A Message from the CEO of Nuvyyo

I certainly don’t mean to imply that this is a global issue for all Roku users. It’s not.

But, I have a Roku stick and a Roku 2 bought this year and it was definitely an issue on those devices until I cleaned up my system, both the OTA signal strength and some WiFi networking SNR issues. And, there were numerous reboots along the way that might have helped as well.

My suspicion is that the Tablo and the Roku work but something that Nuvyyo introduced with 2.2.6 put the system right on the hairy edge of falling apart. Any little thing … OTA reception errors, dropped packets over the network, etc. etc. will push the system over the edge and the various problems that people have been reporting start cropping up. That’s just a gut feeling based on my experience and what others are reporting. Who knows, could be CPU/GPU resource issues or memory leaks as others have suggested. In any case, the system is more fragile with respect to the problems being reported than was 2.2.2.

I can envision that Nuvyyo’s internal testing was perhaps on very clean systems, with good OTA signals and very clean networks and maybe they just didn’t cause these failures to crop up. That is an oversight on their part as you want to make sure that your test beds try to replicate real world impairments that you are likely to see in the field as much as possible. And maybe they didn’t have quite enough beta testers or maybe they didn’t take seriously the problems reported from a minority of testers that were seeing what real customers are now seeing in the field.

When all the dust has settled they ought to do a post mortem to see what clues they overlooked and what tests they could have run to have caught these issues.

Well that rig sounds a lot stronger than mine and one would think it would do the job. But…I have lived long enough to know that anything is possible. My whole house is wireless and Apple. Here is what the LAN looks like.

Pls note that all networks are named Airport Network - that way whatever is connecting goes to the best connection. Small pt but important. Cheers

PS “routers use “cognitive radio” technology. This means they listen before they talk”.

I wish humans were like that …

@RetiredEngineer can I like your post twice?

I appreciate @TabloCEO’s message. The very nature of the Tablo platform with BYOHD, an infinite variety of network configurations, OTA environments and multiple device interfaces makes engineering an incredibly complex task. There’s no way they can troubleshoot/beta test every conceivable configuration. I have followed the various conversations of those trying to troubleshoot ongoing issues and hope the problems are rectified quickly. The fact Tablo not only has this community forum available but actively participates on it shows they care and are working hard to make Tablo the best it can be. I’ve benefitted from fellow users experiences and advice on a couple of my own issues. Every platform has it’s positives and negatives and for me, Tablo is bringing great value for the price. Thanks again, @TabloTV - you’re working hard to make a good product even better!

1 Like

Thanks Max!!
Larry

And to take it yet another step further…Software / firmware that works for some of the people some of the time, is the classical definition of bad software.

Dismissing problems by blaming users, and ESPECIALLY stating “I don’t have this problem” only serve to inflame those of us who are suffering. And such dismissals coming from one specific user here who has posted literally thousands of posts here 24/7 saying his unit has no such issue adds an element of who he represents and what his agenda may be as well.

3 Likes

FTR I have both problems of restarting and loading please wait. They’re not as severe as some of the people here, but they are annoying.

I too appreciate the update and hope you continue to communicate any further advancements. My system is working perfectly with my computer (using Chrome browser) and my Samsung tablet but totally unacceptable with my Roku2/tv set-up to the point that it is unusable in that situation. However I love it on my tablet so much I plan on sticking with it.

Replace with Roku 3 or 4. They both support 5 GHZ WiFi

It’s made Bill Gates a lot of money. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sorry @RetiredEngineer I have to agree with @DaveG on that one. I remember how bad their stuff was and people would complain all the time and gobble it up :wink:

the only issue I am experiencing is the slow startup on my Roku devices only… otherwise its working great… and once it starts playing on the roku it seems ok unless I skip ahead a lot then its a bit sluggish but once playback starts there are no further issues.

This is also a common issue I’ve seen on the forums, have you opened a Support Ticket so they can check your Tablo logs? It’s the only way it can be fixed.

When I have the time … its not super annoying it does eventually play after a minute or two… when I get free time to fart around with this I will submit a ticket…

Yes it happens on my Roku 3 too, but it’s not super annoying. I gave them my logs, let’s hope it’s fixed soon.

Micro$$oft certainly did seem to invent “Ship it now, fix it later” ! And never quite fixing things did work for them.

What we have here is an ever worsening train wreck in slow motion, IMHO. Opportunity to make more $$ is slim to none.

I am guessing someone said that about M$ too :wink:

Thanks, I was wondering about that. I have a dual band router with a 5ghz band but the roku 2 doesn’t recognize it. I checked on the roku site and I didn’t see that the roku 3 would. I may head over to dbay.

I have the original Roku 3. There is a 2015 model Roku 3 that is improved but not everything Roku 4 has. Roku says OS 7 is coming to Roku 3, but Thanksgiving and Christmas are both coming too. Thanksgiving might be here before I receive OS 7 upgrade, but hope it doesn’t take that long.

AMEN!!! I can’t even imagine the nightmare that different network protocols and equipment bring…