A Message from the CEO of Nuvyyo

No surprises here AFAIAC.

I would just leave it as you say, “an interaction between specs as implemented by Tablo and Roku” and not get back up on my soapbox. I am trying really hard to hold my tongue and stay chilled…

Curious … FYI I am not using 1080 settings and see this but that general theory could explain a great deal… if I have time I will try using it via wireless and see if it goes away… Thanks for your continued work on this.

xxx ccc xx cc

3 Likes

I also have seen LPW on other Roku channels but never on Tablo until 2.2.6. arrived. The other channels may have server demand which briefly overwhelms them or my Internet connection could be temporarily interrupted for those cases. For Tablo, it is a new issue absolutely coincident with 2.2.6. And, unlike the others, from a locally generated stream in the Tablo. The basic question is, what has changed here. To me the answer is 2.2.6.

Watch out! just learned of this http://www.pogi.tv

They only curently have a 2 tuner model and the disk is built in. However, they do have an official method to copy recordings to storage and gigabit wired.

1 Like

xxx ccc xx cc

I have a Roku 2XS with an Ethernet port also. So they are out there.

My AppleTVs, Rokus, PCs, etc. can all stutter with “lumpy” streams, and this is even more true with 1080p and especially 4K UHD content. The QoS and RTSP packet delivery ensures the correct order of packets at the expense of the timlieness, so buffer underflows are an inevitable result at times.

The Tablo playback of local hard disk files should not, however, suffer this stutter / pause unless the player is being starved (e.g. attached disk drive latency, for example) or has player bugs. Feeding Roku delayed packets causes LPW and sending it packets out of order can potentially make it freeze (FfReboot).

Firmware 2.2.6. seems to have either precipitated or exacerbated this problem based on my experience along with many other reports. And the kindest, most gentle way of describing it was in the previous reply posted yesterday by @ChrisFix as a spec interpretation issue.

@ChrisFix
A man walks up to a 24 hour convenience store only to see the owner putting up a “Closed” sign.
Man: Thought you were open 24 hours.
Owner: Yeah, but not in a row.

Spec interpretation issue.

2 Likes

xxx ccc xx cc

Hulu sent you a slower 720p stream and your Internet connection, the Hulu server, or your Roku no longer experienced loading delays. Not an indictment of Roku. On Saturday nights, my AppleTV stalls occasionally on HBO at 1080p but seems to always run fine at 720p. Same issue with both Apple TV and Roku on HBO Now on both platforms.

xxx ccc xx cc

Thank you !

Thought I’d share a little update. Unplugged the Roku 4 ethernet in the main room and switched the recording to 720. No problems this afternoon watching football on my local CBS in another room with the Roku stick. Curious to see how it works over the next few days.

Looks based on MythTV. An appliance on that platform will be the cat’s meow.

xxx ccc xx cc

2 Likes

We need to feed this barker some raw meat.

What I am is old enough to remember when you had to justify every line of code you had written just to schedule time on a computer to compile it. All this for a computer with less power than your desktop has now, but wouldn’t even fit in your house. What I am is old enough to remember when products actually worked out of the box.
And if you don’t like my keeping their feet to the fire then don’t read my posts.
You fanboys are doing everybody a terrible disservice by constantly attacking those with a different opinion than you have.
And if a company goes out of business for putting a crappy product on the market with crappy support, then they deserve it.

Now that’s really interesting. You’re old enough to remember when you had to schedule run time on a mainframe, yet a week ago you wrote this:

Man, mom must be really up in years now. What is she, like 110? Add in the fact that your sentence structure sounds like someone that just finished playing Call of Duty … and why do I think you’re trolling?

2 Likes

Well mom is actually 95 and doing fine just so ya know, now why don’t you go flame someone else fanboy.