablo expirence.

It is now connected via wireless. It was fine last night, the first night after the change. However, I got the tuner not available error this morning. Rebooting or resetting (pressing the blue button briefly or over 7 seconds) didn’t help. The LED light was blinking fast. Finally after unplugging the power it got the system working again. If I experience more trouble in the future, I plan to switch back to wired connection.

BAD IDEA, just pressing and releasing is a reboot

hold it too long you’ll end up factory resetting it, clearing everything you have already setup, scheduled and everything.

[EDIT] If you think this will fix anything, carefully read the article closely and heed the warning

WARNING:
A factory reset should not be attempted as a troubleshooting step and should only be done as a last resort by someone who knows what they’re doing.

1 Like

“pressing the blue button briefly” means press and release (reboot). I don’t have anything important to lose for a full reset. But none worked, I had to unplug and plug the power to get rid of the “tuner unavailable” error.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.