Adding VHF to Outdoor UHF only Antenna

Sorry about the offtopic question, I search for this online quite a bit and I can’t seem to find a satisfying answer to my question.

I have an outdoor antenna that I bought last year that’s UHF only. There’s 2 stations just a few miles from my house that I get an ok signal when the weather’s good, not so good when the weather is bad.

The model of my antenna is a Focus HD 8 bay
http://www.thesource.ca/estore/product.aspx?language=en-ca&catalog=online&category=Outdoor%20Antennas&product=8025239

I was thinking about putting this on top of it:

Do you guys think it’s gonna fit? Secondly amazon Canada sells it for 100$+, while on the US side it’s 26 $, anyone knows of a similar product available in Canada that wouldn’t be a ripoff?

thanks!

Hard to say if it will fit but it does say it is for DB8-E which is similar to your antenna.

Not sure where you are located but Save&Replay in Mississauga has what looks like the same item for $34.99 plus tax & shipping :
http://overtheair.saveandreplay.com/Antennas_Direct_Clearstream2_C2_Reflector_Kit.asp

or you could order it from Amazon.com for $38.03 US (about $50 Cdn) including import fees & shipping

Sweet thank you very much for this info

That part is the same VHF antenna that comes with the ClearStream 4V, it works well.

Manufacturer states Focus HD 8 bay is analog compatible.

Guess it is because I do get the 2 channels that are VHF (10.1 & 12.1) but the reception isn’t great, especially when it’s freezing. There was time during last winter I wouldn’t get any reception on 10.1, and right now I can record and watch that same channel pretty well.

Your timing is perfect. I was just thinking about boosting my Clearstream 4’s VHF performance and here you were with a possible solution. Decided to give it a try. Just ordered a VHF retrofit kit from amazon. Thanks.

All TV antennas are analog compatible. There’s no such thing as an “analog” or “digital” antenna.

The OP needs better VHF reception. The Focus HD 8 is basically UHF only.

1 Like

These VHF kits are in reality the old fashioned rabbit ears added to the UHF antenna with a uhf\vhf combiner (UVSJ). DIYers make these for less than $10 with copper wire and a UVSJ. Heck some people just stick the rabbit ears on top of their UHF antenna. Or bend 6 feet of refrigerator copper coil (pipe) into an elliptical\oblong shape and use that as the VHF component; best results come from matching pipe length with VHF wavelength desired.

True but analog is more commonly associated with VHF spectrum. Bottom line here is his signal is weak on the problem channels as you say.

That’s because in the old days (50’s and 60’s), stations were all VHF broadcasting for analog televisions. The digital cutover made most VHF based stations convert to UHF though some hung onto their VHF signals. Many local community based stations in those days went UHF (since the majors had the VHF frequencies) and these became the basis for cable broadcasting since UHF was more difficult to receive. In those days cable cost less than $5 a month since it was not carrying the major stations, only the small community based ones.

UsrTblo:
Simplest is with 300 ohm twin lead cut to resonate at desired wavelength.

I went the refrigerator copper coil pipe direction at 72 inches (measured for channels 8 to 11) and get these at 100%. The pipe is 1/4 inch in diameter from Home Depot.

1 Like

I finally ordered this thing online and it attached easily to my existing antenna, and fixed all my issues with my VHF channels

2 Likes